Gearing up for Mississippi State (Tuesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss Calipari’s shot at Duke’s recruiting pitch and preview tonight’s game vs. Mississippi State. Tune in for that and plenty of randomness.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

78 Comments for Gearing up for Mississippi State (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    9:59 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

First and if you comment something negative today you have no life and are a miserable human being!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

North Carolina and W Virginia go down…..parity. The Virginia Tech win suddenly looks a lot better, huh?

10:03 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Yep, and WVU! Which could be a bad thing for us – they will be angry. Of course, we should be angrier! If our guys can just come in there loose with a chip on their shoulders and play with maximum energy, they might be able to sneak out of there with a win.

10:05 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Can’t believe Va Tech doesn’t get any love in the rankings. That win and the Louisville win should be considered to be pretty good wins – although both were at home. We need a solid road win. WVU anyone? 😉

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m not ready to call a win at WVU just yet, but they look beatable. Great pressure defense, as always, but the same offensive struggles that all Bob Huggins teams always seem to have. Just take care of the ball, and this is a winnable game. I know, I know…

• Realme
      10:44 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Lets win tonight first.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:02 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Ha – they should have led off with this guy for the “Mizzipi State” game:

Good times back in 2012!

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I seem to remember State went to the final four one year…I think if they had beaten Syracuse, we would have played in the championship game; I could be wrong, though.

• CatsandPats
      1:36 pm January 23, 2018 Permalink

1996. They beat us in SEC Championship game and we beat Syracuse in title game. One of the best college teams ever assembled.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:12 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Have to love Helmet Guy.
      Cats by 17.

10:30 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

C&M, the way we have been playing, I would do cartwheels on a bad knee if the Cats beat ANY SEC opponent by 17!

• CATandMONKEY
      10:35 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I am ready for it! Trying to stay positive.
      I really hate losing to the Gators so I need a big win to keep me from leaning towards the negative end of the fan spectrum.

10:52 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Yep, I am a Gator Hater myself. I have a neighbor on my street who is from down there and is a big UF fan. Great guy, but lately I want to strangle him. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      10:58 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Hope to see cartwheels from you the rest of the season, RCF!

4. secrick
    10:06 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Go Cats beat Miss. State, Cats by 21 tonight. 6 threes . How’s that Puppet?

5. runningunnin.454
    10:10 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

So sad about Marshall Co. …..basketball and football are just games.

• Realme
      10:14 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

What a horrible experience for those at the school and for parents who have students there. God bless.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know the situation, but that really sucks for everyone involved.

10:25 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

It’s just a sad symptom of the deep rooted problems that plague our nation. So much hate and anger out there. Yes, we had a lot of big problems back in the 70’s and 80’s, but you didn’t have a school shooting about once a month like we do now.

• Awful, just awful. I can’t imagine what the students and parents are going through.

• And prayers up for them all of them and the employees.

• Ugh. Prayers up for all the students, families, and employees.

6. Realme
    10:18 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

As far as the “this state will take care of you for life” sales pitch, the elite won’t need taken care of, and the Boldens of the Duke world probably won’t find that promise fulfilled.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

LOL, why would they want to play in a bread box that seats less than 10,000 people? Memorial is bigger than that. At least their opponents are indoors, and don’t have to play on the asphalt courts with the chain nets.

10:27 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Might sound like sacrilege, but sometimes I think Memorial would be a better environment. I wish Cal would give serious thought to having a game there with general admission seating. It would be off the chain!

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I was a student back in the days when Midnight Madness was still held in Memorial, but I never saw a game there. I would be in favor of a game there every season.

• Eddie Sutton wanted to have a game there. He said it would be like the (now old) gym at Arkansas where the crowd was right on top of the court. He loved the idea, but I don’t think it will ever happen. He wanted to hold a lottery or something for the tickets, and charge higher than normal admission to make up the shortfall of the game not being in Rupp.

11:37 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Eddie had the right idea. It would be huge, and it would get nationwide coverage.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

The bulldog is cute, but today I am a Cat person, and I don’t have to turn in my Man Card for it.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Many years ago when my best friend and I were roommates, her basset hound would chase my cat behind the couch. My cat would run out the other side, then hop up onto the back of the couch and just sit and watch the dog bark and lose his mind over where the cat used to be. The dumb dog never looked up.

10:37 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I have to confess that I actually AM a cat person. Have had Siamese cats for many years. Had a 22 pound male that used to rule the roost. He “attached himself” to my 65 lb yellow lab one time when the dog was playing too rough with one of the other cats. The sight of this cat chasing the dog across the back yard had my elderly neighbor shaking her head in amazement and amusement.

• Realme
      10:43 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I love cats and dogs, but cats practically take care of themselves compared to dogs, so they end up being what we have as pets. Blessed right now to have 2 that are hilarious and truly affectionate with us.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

We have three cats. I’m glad I’m married so I don’t look like a crazy cat lady. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      10:51 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I will take a cat in a tussle vs any dog up to 50% bigger, maybe even more.

Nature’s perfect predator. Now if someone could remind my [email protected]$$ cats of that.
      My wife and girls treat our cats better than any Egyptian pharoah’s feline.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Cats do have a lot of attitude. I once saw the orange tabby at the farm where I used to ride horses rule a rottweiler. He raked his claws across the rottweiler’s nose and the dog yelped and ran away.

11:36 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I have always maintained that if reincarnation is real and we come back as an animal, then a race horse would be the ultimate. But a house cat would be a close second.

9. secrick
    10:26 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Hero is going to make everyone forget about Williiamson.

• secrick
      10:28 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Ha guys what time is the W.V. game Sat.?

10:28 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m kind of excited about Tyler Herro. I think he might be sneaky good. Hoping that he will be the kind of outside threat that you see with Trae young.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Just as long as he doesn’t shoot 10 feet behind the three point line. Yeah, Young gets a lot of points; but, his team loses.

• J-Dub421
      10:33 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget, we get Baker back for next season too.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

We play WVU Saturday at 7:00pm.

10:49 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Plenty of time for those hillbillies to hit their stills and get good and sauced. Should be interesting.

10. Realme
    10:26 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

“You can’t hate one and done, and then be upset about not getting Zion”. Apparently you can, because I don’t think there are 2 opposing negative portions of BBN. I think they are the same gripers, being ultimate hypocrites.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

ESPN has Knox rated as No. 11 draft pick…I’m so tired of these kids being rushed; He may be a great NBA player some day….but he’s just not ready for that.

12. Realme
    10:29 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

All we need is for Duke to have another early exit as a 1 or 2 seed this Spring and things will start to even out.

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

They’ve had several. I don’t know why no one (outside of present company) ever calls them out on it. The national media act like Mercer and Lehigh never happened, but we get called underachievers for losing one game to a really good Wisconsin team with 2 lottery picks.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget Oregon and South Carolina. And, K sure showed his butt after the Oregon game.

10:39 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Not to mention that no one calls them out on the Lance Thomas affair or the Corey Magette scandal.

10:39 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

rg, K shows his butt more than a male baboon, but the press just looks the other way.

• secrick
      10:42 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Hope it happens this year, i believe Grayson Allen is the player from Duke i hate the most.

• J-Dub421
      10:46 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Teflon K can get away with anything.

13. DrSayre
    10:41 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Every time somebody calls in with the name Ryan, I hope it’s Mitch McConnell doing a Fake Ryan Lemond voice.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Ha!

14. secrick
    10:43 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

i meant to say of any player that played at Duke.

15. runningunnin.454
    10:45 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Where is the guy that wants to fire Cal, and hire Billy D?
    Donovan couldn’t take it at UK; too many la-z-boy HOF coaches….Sutton, Tubby, and BCG couldn’t take it. Takes a special person to handle the spotlight and insanity that is UK.
    And, he’s not impressed by Cal’s 0.82 winning percent compared to Donovan’s 0.71 at Fla.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I called him out on that yesterday. I probably wouldn’t have, but he keep posting the same thing repeatedly. Donovan couldn’t hang onto Durant, and can’t win consistently with Westbrook, George, and Anthony. Pass.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:55 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Agree with you both.
      I will take Cal,thanks.

16. Matt, stick ta (fake) sports!!! 🙂

17. Hey guys, question: on the KSR app notifications, all I hear is the default iPhone tone. They keep talking about Ryan’s laugh, but is that Android only or something? I don’t see any option in my phone’s settings to change the tone to anything other than Apple’s tones or some tones I created and loaded.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Once I set a colleague’s phone to say “do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth” every time it rang…..she had no sense of humor…at all.

• Haha!

BTW, I don’t keep notifications on for ANYTHING except regular old fashioned texts, but I did, unfortunately, turn them on for the Zion announcement. I first did it last year for Knox and that worked out better.

• J-Dub421
      11:18 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

It may be individual depending on the phone. I had the Ryan laugh on my last phone (a Sony Experia Z3), but my new phone just does a little ding.

• Realme
      11:19 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t keep the app, but are there no settings you can adjust?

• Yep, but not for Ryan’s laugh. I’ve looked in the KSR app notification settings and the “Sound and Haptics” settings, but nada for the creepy giggle.

• Realme
      11:35 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

It still happens on my husband’s phone, but we’re androids. 🙂

• I think it must be just for Android. Android is open source (“sort of” as one tech writer put it) but Apple has everything so locked down they probably don’t allow it.

However, I have put a couple MP3 songs & sound effects on my phone as tones (figured out how to do it searching with Google), so I could look for a Ryan laugh on the YooToob (like when he laughed at Greg Marshall’s wife) and do it myself, but it takes time that I don’t think I want to spend.

18. Realme
    11:11 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

This seems more like a summer conversation. Can they think of nothing to say about tonight’s game?

19. Realme
    11:17 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

What’s wrong with John Short? Did I miss something?

11:28 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t hear it whatever it was. Heard Matt mention yesterday that KY Joe has some kind of health issue. This gettin old crap is for the birds…

• Realme
      11:30 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

I was wondering if the caller was mixing up his Ky Joes and his John Shorts.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

6’7 and 350 lbs? Sounds like Matt Elam kind of numbers. Will never understand why they didn’t switch him to offensive line. Seems like he would have been a lot better there – immovable object.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Matt is wrong – Count Krzycheskjhgdjgki is ever bit of 400 years old – but that is fairly youthful for a vampire. Jeff Capel is also a vampire – K converted him. They have their own version of Salem’s Lot up there.

22. KYjellyRoll
    11:47 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Have to shoot 20 threes to make 4-6

23. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am January 23, 2018 Permalink

Oh crap, now I have to find a way of getting the image of “two dudes, hanging out, shaving each other” that Matt just tossed out for Harry’s Razors! 😀