Getting ready for a big week (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap the events of the weekend, including Big Blue Madness, the latest in basketball recruiting, and all the upsets in college football. They’ll also look ahead to Saturday’s game vs. Mississippi State, Pitino officially being ousted at UofL, and tomorrow’s interview with Karen Sypher.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

41 Comments for Getting ready for a big week (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I’ve been a huge volleyball fan since the U.S. ’80s world domination; yesterday’s domination of Florida was just as sweeet; thanks UK ladies for a thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours.

• Remember when Wilt Chamberlain tried v’ball for a while after b’ball?

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I think he played for a pro team in Seattle. But of all his sports achievements, the 20,000 is the most impressive…I guess.

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Now that is a middle blocker that I would not want to have to hit against.

While we are on the subject – big shoutout to our women’s volleyball team. Took #1 Florida to the woodshed on their own court. Will be ranked top-3 in the nation next week if they take care of business this week. Craig Skinner is quietly building a nationally prominent volleyball juggernaut in Lexington.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Go Cats! I want all UK teams to win all the time. Let’s continue to climb in the Directors Cup rankings. All Cats Everything.

• RG, for spiritual reasons 🙂 I prefer to think of it as his 100 point game. Plus, do the math. It just isn’t possible.

That said, kudos to the UK v’ball team!!! Did you notice he kind of copied Neal Brown with his locker room comments afterward?

2. Random comment about the Florida game: I saw on the “Bum Chillips” Twitter feed that was linked by Kindsey Bernhard yesterday where a UK fan said:

“Our uncover 2 defense is revolutionary”. Hilarious! And sad at the same time. I literally LOL’d when I read it.

3. Realme
    10:14 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Good for Matt for getting that interview. Should be riveting and nationally significant.

4. Oh man, Billy Joel is the BEST!

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Pretty much everything on “The Stranger” was really good. Not so much into his newer stuff.

• Realme
      10:32 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Does this mean KSR just talked bout him and therefore he is under the curse?

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

:O

• Don’t tell my wife I told you all this story. 🙂

If you couldn’t tell already I LOVELOVELOVE me some Billy Joel. He is just a master to me.

Several years ago my wife called me at work and said, “I just won 2 backstage passes for the Billy Joel concert from (whichever radio station), but then I remembered you’re teaching tonight, so I told them we couldn’t use them after all.” I said “WHAT? I could have worked something out! Call them back!” She said it was too late, and I just cringed. I said “Why didn’t you accept them THEN call me? They could have given them away again if necessary.” She said she didn’t know I could have worked it out.

Anyway, only 1 time did I ever say anything about it after that (was telling a friend what happened in her presence). She got mad because she felt I was trying to make her feel guilty, and she already felt bad enough. I have NEVER EVER said anything about it again, but man, every time he comes on the radio I think about that a bit. I’m not mad at my wife, and I don’t want her to feel bad, but man…it was BILLY JOEL!!!

• Of course it would have been my luck he wouldn’t have paid me the time of day. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Chris, reminds me, we were in New Orleans one year…we took a paddle boat cruise down the river. I love those things…my Grandfather took me for a cruise on the Belle of L’ville when I was young.
      Anyway, on the trip to N.O., in a couple of days, Johnny Rivers was going to be performing on one of the cruises; but, my wife wanted to go home…haven’t got over that yet.

• Realme
      11:18 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Sitting here wondering what important life experience I accidentally deprived my husband of, lol.

• lol @ Realme. RG, I hear ya!

• Quick question RG: was/is Johnny Rivers really that iconic? Or are you pulling my leg?

• runningunnin.454
      12:59 pm October 16, 2017 Permalink

Not pulling your leg; really liked Johnny Rivers…he was pretty big in the ’60’s….remember Secret Agent Man? Anyway, I liked that he covered a lot of ’50’s classics, especially the Chuck Berry songs.

5. 4everUKblue
    10:22 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

How fitting after talking about having Karen Sypher on you run a commercial about Ed having ED and PE issues. Wonder if Ed lasted longer than 15 seconds.

6. Realme
    10:24 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

This weekend my husband & I were talking about the media day comments from Cal that he wished were more reassuring. And I realized that after seeing UNC go unpunished, I could care less if we got in trouble. I don’t think we will. But I just don’t respect that organization, and think their authority is a joke. It the Cards refuse to take their banner down, I will cheer them on.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

The NCAA has a terminal case of ED.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Trouble is, the FBI is in no way like the NCAA. All order would be restored in the world if UNC ended up getting busted – hard – by the FBI after they are all gloating over getting away with murder at the hands of the NCAA. It would be a lot like OJ Simpson getting nailed for armed robbery and put away after he got away with murder and was gloating and living the high life. Karma, you have some work to do int he state of North Carolina!

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I think Memphis should hang their banner back up and sue the NCAA to get their money back and wins reinstated.

• ky196
      10:46 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

How do we get a viral public shaming of the “TAR BUMS” started? I can’t believe that this subject won’t be discussed during every game they play this year!

7. 4everUKblue
    10:26 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Did Matt just say squirt to the ceiling or is my hearing failing me?

8. Realme
    10:32 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I thought madness was good, and for once the SEC Network let us see pretty much everything, and just talked over the music without making us look at their faces too much. Really expect to love this team.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I completely forgot that it was on. Sorry I missed it. All I saw was the last part of the scrimmage.

• KYcats11
      10:40 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I was a bit surprised by how much of BBM they actually showed, as I thought it was going to be boring, because of all the talk from them.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

UK basketball is on SEC network for, I think, 6 Fridays in a row; and ‘Bama fans are saying…”what? it’s football season”.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:54 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I enjoyed it when one of the hosts basically told the others to be quiet because he wanted to hear Cal…

• Realme
      11:00 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Farnham knows, probably form experience, how much fan flack he would have gotten for talking over Cal.

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

There are a lot of announcers who really love to hear themselves talk.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:41 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I think Petrino has lost 6 out of last 10…with a Heisman QB.

• secrick
      10:56 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Would they dare let him go ?

• If they actually get a new AD, it’s very possible. Having a new prez adds to that possibility IMO. Often a new AD wants to bring in their guy, even without the school being Scandal U.

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I was with several U of L fans over the weekend (my husband and some of his friends). I very quietly gloated to myself in secret as their team lost.

10. Realme
    11:04 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

I’m trying to average one typo per comment today, btw.

11. secrick
    11:13 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Do you guys think Jurich will be back at U – 6 ?

12. J-Dub421
    11:14 am October 16, 2017 Permalink

Ooo! I do want Kelvin Johnson. He’s a good shooter and you can’t have too many of those.

13. “Deep thoughts, with Matt Jones.”