The Phi Kappa Psi fraternity will be absent from the UK Greek community until at least 2021. They received the five-year suspension for hazing pledges, performing activities such as:
- Forced alcohol consumption to the point of vomiting with either warm/skunked Colt 45 called “Ring of Fire,” and a concoction called “Riptide.”
- Lineups in the basement of the fraternity that often involved yelling or verbal abuse.
- Pledges were not allowed to sit on furniture, not allowed in certain rooms of the fraternity house.
- Pledges performed calisthenics in/around vomit.
- During initiation week, pledges were forbidden from their place of residence, showering or using their cell phone.
- Pledges were forced to watch gay porn.
All of those violations were from a report by Denise Simpson of the Office of Student Affairs. Phi Psi confirmed that all of the violations took place, primarily in the fall of 2015.
It’s not “rolling toilet paper around a man and lighting him on fire” level hazing, but it’s still some pretty serious stuff.