Gearing up for Vandy (Tuesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss tonight’s game vs. Vanderbilt, Kentucky’s return to the top 25, John Calipari’s comments from yesterday, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

65 Comments for Gearing up for Vandy (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UKJAYBRAT…

…or anyone else who is savvy to this, what’s the deal with the map coordinates that are linked in people’s screen names? Here’s what I mean: on my iPad, I can copy a coordinate and search and it makes it look like someone is here in Alabama, but if I search on the PC, it looks like most users are in Kentucky (or they were when they set up their account or whatever…BTW, which one of those is correct?).

On the iPad it looks like everyone on here (whose coordinates show up) is my neighbor (even if an hour or 2 away), including UK Big Board Update. LOL!

• Oh, and guys, I did hear the creepy Ryan Lemond laugh when I got a KSR notification Saturday that the pregame show was starting. I think maybe KSR controls what we hear and they use Ryan’s laugh when it’s good news or routine stuff. When Zion committed to Duke it was the default iPhone tone.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

No clue.

• Oh well, if it turned out that Big Board really did live about 1 1/2 hours away from me, I was going to offer to buy him dinner on my next business trip through what it looked like was his town. However, he apparently lives in Kentucky and not Bama.

2. Realme
    10:12 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

I bet we’re better than the 12th best Show Thread.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

I have two lower arena tickets to the game tonight, and my neighbor who was going to go with me might have to back out due to work (poor guy). I told him to develop a sudden onslaught of the “Blue Flu”. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am in scramble mode to find a sidekick for the game right now – if not, I might drag my 13-Year-Old daughter out there with me and make her do her homework on the car ride to/from the game. ๐Ÿ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

I’m surprised your 13 year old isn’t begging to go with you.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Take your daughter…homework is optional.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

She wants to go, but she is behind on her sleep as it is from her volleyball tournaments over the weekend, and she has a lot of homework this time of year. It will probably be after midnight before we get back home. Going to be an ugly Wednesday at work for me too.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

On another note, I was going through some old videos on my phone, and I found this one I made of her back in 2012 when she was about 7. She thought she was getting a unibrow, and she was using a piece of scotch tape to “wax”. I told her that unibrows were in fashion since Anthony Davis has one, but she said they are weird, and said “if you’ll excuse me now, I have to go wax”. Think I might have to tweet it to AD someday. ๐Ÿ™‚

• And the KSR postgame comes on really late, even in CST. Blech.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

One benefit of taking her is that it is easier to make our way down close to the court late in the game. No one wants to be the bad guy and tell a little girl that she has to get up and leave. ๐Ÿ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Your daughter can sleep in the car on the way home. You however, will just have to be tired tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Oh, the Byrds with the Rickenbacker 12 string….music is trending up.

• The Byrds were great!

Except, none of the 60’s animal groups could spell. Byrds, Beatles, Monkees.

• 4everUKblue
      10:29 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Love their version of My Back Pages…my favorite Byrds song written by Dylan of course as were many of their songs.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:37 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Ahhh the Rick 12-string! Signature sound. I will probably have a Rickenbacker bass first but the 12 is on my wish list.

• 4everUKblue
      10:40 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

The Beatles were the first to rock the Rickenbacker that I can remember, with The Byrds soon to follow, Tom Petty was also a big Rickenbacker fan.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

You’re right 4ever…George Harrison was the master , and first used the 360/12 on “I Call Your Name”.
      Pete Townshend of The Who played it as well.

• 4everUKblue
      11:24 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

RG, I love George Harrison, actually liked him better than the other three, always thought he was the coolest.

• 4everUKblue
      11:29 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

RG this might interest you, but may also may change the way you view music of the 60’s. Check it out……. http://www.sagaciousnewsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/inside-the-lc.pdf

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

That was very interesting…good job.
      The 60’s were the ultimate dilemma, and I was just a flower child in an odd situation. Loved the music, and when the Beatles hit the radios in ’63….well, you had to be there.

• Glancing at the first couple pages, that is some interesting reading, but the very first statement “…to impose, uhmm, ‘democracy’ on a sovereign nation” is not totally honest. Many involved in that war will tell you that the South Vietnamese WANTED us there. I know nothing is 100%, but to act like no Vietnamese wanted us there to beat back communism is just not honest.

• RG, you might have a different perspective, and if so, I would certainly defer to you, but I was mostly referencing Gen. Schwarzkopf’s book, which was tremendous if you haven’t read it.

• 4everUKblue
      12:48 pm January 30, 2018 Permalink

CG, I don’t get caught up in all the politics….just the music. Don’t let that one statement keep you from reading it.

5. Realme
    10:31 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

I can’t remember seeing a foul called when the guys pile on each other for a tie up. Seems like the weirdest foul / non-foul complaint Bilas had.

• 4everUKblue
      10:33 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Bilas sure was on the Kunate bandwagon, he could do no wrong according to him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Hearing him go on and on like that kind of reminded me of Billy Packer losing his ish over Jamaal Magloire and Wojo getting tangled up.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

You’re right…it’s a free ball; Bilas calls our fouls good calls, and the opponent’s fouls are always “very little contact”.
      I’ll take Farnham any time.

• Realme
      10:37 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

I’ll take Farnham and the SEC broadcast over Vitale and Bilas on ESPN any day.

• Did you see what Aaron Torres said?

“Which is what made the second half comeback so fascinating to watch unfold: Late in the game, Kentucky was the mentally tougher and more physical team. They hustled to grab loose balls, got second and third chances on the offensive boards, and when Hamidou Diallo and Sagaba Konate got tangled up on the floor late, it was Konate, not Diallo who got up off the floor flustered and angry.”

Someone said (I thought it was Torres but couldn’t find the quote…may have been another writer or a comment) that Diallo had Konate talking to the floor.

Also, Jon Scott of BB History shredded Bilas on Twitter about his lack of knowledge of what’s a foul.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

There was one call where I could say he had a legitimate gripe – Kunate did go straight up and the UK player initiated the contact. But as UK fans, we are so used to getting crappy calls go against us that it just rolls off.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

We definitely beat W Va at their own game.

• 4everUKblue
      10:44 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

oops I misspelled Konate’s last name.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Konate rolled over and cut Hami’s legs out from under him, so of course Hami fell on him. There’s no way that was a foul on Hami.

• Here are 2 Scott tweets:

“Jay Bilas canโ€™t see a foul when a player falls backward into a shooter during a field goal attempt? Easy call. Defender had โ€œinside positionโ€ per Bilas but never legal guarding position. Geesh.”

“BTW, here’s some sceen captures showing Konate falling backwards into Diallo during the shot attempt. Bilas said “I didn’t see where the foul was” but it’s clear as day.”

“Another view. Bilas also said Konate “had inside position and got the foul called him, that’s a little strange” but it wasn’t strange at all. Konate, with his back to the shooter & falling backwards, NEVER established legal guarding position. Bilas should look up that term.”

That last one…ouch. Bilas thinks he’s always the smartest & most knowledgable guy in the room.

• Realme
      10:50 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Jon Scott and Scott Charleton are essential BBN Twitter follows.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha ha, I get better analysis than Bilas can produce from…Tom Crean at halftime.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Someone needs to take the video of Jurich whining about being “persecuted” and put the sad violin music to it in the background.

7. Realme
    10:49 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Wall and Cousins should be replaced by other Ky players of course. Hope they both heal fully and quickly.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Booker and Willie for the win!

• runningunnin.454
      11:20 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Injuries suck.
      I am enjoying watching Darius…his confidence is through the roof. And, when he picked James Harden’s pocket on the drive was great.
      BTW, how in the world does Harden stand that beard in Houston in the summer? Ugh.

• RealCatsFan
      11:31 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

James Hardin relies on the mystic creatures that live in his beard to help him excel on the basketball court. They survive on food crumbs that fall into the life sustaining beard.

8. DrSayre
    11:11 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

@kysportsradio might not watch the SOTU if there was no UK game tonight, but Im sure @MattJonesRadio would watch it and tweet something about it.

• Realme
      11:14 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Don’t you love it when @kysportsradio re-tweets @MattJonesRadio?

9. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Priorities…do they know UK plays tonight? The SOTU should be postponed.
    And, the UL news will break Super Bowl weekend.

10. Realme
    11:42 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Worst sequence of calls ever.

11. CATandMONKEY
    11:43 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Are people stupid?

• Realme
      11:45 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

12. CATandMONKEY
    11:45 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Worst. Contest. Ever.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Just painful.

13. Craig
    11:45 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

That was some seriously bad radio.

Salamander guy wins imo.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:47 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Sadly, it isn’t even close.

14. Realme
    11:50 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, give it to the woman who’s going to bring her husband to maybe die at the game.

15. DrSayre
    11:52 am January 30, 2018 Permalink

I thought the “that’s not creamer” line was really underrated