Gossiping with Tony Vanetti (Friday Show Thread)

Good morning and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, our dear friend Tony Vanetti is stepping in for a vacationing Ryan Lemond to help Matt recap yesterday’s big news day, next year’s lineup, and share some gossip. Matt will also discuss his guest hosts for his two-week vacation in June. I think you’ll recognize some of the names…

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

53 Comments for Gossiping with Tony Vanetti (Friday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:50 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Well… glad that’s over now.

I really wish he had picked Kentucky University.

• runningunnin.454
      10:12 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

ENOUGH about Bolden. I watched every HS all-star game; and, yeah, if he got the ball under the goal, he would turn in a highlight spectacular dunk; but, what about the other 98% of the time? He’s got no motor. I wouldn’t trade any one of our incoming freshmen for him. And, his whole recruitment thing was a charade; we don’t need him or his momma.
      The only advantage I see for Dukie is depth; and if we get Briscoe back, I won’t worry about that much.
      If, and it’s a big if, we were to get Marcus back, I won’t worry at all.

• Kyblueblood
      10:13 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

^^^ Salty much?

• ukjaybrat
      10:26 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

In hind sight. if i could only have one player of the two, I would rather have Briscoe back than Bolden. bc that is the future of basketball (smaller more athletic lineups)>

But I wouldn’t have been upset if Bolden chose us. kid made a decision and hopefully it will haunt him when we beat duke in the final four next spring.

• If Briscoe can improve his shooting, even just a bit, he’ll be unreal combining that with his toughness.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Just amused; we covered him for months. The kid changed his mind over and over; then, before the announcement, he changes shirts (whose color is yellow, Marquette? Michigan?). Then we have a cake; oh no, it’s not the right blue.
      I am sorry to have missed the fireworks… I like fireworks.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Yep, and like they mentioned on the radio, the fact that Bolden started following Brad Calipari’s twitter feed makes me think the kid was toying with us. Why else would he do something like that?

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

To troll us RCF. If a guy commits to another school, fine. No skin off my nose. But, trolling is a dick move in my opinion.

• Realme
      11:16 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Eh, if he picked us and then trolled Duke we’d love it.

• ukjaybrat
      11:27 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

@Realme exactly. we ate up WG’s tweet the other day. i just ignore it. the second a recruit says he’s going somewhere other than UK i just ignore anything about them. don’t care and don’t need to know until the week we play them. til then, anything they say is a waste of my time.

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Once they’ve committed, then it’s on, and I enjoy a rivalry with some trash talk. I’m not sure how I feel about setting up a troll before you officially commit though.

2. Linda Schnitz
    9:56 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Vacationing Ryan Lemond? Vacationing from what?

3. Kyblueblood
    9:58 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Matt wearing a sportscoat with jeans…GDI

• catdaddyd
      3:01 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Looks like he got those jeans out of the freezer.

4. Crushgroove
    10:27 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

… Omar comin’.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Vanetti reminds me of a real good friend of mine – he is a UofL fan, but he’s funny as hell and a good guy in spite of that one character flaw. We have a lot of fun going back and forth with the rivalry. Back in 2007, when our Cats finally broke the streak in Football and Stevie Got Loose, I was at his party watching the game. He had a UofL ball cap on with the cardinal logo on it. Right after UK scored, my daughter (who was about 3 at the time) pointed at his hat and asked him “why is the birdie mad?” He replied right away “Because he’s losing!”. I about busted a gut laughing. 😀

6. Wow. Vanetti and his “You can’t tell parents to give guidance then criticize them when they do it!” rant. Dude, this wasn’t trying to keep the kid off drugs or something, it was a choice of colleges.

Of course I know he was being ridiculous and he knew it.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:35 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

I still like our team. It will be us or the University of Duke for the title next year.

• Kyblueblood
      10:36 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

And Tyler Ulis said kentucky university..so it cancels out?

• Auburn signees say University of Auburn all the time. Not rare. It’s just one of those things.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:42 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

You know what you’re getting with Ulis. Ulis turned out to have one of the highest basketball IQ’s at UK in my lifetime. You know nothing about Bolden or what he will bring other than a 5-star ranking.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

I have never understood why the University of Kansas gets a pass for going by “KU.” Dyslexic much?

• Realme
      10:47 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Uh, they can’t have UK, so what else would they do?

• ClutchCargo
      10:52 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

^ OSU, USC and probably many others disagree with you.

• Realme
      11:04 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Wrong. There is only one UK, and that is us.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:08 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

When you think of OSU and USC, I know who you are referring to. If you’re referring to Oklahoma State and South Carolina, that’s you’re problem if there is confusion, not mine. It’s known who is who.

• ukjaybrat
      11:10 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

The Big 8 schools all do that (cept texas bc they are better than everyone)

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Why is is OSU? Shouldn’t it be TOSU?? Since they are THE Ohio State University? (Also, how pretentious and stupid is adding THE in front of your university?)

• ukjaybrat
      11:11 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

the ‘U’ at the end i mean.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

I agree, J-Dub. If UK did that, all we would hear is how arrogant UK is. (Well, we hear that anyway, but it would be even worse.)

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

The point is that Kansas COULD go by UK. They claim it has nothing to do with Kentucky, but whatever. It seems dumb to me to just switch the letters around and think it makes sense. Laker Cat, there is no confusion on my part, just pointing out a couple of examples.

• Realme
      11:24 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

No they couldn’t. Every time they were mentioned, people would assume it was the real UK being discussed. Exactly as Laker Cat already illustrated.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:32 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Clutch – It’s all good. There are a ton of schools that have the same abbreviations, but you know who the king is. That’s all I was trying to relay.

• UKinIN
      12:24 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

ClutchCargo, supposedly KU was originally Kansas State University and when they dropped State they stuck with KU. I don’t know which is worse, the University of Kansas being called KU or Kansas State University being the sloppy second to use KSU.

8. Okay, I’m now AGAIN campaigning for a rewind button (like Tunein Radio has) so I can find out why they were laughing!!!

9. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Shannon prays at the Stone Temple of the Pilots…

10. J-Dub421
    10:51 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Over/under on Bolden’s mom moving into his dorm and becoming his roommate at Duke?

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

There’s “helicopter parents”, and then there’s Bolden’s mommy. Wonder if she is buds with Alex Legion’s mama?

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Does Bolden’s mom still cut his meat for him?

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

She probably chews it up for him after she cut it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

She probably still does that “mom thing” with the Kleenex where she wets it with her spit and wipes the crumbs and PB&J off the corners of his mouth. (Every kid hated that, BTW)

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

There is a wealth of “momma’s boy” material for jokes. 🙂

• Realme
      11:29 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

My mother-in-law used to be that kind of selfish mom that made everything he did about herself, until one day she went too far and he finally stopped putting up with it. She can still be awful occasionally, but no longer gets away with it.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

That sucks Realme. I got lucky, my mother-in-law is very sweet and loves me.

• Realme
      11:38 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

It’s all good now, thankfully.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Ha! I went to Trinity too, and I’m pretty sure I know what teacher Vanetti is talking about. I think she is the same one who taught our sex-ed class. Imagine that assignment – having to teach a classroom full of horny teen-aged boys at an all-male school about the birds and the bees.

12. Realme
    11:17 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Matt and Tony should be a regular show.

• RealCatsFan
      11:19 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Agree, they are pretty entertaining together with their back and forth.

• ukjaybrat
      11:31 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

tony is a regular on the MJ podcast. they are pretty entertaining on there.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

The image of Papa John and his wife seated at opposite ends of the long table like “War of the Roses” almost made me laugh out loud.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Bam’s real name is Edirice, I think.