Good News and Bad News from the Peach Jam

Good News: Calipari watched Bol Bol and Marvin Bagley last night.

Bad News: Bagley didn’t have a lot of good things to say about Kentucky.  In fact, all he had to say about UK was, “Eventually, we’ll get to Kentucky.”  Entering the tournament we thought the Cats were in a good spot to land the nation’s best player, but that’s not the case.

Good News: Bol Bol will visit UK, maybe for Big Blue Madness.  If you can’t get Bagley, Bol is an exceptional alternative.  One of the largest human beings I have ever seen can score from wherever he pleases.  That could eventually be Lexington.

Bad News: 247 thinks Bol will not play in Lexington.  Even though Bol said he isn’t upset about not getting picked to Team USA, Jerry Meyer told Ben Roberts he believes Bol will remain on the West Coast and play at USC.  Pulling Bagley and Bol away from the West will be a challenge, but I believe  Cal is in a good place right now with Manute’s son.

Good News: Cam Reddish scored 44 points.

Bad News:  Reddish’s performance was in the Peach Jam play-in game, and his team lost.  Now playing the minor league Peach Jam tournament for all those who didn’t qualify, he’s resting after a long week with Calipari in Egypt.  I was excited to see him play alongside Louis King, a guy who made Team USA and is searching for a UK offer, but instead it’s just a big bunch of crap.

Bad News: The talent here is WAY down.  I’d like to balance this out with more good news, but I can’t when I can’t see any good players play basketball.  Last year there approximately 12 players with UK offers at the event; five that eventually committed (Washington, Richards, Green, Knox & Diallo).  This year there are only two players with UK offers playing in the Peach Jam.

To make matters worse, the two guys with offers do not play on good teams.  Bagley’s team needed an exemption just to qualify.  His frontcourt partner can hardly walk and chew gum.  I was not the most coordinated basketball player, but even I reserve the right to call out this kid’s coordination.  Somehow, Bagley has carried them to two wins, equaling their regular season total, but it can’t last forever.

Good News: Malik Monk showed up.

Bad News:  Kevin Durant showed up.  The entire event is covered with KD’s face.  In the middle of Bagley’s game, he gave Coach K dap as he went to another court.  That impressionable statement is something you’d rather not see.

I could write more bad news, but I don’t want to be salty on a fantastic Friday morning.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Good News and Bad News from the Peach Jam

1. 3Goggles
    10:09 am July 14, 2017 Permalink

I fail to see how saying “Eventually we will get to Kentucky” is a bad sign for us. I’ve heard it twice (youre probably just parroting what Kyle Tucker said) but no one seems to be able to explain how that is a negative.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am July 14, 2017 Permalink

Clearly Kentucky isn’t a priority for him. That’s why it’s negative.

• 3Goggles
      1:31 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

Or it just hasnt been scheduled yet? Its not like he said he didnt care if he visits kentucky

2. ClutchCargo
    10:23 am July 14, 2017 Permalink

Nick’s having a Monday on a Friday. Put that in the Bad News category as well.

3. devotedsoles528
    11:46 am July 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal losing in the FIBA World Cup will hurt recruiting. That being said I don’t think there is a better coach for UK, but at some point the whole “it’s my fault, I should’ve have done this or that” gets old. It becomes a question of why? Why aren’t you able to win the game, why aren’t you able to make changes during the game to win? Why can’t you devise a plan to stop one player who is beating your entire team? It’s not the first this has happened to Cal…he has experience and should know what to do in that situation. The World Cup loss will hurt his chances with Langford & reddish. Sounds like Bagley is not at all impressed and just because Bol says it doesn’t matter…it matters.

• J-Dub421
      1:38 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

Sue, Cal should just throw his players under the bus like Pitino does.

• satcheluk
      9:14 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

Fans like you are tiresome. Just enjoy the games. Quit complaining.

4. runningunnin.454
    12:54 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

Don’t give Cal the ten count just yet…refresh my memory, what did they say about Knox?

5. BCO
    1:06 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

Its a little unsettling to think a few months ago, we were hearing Bagly, Bol, Williamson were having UK out in front and now that seems not to be the case. Really hoping we can steal Bagley, but for me Zion is the prize. We get him and hopefully Bol Bol and Langford, and I think we’ll be set considering we should have a lot coming back. I can see us only getting 3 maybe 4 recruits this go-around.

• J-Dub421
      1:37 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

I think we’ll very likely get Zion and Quickley. The rest, who knows?

6. snarkster
    1:57 pm July 14, 2017 Permalink

Why is King being without an offer “a big bunch of crap?” He’s at least fourth in Cal’s pecking order behind Williamson, Reddish, Barrett (likely reclass) and Reddish) when it comes to wing targets and we’re in good shape with each. He might be fifth depending on how Cal feels about Langford. A lot of time until even the Fall signing period. Why offer King when there’s a good chance he accepts and you miss on one of the top three. Cal has experience finessing this type of thing. Keep monitoring King until these guys start visits and hosting in-homes and things become clearer with the Big Three.