Georgia Southern Quarterback Arrested after Cops Confuse Bird Poop for Cocaine

Joshua Kelly | USA Today Sports

One nasty bird almost ruined Georgia Southern’s star quarterback.

Shai Werts was pulled over for speeding on July 31. As officers approached his vehicle, they noticed a white substance on the hood of his car. Before writing Werts a ticket, the diligent officers used a roadside test to see if the white substance was cocaine. Relying exclusively on a positive test result, officers charged Werts with possession of cocaine.

The dashcam footage reveals the calm conversation Werts had with the officers.

“That’s bird shit. I swear to God. Can I tell you something? That’s bird shit.” The officer responded: “Unless the bird inhaled cocaine.”

Werts explained that he tried to use a gas station squeegee to remove the pile of poop from his hood earlier in the day. Instead of cleaning of the mess, it spread it all across the front of his car.

Once a sample was collected and received further tests by law enforcement officials, charges were dropped. The All-Sun Belt quarterback simply has to pay a fine for the speeding ticket.

As a punitive measure, the cops should take care of the speeding ticket too. Police officers should be thorough, but more importantly, they need to have common sense. Cocaine is a powder. Unless Werts threw it in water and spread it all over the hood of his car to advertise his drug dealing business, it would fly high into the sky faster than LeBron James can be introduced into the starting lineup.

Let this be a lesson to all — stay away from bird poop. You could end up with histoplasmosis, or worse, in jail.

[USA Today]

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

25 Comments for Georgia Southern Quarterback Arrested after Cops Confuse Bird Poop for Cocaine

1. Underdog
    7:29 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

To any peace officers out there,

I’ll try to reason with you.

Yes, we know you’re “doing your job.”

But, what harm did this man do to you? Even if there was ANY drug smeared on his good, did cause harm to any other man?

But look at your actions. YOU (the police officer “doing his job”) kidnapped the man. If somebody came up to you at gunpoint and hauled you off to a cell, what would you call it?

YOU committed a REAL crime. You deprived a man of his liberty. And what about his vehicle? I imagine YOU stole his vehicle and then required the man to pay money to get his own vehicle back.

YOUR crimes:

1) Kidnapping/ deprivation of liberty.
    2) Theft of property
    3) Bearing false witness (and WHY? Because you’re are asked to violate the rights of man)

Oh, but it’s okay because “it’s your job”.

To me a real service-oriented peace officer should try to PREVENT these 3 crimes of bearing false witness, theft and kidnapping, not COMMIT the crimes.

YOU are harming man instead of protecting man, and yet you hypocritically read the man his rights.

I say this to get you to think about what you are doing. Please serve and protect and stop harming your fellow man.

• MoscowMitchtheMassacreB!+(]-[McConnell
      7:50 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

I personally condone the police taking your rights away for no reason. I can’t wait for Trump to “lose” the election and turn this into a Republican owned police state.

• sportsbird66
      11:58 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

6 more years of Trump. You better get you mind right Skippy.

• Han
      8:13 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Well, I guess we should at least be glad this isn’t another story about a cop, afraid for his life and just wanting to get home to his family, shooting another unarmed civilian. As far as police incompetence goes, at least we can laugh at their stupidity (and maybe racial profiling) on this one.

• Cousins Fake Tooth
      9:18 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

You’re an idiot Moscow.

And Han, didn’t take long for a moron to mention race.

2. chardun20
    7:37 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

That’s BS, who leave’s cocaine on the hood of their car?

• JASUN74
      8:21 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

I hear you man. It’s too expensive to just leave on the hood!!

• Bluehender
      8:28 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

I submit to you that only an idiot would do that…the real question might be, what idiot would think that bird poop might be cocaine?

• nocode96
      9:08 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Pigs, if there’s an idiot that can assume it, it’s a damn pig.

3. JASUN74
    8:19 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

You’re right underdog. The cop wanted that to be cocaine soo bad. I’m a white male, but I see what the hell is going on in this country, and hate that a young black man can’t just live his life without being scared for himself, his family and his future. It makes me so f—king mad and I wish to god it would just stop!! I’ve cried my eyes out over it actually when I’ve watched and read about some of the stuff that just keeps going on.

It’s just not fair!! I guarantee if it would’ve been me, that cop wouldn’t of even thought about something smeared on the car. That kid is just going to hate me more than he probably already does and it breaks my heart for him. Like you wrote Nick, if it would’ve been coke or something it would’ve blew away and what the hellll does it matter if something is on the outside of the car? That could’ve been anything!! I’ve waxed my car and saw others with white residue on them before plenty, but I would’ve never in a million years even though about testing it to see if it was drugs!!

This may not seem like a big deal, but a lot of cops are just wanting to start a confrontation with you and will try to get you to argue. I’ve saw it plenty in my hometown as a younger man where they would pull up to people or pull them over to try their best to make you mad so they could fight. Anyway, sorry, this isn’t about me. I hope that young man sues the heck out of them but I doubt anything will happen. I just hope he knows that not every white person thinks like that, and some of us love every one.

God love his heart, I just can’t believe a man could still treat his fellow man like that! Well I do believe it because it’s happening every day in the world. We need to put a stop to this shiiit right now though.

To all the fans here that are of a different color, just know that I love you and every body else here. Doesn’t matter to me what color anyone is or what ever difference we all may have. I know there’s people right here on this board that has been abused and mistreated by cops and others, I just want to say I’m sorry from the bottom of my heart that you’ve had to or still going through whatever it was. I wish I could take it on my back for you!!! I’m going to be praying for Shai, and I hope everyone of you all will to. Thank you all, even mash tater. Lol

• WildcatCam
      9:06 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Jasun, thank you bro! I pray that more white brothers like you, come out and form more relationships with people of color and speak out publicly the way you did, more often! God bless you!

• nocode96
      9:20 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

There’s plenty of us, we just happen to be drowned out by the loud and proud idiots the current political climate has made feel safe and boisterous. No college quarterback named Chad or Tucker has ever been arrested for shlt on their car hood, I can guarantee you that.

• JASUN74
      9:58 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Thank you guys. I know changes in people can happen but most are so hung up on their pride, stubbornness or hate to try to make those changes. Nocode I’m sorry that you have to feel that way my brother, but you’re absolutely right. It’s hurts me man, I swear to everything I love I wish I knew how to make it different! I’ll never stop trying. I think the UNITED STATES is hurting so bad as a whole right now because of it and it’s hurting the world because of it. We all deserve the chance to be happy.

I worry for The kids growing up today and starting school for the first time, I hope the world will be different when they grow up, where we don’t have to worry if they’re safe when they go out of the house. If everyone would just come together and actually talk, and most importantly listen to each other, I think they would end up loving each other. I’m not the man to make that happen I’m sure, but I’d give anything if I was. I honestly would give my life if I knew it would fix it, and I wouldn’t think twice.

I do hope the young man in this video does something special with his life and I’ll be rooting for him. Who knows, this may be what saves the world.

4. jccuk
    8:55 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Wow, I have bird crap running down my car, going out right now and getting all of it off now. And MoscowMitch what the heck does this Trump or who is Republican or Democrat have to do with a cop thinking bird crap is cocaine. Stop interjecting politics in everything, stick with the facts!

5. nocode96
    9:17 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Cops do serve a purpose, but it’s ridiculous all the boot kickers out there. Many cops in this country have taken away the “to protect” part of their motto’s. Seriously, look it up. Not all cops are bad, but man, a lot of them are awful. You don’t even have to be smart to be a cop, they take the dumb football jocks and bullies from high school with an authority complex. You guys see the events unfold recently if a young, black gentleman using a pick stick to get trash out of his dorm’s lawn and the cop roll up ready to kill him saying he feared for his life? I’m white, and a dude, and I’m flipping terrified of cops and I’ve never even had a speeding ticket. I’m not saying a cop wouldn’t try and pin birdshlt on a car’s hood as cocaine off on a white dude, but we all know they wouldn’t unless it was done methed out, trailer trash with priors. This kid is a QB at a big school. Think about that. Dave Chappelle got it right in that bit. These cops should be lambasted for their incompetence at the least. You don’t have to be George Jung to know bird crap isn’t cocaine. [email protected] cops like that and anyone who supports their BS.

6. neat1ky
    9:20 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Wow! Racism, profiling, all cops out to get u even thou he was speeding. Anti trump rants anti Mitch rants, I thought I actually had gotten on a liberal socialist dem site. Please let’s keep this on sports and especially our beloved wildcats and Matt Jones needs to keep it there as well. Go Cats!!!!!!

• oruacat2
      9:39 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

It’s quite an acrobatic leap from “speeding” to “cocaine spread all over the hood of the car”, genius.

As for “keep this on sports” – the kid is a star college quarterback.

Damn, you’re dumb.

7. oruacat2
    9:37 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Anyone charged with a crime based on one of those roadside tests should be flocking to a courthouse for a retrial and using this case as evidence.

• JASUN74
      10:05 pm August 10, 2019 Permalink

Yes sir. I’d be there Monday morning. That’s just crazy anyway. I bet the kid wasn’t speeding anyway. I’d say they just saw him late at night and just pulled him over. Now I don’t know that for sure. But it happens every single day in this country.

8. Matt10
    7:24 am August 11, 2019 Permalink

I think they need a new roadside cocaine test, if bird sh!t can cause a false positive. I personally think that had to be a lie. Sounds more like DWB, driving while black.

9. UKWildcatFan4Life
    7:52 am August 11, 2019 Permalink

When everything is racist. Nothing is racist. The drivel that is poured down people’s throats today is sickening. It requires no thought. It is lazy and it is ignorant.

Does racism exist? Yes, it always has and certain people (and it’s not the republicans) are exacerbating the problem daily.

10. wes720
    9:22 am August 11, 2019 Permalink

Shouldn’t have been speeding

11. neat1ky
    11:50 am August 11, 2019 Permalink

This is for oruacat2, no it wasn’t about sports, it was about a kid who happen to be a QB and black and speeding. So it seems u r the dumb one. If it was about sports where his stats, is he a starter and what his team win loss record. This was only about an unfortunate incident by police. But I guess u could reach if they had asked him if he was a football player and a QB. Let ask one last question. If someone in your profession is arrested for something is it then about your profession??

12. slangterm
    2:06 pm August 11, 2019 Permalink

I personally stash my packs on the hood of the car. They NEVER look there. Actually this is the first time they ever found it on the hood.