Graduate transfer is on Kentucky’s radar

Charlotte’s Mike Thorne Jr. will transfer for his final season of eligibility and Kentucky has expressed interest in his services, reports Evan Daniels.

Thorne already has plans to visit Pittsburgh, Kansas and Illinois, and now UK is at least considering him as an option for next season.  At 6-foot-11, 270-pounds, he would help fill up some of the space left open in the paint. He averaged 10.1 points and 7.3 rebounds this past season for the 49ers.

We’ll likely hear more about Thorne if Kentucky picks up the pursuit, but for now, can we talk about that referee’s hair?

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 12.01.55 PM

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Graduate transfer is on Kentucky’s radar

1. DT in DC
    12:09 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

HAHA! That is the first thing I noticed. Proof ref’s really are the devil.

2. Mc12
    12:12 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

This will be interesting based on Cal’s message about recruiting 2 maybe 3 guys, and not signing guys to platoon.

Ulis, Briscoe, Matthews, Lee, Poythress? Skal, will be 6. My guess is he runs with 8 or 9 tops next season. He’ll definitely try to pick up another guard/wing that can score which is hopefully Newman. Then a big. He seems to like a physical presence down with his shot blocker in Skal so this would make sense if he doesn’t feel confident about either Poythress, Maker, Zimmerman and Diallo.

• Mc12
      12:14 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Or maybe if they bring this guy in, it’s only for a few mpg off the bench and to use against teams with physical players.

3. Azubuike's Bicep
    12:24 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I could be completely wrong, but as much as I love Cal, he hasn’t had great success with incoming transfers. Outside of Jorts, there’s Dodson, Harrow, Beckham, Eloy, and Mays. Mays was so-so and very likable, but still…

• abobicesaevior
      12:52 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I thought Mays, Vargas and Beckham all did a good job for UK. Great teammates, good in practice and classroom and provided meaningful minutes off the bench. I even like Harrow and thought he was a fine young man a gave great effort.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:54 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

At this point, I’d say he’s looking for bodies to fill in at practice versus the bigs. He knows he has Skal and will most likely get either Maker or Zimmerman along with having Lee back.

4. Laker Cat 18
    12:51 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

This is kind of off the topic, but refers to officiating. Did you all see the Kendrick Perkins 9-step travel the refs DID NOT call? It the main reason the NBA is terrible and will forever be less superior than college ball in my opinion.

5. SanDiegoCats
    1:00 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Damn I swear we went through all of this 2 years ago.

• abobicesaevior
      1:05 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

It just means we keep getting great players. I’ll take 4 Final Fours and a national title every 6 years. This Calipari guy is pretty smart.

6. drewr401
    3:25 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

So, I’m a little nervous…
    -We’re coming off and incredible season where we saw a mass exodus of talent to the NBA (2012/2015)
    -We have an undersized point guard with a year of college experience. (Harrow/Ulis)
    -We have a very good offensive guard coming in. (Goodwin/Briscoe)
    -We have a very athletic but not as skilled wing coming in. (Poythress/Matthews)
    -We have possibly the top player in the class coming in, a lean, rim protecting big man. (Noel/Skal)
    -We are reaching out to a larger bodied big man transfer. (Oriaki/Thorne)
    -We are in the hunt for but possibly won’t get, the best scorer in the class. (Muhammad/Newman)

I think maybe this week of pain has made me crazy though. Don’t mind me.

• UKfaninLou
      3:57 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I don’t care much for transfers and if this is true you gotta wonder if Coach Cal already knows he’s not getting Zimmerman, etc.

I don’t think it’s fair to lump Tyler Ulis with Ryan Harrow. All due respect, Harrow sat out a tournament game or two with a minor injury.

Ulis rocks and I can’t wait to,see him lead his team next season! Go Cats 2015

• drewr401
      5:01 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Definitely wasn’t comparing the two. Ulis is far and away better, just some odd similarities on the surface. He’s going to be incredible next year. I just think way too much during the off season haha

7. raymond57
    4:45 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Is that referee John Higgins the one that hose us in the final four?

8. martinbluther