Getting ready for Cleveland and West Virginia (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, Wildcat friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sport Radio. There’s a LOT to go over this morning, so fill up your coffee cup and settle in. Matt and Ryan will recap Kentucky’s wins over Hampton and Cincinnati, describe how great it was to see the BBN take over Louisville, and finally, preview Thursday night’s matchup against West Virginia in Cleveland.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

60 Comments for Getting ready for Cleveland and West Virginia (Monday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:55 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

36-Oh yeah!

WV makes me nervous… not going to lie. Well at least we aren’t playing in Louisville anymore with the tight rims. Late game. I hope we are really rested and not playing N64 games.

Uncle Matt, you were right about Louisville. But they’ve had an easy way to get there, but you’ve think they’ve beat some NBA teams the way the fans go on.

• ukjaybrat
      10:16 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

they’re staying up late playing games so they sleep in…

they sleep in because we keep getting scheduled for 9:45 games…

we keep getting scheduled for 9:45 games because the ncaa knows everyone will stay awake to watch us

• UK_JB
      10:32 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Makes sense. I may some N64 myself to stay up.

2. Realme
    10:09 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Not looking forward to another super late game, against the team that leads the nation in fouls. But I will enjoy the relief afterwards when we win.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:12 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

West Virginia is nowhere near as talented as UK or any other team for that matter. However, Huggins’ teams are usually known for making good teams play very crappy games. Cats better not sleep on these guys. Their pressing defense is the best we have seen this year.

4. bouzoukiman
    10:23 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Another 1:30 a.m. KSR post game show!

5. Realme
    10:25 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Uh, the student section does that in Rupp every game.

6. Rixter
    10:25 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Of the other 15 teams in the tournament, Cats have beaten four of them by an average of 23 points!!!

• ukjaybrat
      10:31 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Louisville, North Carolina, UCLA… who else did we play ?

• Rixter
      10:33 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Duh, I counted Kansas. Slipped my mind they fot beat down.
      That brings our beatdown average down too, but the point is still valid

• ukjaybrat
      10:34 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

doh! yeah i thought i was missing something. i was looking at my scratched out bracket thinking i marked in the wrong team somewhere

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Will the post-game shows ever be put on podcast? I’d like to go back and listen to the ones I missed.

• Realme
      10:30 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Me too. Don’t think they care though.

• ukjaybrat
      10:32 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

only the REALLY good ones. i’d like to catch them too, but sometimes when i do stay up for them they are just drunk people calling in and asking stupid questions. So i convince myself i’m not missing much

8. Rixter
    10:34 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Tyler Ulis played 34 minutes Saturday. That might be a season high for any player…

• Laker Cat 18
      10:39 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

That won’t change much Thursday. Ulis is much better at breaking the press than Andrew Harrison. It’ll be like senior day for Harrison. He’ll get the start, but he’ll be out the first dead ball.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Actually Cal has been playing Andrew and Tyler together a lot lately.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:57 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

You’re right about that, but what’s the point? If he’s not at the point (which IMO he HAS to play to be on the floor), why does he play? You won’t see Andrew in the game against a pressing team in crunch time with the game on the line. 5 points, 2 assists isn’t enough production to make me happy if I’m his coach. Good thing I’m not I suppose. LOL

• ukjaybrat
      11:02 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

andrew has had zero turnovers in the last three games and only 2 turnovers in the last 5… he’s doing his job just fine

• Laker Cat 18
      11:20 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

You’re taking the “he’s not hurting us” approach and I agree with you on that. I’m taking the “he’s not helping us enough” approach. I don’t want to stay stagnant as a team. The best of the best should be on the floor in crunch time. Harrison AND Ulis on the floor together is not the best of the best for what we do. Against a pressing team, Andrew Harrison is not helping us much. Any other team, he would probably be my pick. It’s about match-ups.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Andrew has played very well especially the last half of the season. I like having both the Harrisons and Ulis on the floor together. It gives us multiple options for three point shooting and more than one option for a ball handler, and all three can drive the lane.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Disagree, Andrew can throw over top of the press with his size, Tyler has struggled with traps etc. in the back court at times because he’s small and can’t see to throw over the top.

• Realme
      11:26 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

If not for both point guards, we would not be 36-0. I agree with J-Dub, Andrew is playing very well, and I love when both are on the floor together. Thankfully neither of them buys into the one should play more than the other discussion. It could have been the “clutter” that hurt our team chemistry, but they chose to take pride in working together and I love that almost as much as a Willie stare.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:33 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I disagree. Playing both Harrisons & Ulis at the same time leaves Booker on the bench. That’s insane. Ulis is way more agile side-to-side than Harrison. Of course size is an issue for Ulis, but I don’t think it outweighs his strengths compared to Andrew in pressing situations. Andrew looks to give the ball up a lot more in presses than Ulis. He’s able to do that because of his size. Ulis is better at breaking presses on his own. Cal sees it too. That’s why Ulis logs more minutes against pressing teams than Andrew.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Realme – I agree with you both in different aspects. I’m not saying Ulis is the superior PG on the team. ONLY against pressing defenses. I said previously that I’d take Andrew against most other teams. If you’re taking a 3 guard offense, you’re going with either Andrew/Ulis, Aaron, and Booker. Not Andrew AND Ulis. You’re leaving Booker or the kid who has to carry his balls in a wheelbarrow on the bench in that scenario. I’ll always say that playing them both at the same time is not helping us much. Very commendable that they’re all able to put their egos (or lack thereof) aside for the benefit of the team!

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Booker has not played well for the last several games, and I’m not just talking about poor shooting. His defense and passing have been off too. I love Devin, but he’s looked nervous and hasn’t played well in the post-season.

• Realme
      11:46 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

LC I totally see what you’re saying, but if Andrew doesn’t turn it over against the press, and Tyler can get trapped, it’s a wash for me. If Devin was playing well (not just 3 pointers, but defense), I would probably feel different. Heck, if it were up to me we’d still be platooning, so I’m far from expert. 🙂

• UKfaninLou
      11:52 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Preach it, Real Me! Love Andrew and Ulis together! Have some of you SEEN how the team responds when Andrew drives and scores? And his 3’s are falling. Make no mistake, this is Andrew Harrison’s team. If it ain’t broke, don’t tweak it.

9. Wheels
    10:36 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I’m nervous about the match-up with WV.

I haven’t had much luck attending tournament games. WEnt to Syracuse for the matchup in 2010 and we lost. Went to the championship game last year and we lost.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:38 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Stay home please. Thanks.

• ukjaybrat
      10:38 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

STAHP GOING TO GAMES !

• old_blue
      12:57 pm March 23, 2015 Permalink

At this point you know that your “going to the game” mojo is negative. Please do what you can to counteract that negative mojo and stay home. Thanks!

10. houndstooth
    10:38 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

are you going to talk about how WV presses after missed shots? I’m thinking a lot of throws over the top of that press with layups and dunks.

• ukjaybrat
      10:40 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

trying the same press after every missed shot leads to predictability and guards can pass over / in / around the press to get the easy layins… but wvu mixes up the press. where it comes from, where on the court they set it up.

that being said, our backcourt combo is the best in the country imo…. it’ll be an interesting point to watch

11. lexslamman
    10:42 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

With Ben Howland coming in, the SEC will once again have some of the best coaching talent in D1 basketball. If only Alabama had shown a little more patience with Anthony Grant.

12. lexslamman
    10:43 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I think playing the Cincy team on Saturday and Arkansas in the SEC tourney is all the preparation UK needs for WVU. The team has shown that they can’t be outrun or out ‘toughed.’

• Laker Cat 18
      10:49 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Cincy was just physical. They couldn’t shoot, dribble, or pass. Their biggest asset were their mouths. Arkansas tried to run with the Cats, but they abandoned that pretty quick. I saw WVU pressing better with 5 minutes to go in the game last night than they did to start the game. The press will be way more intense than we saw with Arkansas or even Louisville. We have to prove we can break it very early in the game, which we haven’t really done yet. We normally start slow and capitalize late. Our depth shows.

13. bigbluecoop
    10:44 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I’ve see WVU a few times this year. Yes, they like to press the whole game and try to create turnovers, but they are at times, like UC, offensively challenged and turnover prone themselves. They haven’t scored over 80 points since January 24th in an OT game against that juggernaut TCU. Teams that have tried to press UK have failed miserably. We got this.

14. J-Dub421
    10:48 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I was at out Thursday and Saturday games. The crowd was super loud on Saturday against Cincinnati. I yelled myself hoarse, my voice is still trying to recover.

• ukjaybrat
      11:01 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

people were complaining that there wasn’t any energy in the arena thursday night and that’
      s what caused the sluggish start and end of game. but after a long day of games and not getting a start til almost 10:30, everyone was exhausted. then the refs sending ppl to the free throw line every 15 seconds nearly put me to sleep… Saturday was a much different story. much louder

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

The crowd and the team were a bit flat on Thursday, but that was to be expected in a late game against Hampton.

15. Laker Cat 18
    10:53 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

We need Booker to come out of his shooting slump. He shot 33% Saturday and 0-5 from 3-pt range. Not good for a potential lottery pick. Maybe his slump causes him to slide down the draft enough to stay another year?

• ukjaybrat
      11:00 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

yeah but his slump could also cost a championship and 40-0… i’d rather him get his shot back and leave than lose and have him back…

• cracka
      11:04 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I remember when Booker committed, Matt said he was not the kind of player Cal had been getting … that he was likely a 4 year player … now, we’re just hoping we get him for a second year

• Laker Cat 18
      11:16 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I’m with you. Much rather have the title than another year. Both would be nice!

16. houndstooth
    11:11 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

You keep saying adults shouldn’t tweet kids… do you think it’s mainly just kids tweeting kids for the most part?

• houndstooth
      11:12 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

oops it was suppose to be “Don’t you think”

17. CWS
    11:12 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Somebody get Matt a Snickers.

18. J-Dub421
    11:16 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Octavious Ellis is a thug. He kept trying to flop and get our guys ejected. He was literally trying to draw a flagrant foul.

• Realme
      11:28 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

It drove me crazy listening to the announcers praise him for playing so dirty. I’m so sorry he had that childhood tragedy, but that does not mean he’s not a jerk now.

• Realme
      11:31 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

It’s like when Kevin Ware broke his leg that somehow made him a hero.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Ellis was part of the Xavier/Cincy brawl a couple of years ago, was involved in a bar brawl after that and kicked off the team. After spending 2 years at a juco in Texas, he came back to Cincy. He was ejected more than once earlier this season. That is a pattern of bad behavior.

19. CWS
    11:18 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Did you notice WLKY 32 TV would show a cardinal somewhere in the background of all there news clip on UK

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t but that’s not surprising.

• UKfaninLou
      11:48 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

It annoys me that wdrb has all their tournament signage on a red/black background.

20. PuffyNips
    11:44 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Matt, UC hasn’t beaten UK since 1939.

21. bigbluecoop
    11:47 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

UL gets to Indy, if they can find tickets. They have one good shooting game and everyone loses their minds.

22. J-Dub421
    11:51 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Trimble got accidentally kicked in the back of the head by his own teammate, not really a good example of poor officiating.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am March 23, 2015 Permalink

Anyone else think Ron Baker bears a striking resemblance to the Shockers mascot?