Happy Anniversary, Tony Delk

Today marks the 13th anniversary of Tony Delk’s improbable 53 points in a game for the Phoenix Suns against his former team, the Sacramento Kings, in 2001. The former Wildcat great was 20-for-27 from the field, rarely grazing rim on his made baskets.

Delk, who averaged just 9.1 points per game over his career, is known as the most unlikely 50-point scorer in NBA history. His second-highest game total in his career was 26.

Happy Anniversary.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Happy Anniversary, Tony Delk

1. AnthonyBBN
    12:07 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I miss Delk, one of the best players to wear a UK jersey.

2. Delk for 3
    12:08 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Easily my favorite Wildcat of all time. What a player he was at UK. The man could just score.

3. Surprised
    12:13 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Can’t believe he didn’t have many games in the 30 and 40 pt range because he was really a great scorer!

4. Blueneck
    12:13 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

He always played bigger than he was. He would be more valuable in the league today than he was then (too many were looking for Penny Hardaway type guards instead of guys instead of guys who could play D, score from anywhere and flat out shoot). The only knock on Tony is that he was from Tennessee.

5. TN Cat
    12:18 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I believe he averaged around 50 points a game in high school here in Tennessee. One of my favorite wildcats.

6. DTuck
    12:23 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I talked to Tony for a few minutes in the lounge in Cancun. He was really excited to get his coaching career going. I hope to see him as an NCAA head coach one day.

7. cracka
    12:38 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

when td shot a 3, you were suprised if he missed

8. Joe
    12:44 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

A little off topic – but are the 3 goggles a thing of the past? The last team I remember doing it was out c-ship squad…..now the only ones doing it are fans and Manson. Has it jumped the shark or am I just missing it when/if our current players do it?

• AnthonyBBN
      12:50 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

I would think it is dead because we haven’t had anyone who could knock them down with any consistency since Lamb.

9. NBA league pass
    12:49 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Nice to see Tony Delk lighting up “white chocolate” in that video.

10. The Loco Pollo
    12:51 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Lawrence Funderburke appearance! If any of you young Cats fans don’t know his story, and ties to UK, it’s an interesting one. He hates Bob Knight more than any of us. Check it out.

TD is the man.

11. Rockfield, KY
    1:07 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Every UK fan has to love Tony Delk. I remember him as a good defender too. I wonder how many White Chocolate scored that game.

12. D
    1:11 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Salutes to TD and BK on same day. Good way to start the year. Hey #4, Randall Cobb from Tenn. too. They both saw the light! And it was Blue.

13. @William_Titan
    1:35 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

his shot is just like ken griffy jr.’s swing in baseball. it to beautiful.

14. Roger
    1:59 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Delk is one of my favorites as well. However, after reading the above comments, I wandered if my memory was that bad. He was a great, but for his career, he missed 6 out of every ten 3 pointers he took. Shot free throws at a clip of 70%. Oh, how our memories will fool us.

• Jus Sayin
      2:34 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

40% on three pointers is amazing…

15. He used to shoot those 3’s on a rainbow arc almost to the scoreboard!

16. Uhhh
    2:19 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

Roger, you do realize that 40% from behind the arc is well above average for that stat right?

17. Snowball
    3:57 pm January 2, 2014 Permalink

It’s crazy that almost none of the 53 came from 3 pointers….

18. Ben