Gerard Butler doing three goggles wants Wednesday Night News and Views

image1image2

Why yes, that is handsome Hollywood actor Gerard Butler throwing up three goggles. Butler is currently in Louisiana to film the upcoming action flick “Geostorm,” and was nice enough to pose with two victorious Cats fans at a restaurant after last night’s game. The goggles look good on you, Gerard, but then again, pretty much everything does.

News? Let’s do it.

John Calipari wants to see his team get back to beatdowns

Calipari was feisty on his call-in show tonight, and after hearing the talking heads dissect the team’s close win over LSU and apparent “struggles” on offense, he had had enough. “Folks, we’re sixth in the country in offense,” Cal said. “To be sixth in the country in efficiency, that’s the highest rated one of my teams have been. Ever.”

One thing Cal attributes his team’s numbers on offense to is depth. “I like that it’s different guys every game,” Cal said. “A game ago, it was Aaron. This game, it was Andrew. Karl Towns has stepped up the last couple, but it’s also been Willie. Dakari has played better. Dakari finally started fighting again, and I thought he played well this last game. Tyler hasn’t been playing well–I told him, ‘you’re slipping a little bit kid’–but he’s going to be fine. He knows. These guys know. I told Devin today, ‘you haven’t made a shot in a week, but you’re still playing pretty good.'”

However, there is always room for improvement, and you’re not the only one who was frustrated when the Cats blundered a 13-point lead last night. “We’re trying to get better. We’re trying to learn. We gotta go after some people,” Cal said. “What we need to do is let’s get a little bit back to getting up 12, 13, what do we have to do? We’ve gotta push it to 20, 25.”

Oh, South Carolina…I’m sorry.

Cal was still ranting about Karl’s chin-up on his call-in-show

“The chin up was, ‘I fumbled it, I should have dunked it, so I gotta do something to make myself look good.’ So he chins himself. You understand that was a six-point play. We had two, they had one free throw, and then made a three. A SIX-POINT–I hope we lose. Oh, I did say it. I HOPE WE LOSE! You gotta learn, son! I hope we lose!”

Cal said that his staff wanted him to call a timeout after the technical, but he refused. “My staff wanted me to call a timeout. NO! Noooooo! This boy’s learning!,” Cal said. Celebrating Keith Hornsby’s three seconds later drove the lesson home:

cal-lsu

It wasn’t all bad cop; Cal did say that he’s very proud of Karl for the way he responded. “Did he grow up? Do you think he’s ever going to chin up again? Really, you don’t think so? That’s why I did it. These are teaching moments.”

ESPN thinks Kentucky’s best chance of losing is at Georgia

And even then, the Worldwide Leader believes Kentucky has an 85% chance of beating the Dawgs and a 72% chance of finishing the regular season unbeaten. While I agree that Kentucky’s chances of entering the postseason unscathed are high, I can’t put too much stock into these percentages given the “Everybody’s Super Bowl” factor.

I can guarantee you Cal’s laughing at that graphic too. On his call-in show, he listed three teams in the conference that are capable of beating his in the SEC Tournament. “You’ve got Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mississippi, all three of them can beat us. Literally, two of them had us in overtime and double overtime and the other beat us twice last year,” Cal said, adding that LSU is right below that group.

Mark Stoops got a Yahtzee from 3-star 2016 CB Tobias Gilliam

Tobias Gilliam, a three-star cornerback from Hubert Heights, Ohio, is now the 8th member of Kentucky’s 2016 class. Gilliam is teammates with 4-star 2016 QB Messiah deWeaver, who decommitted from Michigan last month after a visit with Shannon Dawson and Derrick Ansley. DeWeaver is considered the 13th best pro-style QB in the 2016 class and wished Gilliam well on Twitter:

“Just want to say congrats to my brother and teammate @Tob7as_ ! Proud of you, Love you bro! One of the hardest workers I know. He deserved it ! They got a good one.”

Plenty of room in Lexington for you too, Messiah.

Chad Ford’s latest Big Board has four Cats in the top 20

4. Karl Towns
7. Willie Cauley-Stein
13. Devin Booker
19. Trey Lyles

Dakari Johnson came in at #34. After Karl and Willie’s recent impressive performances, it’s no surprise their stock is soaring; in fact, during his weekly chat, Ford said if Towns was getting the minutes and touches Jahlil Okafor does, he might be #1 on that list. And to think, only a few weeks ago, some of us were wondering whether or not Towns needed another year in school. Sigh.

Spencer Hall’s article about Tom Crean is hilarious

What is wrong with Tom Crean? That’s a great question. That’s what you say when someone asks a really good question, i.e. one you you do not have the answer for at all. You can start with this: Basketball coaches are categorically strange. They live indoors and rarely see the sun in a way that would bother even the most callous military officer. I’m saying that because I remember reading about soldiers on the Maginot Line during World War I, and how they would lie under lamps to simulate the sun their jobs stole from them. The French grow mushrooms in those buildings now. You could probably do the same in what we imagine to be Tom Crean’s dark, horrifying office.

Click this link for more of that. Years of calling out Tom Crean’s creepiness suddenly feel validated.

That’ll do it. I’ll leave you with this video of DeMarcus Cousins singing Boyz II Men’s “I’ll Make Love To You.” If that doesn’t get you ready for Valentine’s Day, I’m not sure what will:

A video posted by Joker Evans (@reggieevans30) on

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Anthony Davis has pulled out of this weekend’s All-Star Game with a right shoulder injury. Here is his statement: image

15 Comments for Gerard Butler doing three goggles wants Wednesday Night News and Views

1. VitaminCBold
    11:50 pm February 11, 2015 Permalink

Anthony not playing in the ASG is such a shame. The kid deserves it.

2. DelrayCat
    12:45 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

Please stop making the “3 Goggles” sign cat fans!
    Don’t you all realize this is a Satanic symbol for 666, as well as the Masonic/illuminati “eye”!

• Katya
      4:10 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

Heil Satan 14/88

• WillySpankit
      7:38 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t know that, but now I’m going to do it more!

• Melvit
      7:57 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

I’m a mason and I know you’re wrong about the eye part, but how is it a symbol for 666? More like 111.

• UKBigDaddy4
      12:20 pm February 12, 2015 Permalink

I have some foil, if you need to make a new hat DelrayCat..I’m hoping, but not optimistic, that was sarcasm…

3. RealCatsFan
    7:38 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

It sure looked to me like Davis was pushed in the lower back on that play. The refs really need to put a stop to that crap. If you can’t make a legitimate play on the ball and you do something like this, you should be ejected and have to sit a few games.

4. WillySpankit
    7:40 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think our chances with Messiah DeWeaver are as good as our friends here at KSR are thinking. Yeah he decommitted after a visit with UK coaches, but Mark Dantonio visited him that day too, and most think he’s a Michigan State lean. I hope we do get him, but I’m not banking on it.

5. Rixter
    8:11 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

I understand Cal wanted to teach KAT a lesson. But whatever happened to the old fashioned head butt, ala Bobby Knight? Does he have to bring down the whole team and all of BBN by trying to facilitate a loss?
    Also, I notice he said ‘I hope we lose’.. not, ‘I hope I lose my job’….. no, I’m not sure this was a ‘players first’ move, this was some of Cal’s ego coming thru. I don’t talk bad about Cal often, but I think he was wrong in this instance.
    If I’m Pitino, or Pearl, or Self, you think I don’t show every recruit that clip of Cal pumping his fist in celebration when an OPPONENT hit a 3?!?!

• Melvit
      8:31 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

You clearly don’t understand Cal’s point. Cal never wants to lose. You’ve never heard anyone say “I hope you fall and break your arm, then you won’t do that again.”? They really don’t hope they fall and break their arm, they are just making a point that the other person is doing something stupid. In that gif above, I don’t see a coach happily celebrating the other team’s 3 pointer, I see a very pissed off Cal driving home a point to his player that hurt his team.

• Catsby80
      8:52 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

Rixter… do you really think Cal does things without a purpose? He is a master manipulator. Everything he does is for a reason. This is a motivational thing, as well as a teaching moment. He wanted to see how Karl would respond… and I think we can all agree that it worked. Just let Cal do Cal and coach his team.

6. Time Expired
    9:59 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

At this point in the season we can all forget that this UK team in not gonna set any defensive records. The worst teams in the SEC are now shooting over 45% against us. Florida was doing layup drills on us and LSU was unstoppable inside. We already seen what Ole Miss and A&M did to us and that is walking a very fine edge for this team. Hope to see improvements if the Cats are to go on to win out.

• Mc12
      10:14 am February 12, 2015 Permalink

I get your point that the defense has had some let downs, but I think they’ll be fine. I disagree with your A&M example. They scored 53 points in regulation and took two overtimes (10 additional minutes) to score 11 more points. That averages out to a 44 point pace for a full game. They also shot 33% from the field and 13% from 3. Kentucky’s issue that game was their offense, and in particular, inside the arc shooting 9-36 from 2.

7. CatBlue in LR
    12:23 pm February 12, 2015 Permalink

“Unless this group turns totally apathetic in the SEC Tournament, I don’t see that happening. Especially in front of 18,000 Kentucky fans in Bridgestone Arena.”

I agree the Cats will be locked in come SEC tournament time. But, Tyler, don’t forget they have to face Arkansas before then. After they go through the regular season undefeated, and they’re playing for trophies, there’s no way they’ll let anybody take it away from them. But I don’t think they’ll yet be locked in when they have to play Arkansas, and I’m afraid too many people are already chalking that up as a victory. I’m leery of the Hogs. If Ole Miss and Vandy can play UK tough in Rupp, Arkansas certainly is capable. Nothing would be worse for us Cat fans living down here than for the streak to come crashing down against Arkansas. Please don’t let that happen!

• Catsby80
      1:13 pm February 12, 2015 Permalink

I think this team will be prepared for Arkansas. I think losing to them twice last year will keep them level headed for that game. The one that I circle is honestly at Tennessee. I know the Vols are down but that to me seems to be quite a trap game… Mid-week game on the road against a team that a lot of people have written off… I think this team will be prepared for Arkansas and @UGA… hopefully the garbage man orange doesn’t pull of the shocker.