Great American Cookies’ Thursday News and Views

Great American Cookies NCAA

Last week, we had a classic episode of “Wow, the NCAA is dumb” when news broke that South Carolina self-reported an infraction involving “impermissible icing” on cookie cakes given to football recruits (apparently the icing was in question because it was a “personalized recruiting aide”). Thankfully, the NCAA redeemed themselves just a bit by ruling that the icing wasn’t an infraction after all, and that cookie cakes are just fine by them. In a hilarious gesture, Great American Cookies sent a dozen cookie cakes to the NCAA’s headquarters to thank them for the ruling on Wednesday:

I love this because it exposes the NCAA’s stupidity in such a sweet, passive aggressive way. As John Short would say, Great American Cookies, you are great Americans.

It’s been a long summer, but UK sports news is finally back in our lives, so let’s get to it.

Calipari tells us what to expect in the Bahamas

After a tweet-worthy trip to the London Bojangles, John Calipari met with the media to preview the Bahamas trip. Here are the highlights

• He won’t coach all of the games in the Bahamas: Cal said that he’s going to let his assistants coach some of the games, presumably so he can watch without worrying about game management. He’ll also probably sit in on the ESPNU/SEC Network broadcasts to give his own commentary on the games. Even money that he still screams out instructions to the court.
  • Get ready for mass substitutions: Cal specifically mentioned he’ll be doing “platoon” style substitutions, rotating five players in for five players out. (Cue the Tubby Smith flashbacks.)
  • Expect losses: Cal said that his team “probably shouldn’t win any of the games” in the Bahamas a few times during the presser, but then he followed it up with this face:

calsmirk

Yeaaaah, I’ve seen that face before. This man doesn’t just love to win, he loves to prove people wrong. However, he said if his team does lose, it’ll be the best teaching tool yet: “Let them take an L on national television and see how hungry they are then. I’m trying to teach them.”

These quotes will make you smile

Andrew Harrison on why he wanted to come back to school: “I lost some weight (12 pounds), people saying I’m not athletic, stuff like that. I just want to prove people wrong. Also, my main thing, I want to win a national championship. That’s the biggest reason I came back.”

John Calipari on the players’ work ethic: “I mean, right now, you got guys at 11 o’clock at night, you got four, five guys in here.”

Alex Poythress on being in the gym late at night: “A lot of us are in here all the time, whenever we can. We’re all just gym rats, really”

Andrew Harrison on what’s changed for him and his brother: “I think it was just us realizing how much work it actually takes to be great”

John Calipari on Karl Towns: “Karl is way better than I thought, when I saw him in high school…What I’m seeing right now is a very active player that’s skilled and runs better than I ever thought he’d run. That’s now without really getting into the season and doing anything.”

These pictures will make you laugh

longlanter

UK released the official 2014-2015 basketball roster on Wednesday via neat pictures on Twitter. These two were my favorite because Brian Long is still rocking that ridiculous faux-hawk, and Tod Lanter, well, Tod Lanter looks like he’s auditioning for George Clooney’s role in Batman & Robin back in 1997:

lanterbatman

Just saying, it must have been a bit chilly in the studio that day. Also, in true Tod fashion, the guns are extra oily.

Meanwhile, Mark Stoops was NOT HAPPY with today’s practice

Angry Stoops was back with a vengeance Wednesday morning after what he called “an average practice.” Stoops said he was disappointed by his team’s lackluster effort and “guys feeling sorry about themselves for getting up early.” We’re only three days into camp, so read what you will into the team’s poor effort, but I appreciate how Stoops is holding their feet to the fire, or as he put it, “not giving them any place to hide.” This early reality check will be an excellent learning experience for all the young guys on the squad, which is what senior DT Mike Douglas is counting on:  “I think after a day like today, you just have to talk to the young guys. ‘Even though we had a bad day, don’t let that leak into the next practice.’”

Darius West is out for the season

Another bit of bad news on the football front: freshman safety Darius West injured his leg during practice Tuesday and will be out for the entire season. The news is doubly tough: West was one of the freshmen Mark Stoops expected to play early at a thin position; and this is his third lower leg injury. West broke his tibia twice in high school. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Darius.

However, this picture of Boom Williams is great

BoomWilliams

Williams did say that he picked the #18 for Randall Cobb and Jacob Tamme. Something tells me he’ll do them proud.

Matt had a spirited debate with John Feinstein at Valhalla

Matt and Ryan were at Valhalla for Wednesday’s show, seated right in front of John Feinstein, a renowned sports writer, radio host, and Kentucky hater. Matt was able to extend the show an extra fifteen minutes in order to interview Feinstein, and well, it’s just about as intense as you would expect. I’m certain that Ryan Lemond was cowering under a table somewhere. Listen below:

Speaking of Valhalla, OMG DID YOU HEAR TIGER WOODS SHOWED UP AND WILL PLAY??? Say what you will about Tiger Woods’ chances of ever winning another major, but there’s no denying he’s still the biggest story in golf, all for showing up for a practice round. The media took stalking to a new level on Wednesday, squeeing into their Twitter accounts when he showed up in the parking lot, tracking him as he tied his shoes, and analyzing every tee shot, chip, and putt. All for a practice round. That being said, I’ll be glued to the TV tomorrow when he tees off at 8:35 a.m.

See you then.

19 Comments for Great American Cookies’ Thursday News and Views

1. SHINY !
    11:10 pm August 6, 2014 Permalink

Todd Lanter looks like he’d slide off a leather couch …

2. on sale ... TODAY ONLY !
    11:11 pm August 6, 2014 Permalink

Brian Long look like he’d sell you a leather couch

• Uhhh
      12:47 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Swing and a miss

3. debate team capt
    11:47 pm August 6, 2014 Permalink

John Feinstein made Matt Jones sound like a high school kid, trying everything in his power to bully and complain about comments that Feinstein had made years ago…and the entire interview accomplished NOTHING. Young novice Jones took one right in the nose, from a pro, and I hope he not only learned something but walked away a little embarrassed.

• hal
      1:17 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

he answered “gaza” when asked what UK fans should care about more than UK b-ball.. so many other ways he couldve answered that question that couldve been wayyyyy less pretentious.
      and even though feinstein recognized duke & unc etc have cheated done shady things, UK’s worse than other programs (duke & corey maggette matt mentioned) simply b/c UK got caught/sanctions for illegal benefits.—that is/was exactly what matt’s point though: we all know UK isn’t only one with shady past yet UK is “worse” b/c why?? b/c for some reason UK gets caught & john wooden, coach k & roy havent despite good evidence

• dustyblues77
      8:52 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Debate team Captain.. Can you give me evidence how Feinstein beat him in the debate.. Justify that answer. By the way, if there should be a book burning Season on a Brink should top on the list…..Plus Feinstein said he had to run. That was a defense saying I do not want more.. Plus, when he tries to defend himself and take control in the interview he comes off like a bully and tries to flex his muscle to sound he is winning. .Listen to the substance more often chief

4. MW
    12:06 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

FYI…When KSR posts a audio link, I usually pass up on it unless it is someone important like Dick Vitale. Then I dig my headpnones out of the desk…

• OK
      8:50 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Thank you, I think we will all sleep better tonight knowing this

5. GoBigBlueSusieQ
    1:00 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

First thing Feinstein said involved his Pulitzers. Blah blah blah. I don’t know what you were listening to but I thought Matt made his points -Feinstein just bulldozed past them. He would NOT acknowledge Matt’s accurate point that we continue to be specifically called out when others are just referred to as a nonspecific group. Regardless of what Feinstein would acknowledge, Duke gets preferential treatment ALL THE TIME.and being a rabid UK fan does not mean we do not have our priorities in the right place. It doesn’t mean our families and faith don’t come first….it just means we have loyalty and passion (although Cal did hit it right on the head when he said we are crazy). We LOVE our Wildcats -they ring us JOY and give us a sense of PRIDE!

6. Oh no
    1:16 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

This is bad… Sounds like football is starting to circle the drain…
    Stoops complaining about a bad practice, again…
    We have heard this hyperbolic drama before…Not good…

7. Cathead in La Grange
    5:18 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s not Tod Lanter…that’s Tom Berrenger the actor

8. Tommy
    5:47 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Someone get Tod Lanter an Adult size jersey

9. arlo
    7:21 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

meanwhile, peter jurkin winds up in Johnson city at etsu.

10. Bob
    7:44 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Must be nice to get paid to watch golf all day.

11. dustyblues77
    8:30 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Next time anyone wants to complain about Matt Jones and this site. I want all Kentuckians and Kentucky fans that Matt Jones is great for us. He is defends us well. Although we may not be perfect but like Jones said who else is perfect. I like how Feinstein brings up UCLA, but what about Sam Gilbert, John? Nobody is perfect. I love my family, you love your family, and we love Kentucky basketball and this state. We are not losing our perspective on life. We hurt like the other people in 49 states that has a dying loved one or someone who is sick. It is part of our culture. So if you do not understand or want to understand and appreciate the culture from the outside, he criticizes it. He is that northern arrogance that I have a disdain for.
    But Matt Jones, thank you. You do not get enough credit for defending and being objective.

12. Melvit
    9:06 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Feinstein needs to provide proof that Rupp said he didn’t want black players because they were black. Rupp played black players at the high school he coached at before he came to UK.

13. RC
    9:37 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

My complaint with the Feinstein interview is that clowns like him LIVE for this attention. He knows he’s a villain and relishes the angry tweets, calls, forum posts, etc. etc. Without angry fans a guy like John Feinstein would be irrelevant.

Unfortunately, Matt Jones played right into his hands by putting him on the radio. If we want to quiet critics like John Feinstein then we need to ignore critics like John Feinstein.

• Carl in Lex
      10:46 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Excellent comment and well said. I too wish Matt had taken up his personal issues with Feinstein one on one and not on the air. I did appreciate Matt standing up for UK but I do not feel like anything was accomplished by giving Feinstein the ‘air time’.

14. Kyjones
    11:13 am August 7, 2014 Permalink

Agree this was pure showmanship. I appreciate any person taking up for the BBN, but MJ went overboard and showed his arrogance once again. Not a JF fan, but he was cut off repeatedly and wasn’t able to finish some of his thoughts on why he takes certain positions. Just my $.02.