Harlan County Police Chief busted for selling drugs (Sigh)

Harlan Daily Enterprise

A small Harlan County town needs a new police chief, because the current one got popped for trafficking drugs — which is very frowned upon for anyone, let alone a person in a position with so much honor and responsibility to the community.

WYMT reports Lynch police chief Jackie Stewart was arrested Friday after a “multi-agency investigation into narcotics in Appalachia was taken over by the FBI.” Chief Stewart and his partner in crime, Rettie Morris, conspired to distribute cocaine, meth and other controlled substances, according to the indictment.

When Stewart was introduced as the new chief of police back in September, he said, “During my administration I want to continue working on cleaning up the drug problem in the area.”

Nailed it.

[Lynch police chief charged with selling cocaine, meth]

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Harlan County Police Chief busted for selling drugs (Sigh)

1. shelby
    5:22 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

Like I’ve said so many times–every cop u see is just as likely to be a scumbag as anyone else.

• jwhitt787
      5:52 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

And I’ve heard everyone named Shelby is likely to have sex with farm animals.

• runningunnin.454
      6:23 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

What a betrayal of the public trust. However; shelby, your comment is uncalled for…the vast majority of police officers are brave, dedicated public servants. And, they are drastically underpaid.

• leon singleton
      9:18 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

To many unarmed blacks shot in the back.

• WeareBBN
      11:18 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

leon- you fail to mention those blacks, almost all the time, did something to put themselves in that situation. See, I know I will never be shot by a cop, cause IF I do get pulled over or stopped by one anywhere I will do as they ask, not run, drive at or away from them etc. Yeah, some may have been unarmed, but still their actions caused their death, not their color, in most if not all cases. Plus there have been many whites shot, asians shot, mexicans etc. There have also been many cops shot, many by black men. Mention all the things, not just what you want to portray. Just saw on news in Ohio a guy, color unknown and does not matter, fled from police and crashed car, then would not get out of car. See I know this will never happen to me, I would not put myself in that position.

• plumloopy
      1:09 am June 4, 2016 Permalink

WeareBBN, the problem is that the punishment should fit the crime, and police are not supposed to mete out punishment, they’re supposed to enforce the law. So unless police are in imminent danger from a suspect, shooting someone is not appropriate, even IF they weren’t doing what they were told.

Statistically, white people DO resist arrest, they just don’t get SHOT as much. But that’s okay with you, huh?

• griffinrc
      9:15 am June 4, 2016 Permalink

I agree that too many people get shot by the police. Sometimes that is the fault of the people being shot, although we know that is not always the case. We expect cops to be perfect, and that is a goal to try to achieve even if the rest of us don’t have to be perfect. This is from the Washington Times:

As researchers are quick to point out, FBI data on police shootings by race is notoriously incomplete, which may explain why Peter Moskos, assistant professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York, decided to use figures from the website Killed by Police.

Based on that data, Mr. Moskos reported that roughly 49 percent of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30 percent were black. He also found that 19 percent were Hispanic and 2 percent were Asian and other races.

His results, posted last week on his blog Cop in the Hood, arrived with several caveats, notably that 25 percent of the website’s data, which is drawn largely from news reports, failed to show the race of the person killed.

Killed by Police lists every death, justified or not, including those in which the officer had been wounded or acted in self-defense.

“The data doesn’t indicate which shootings are justified (the vast majority) and which are cold-blooded murder (not many, but some). And maybe that would vary by race. I don’t know, but I doubt it,” Mr. Moskos said on his blog.

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

See the Washington Times for more detail. Easy to find in a Google search.

2. onsides
    5:47 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

What a disgrace. Meanwhile, a few counties to the west of Harlan 18 students at Wayne County have been charged with felonies for ‘a senior prank gone awry.’

3. binarysolo
    6:13 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

Is that Hank Schrader?

4. shelby
    10:17 pm June 3, 2016 Permalink

Hey everybody, jwhit787’s mom is a farm animal lmao

5. BluKudzu
    5:40 am June 4, 2016 Permalink

Justified.

6. catfan5579
    9:06 am June 4, 2016 Permalink

I was born in Lynch and grew up in Cumberland, the Police were corrupt as I recall.

7. Tweety
    4:58 pm June 4, 2016 Permalink

Wish it would let me use the B instead of hitch.