Gearing up for Hattiesburg (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will preview their trip to Hattiesburg, talk about the start of football season, and tackle another round of the restaurant bracket. Here’s where we stand right now:

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

55 Comments for Gearing up for Hattiesburg (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    9:57 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

FOOTBALL IS ALMOST HERE. WAHOOOO !!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

You can watch IU get slaughtered by Ohio State as soon as tomorrow night. I’ll probably watch Tulsa vs Oklahoma State, might be interesting.

10:10 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I’M READY! LET’S GOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• J-Dub421
      10:18 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

C! A! T! S! CATS! CATS! CATS!

2. J-Dub421
    10:29 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Why would J-Rock be banned? He’s hilarious.

3. J-Dub421
    10:37 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Leave people alone while they’re eating!

10:42 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Amen! Like we’re supposed to be entitled to bother them at any moment of their life. And if they try to put in place any sort of boundaries, they’re trashed online for it.

4. Realme
    10:44 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I got new glasses that have Ky blue in them a couple weeks ago. Hoping they will be my lucky glasses. Will know more after Saturday.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Are you saying to see the world through blue tinted glasses….me too!

11:48 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I’d say all my lenses are blue tinted in spirit, but this is the first time I’ve found it in an actual frame. Front parts are blue, and ear pieces are yellow, which I believe was also once part of our colors.

5. nuke99m
    10:45 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Will there be a pregame show in Hattiesburg? Also is there any word on a catwalk?

11:07 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I think they said there will be a pregame show, but they haven’t decided where yet.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Love the picture of the old convertible for the show thread. I love old ragtops like that! But why are they driving on the wrong side of the road? Are they on the way home from the Dew Drop Inn?

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

What is that, a ’63 Chevy? Doesn’t look like Mississippi, either.
      I had a ’63 Corvette convertible for years; lotta fun, but it started $500ing me to death.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Not a chevy. My best guess is that it is an early-sixties Mercury Monterey. You really wouldn’t want to know what that Vette would be worth today. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:24 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Yep, I should have parked it in the front yard, and just watched it rust…oops, it wouldn’t rust, ha ha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:34 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

rg, you would be surprised. Have seen many Vette’s rotted to the ground. Body is fiberglass, but it has a steel frame that rots and also steel in the windshield frame.

A 63 convertible would be worth a pretty penny, depending on condition and options, but the hardtops are actually the ones that bring the big money for that year. That is because 63 was the one and only year for the famous “split window” design – which was abandoned for lack of rear visibility. Saw a very dilapidated version for sale in the swap meet of the Street Rod Nationals – asking price – $75000. :O

7. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Any more info on how to watch the game Saturday? I am probably going to reinstate my DTV sports package, but I have heard that it might not be carried on any of those stations. Thought I heard someone saying on KSR the other day that you can get it on Hulu. Can someone verify / elaborate?

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Looks like it’s on CBS Sports. I would think most major providers would carry it.

11:05 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I have Directv and do have the channel without any extra package. 221 I think.

11:05 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

But yes, a caller recommended doing a Hulu free trial.

• ukjaybrat
      11:10 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

i dropped sling and picked up Youtube TV which is brand new and even more brand newier in louisville. and it has CBS Sports Network.

Youtube TV is getting a lot of flack particularly because it is only offered in certain cities. and it doesn’t have the selection of channels that others have (it’s missing turner broadcasting and whatever HGTV and Food Network are on)

BUT it has cbs, nbc, fox, sec network, cbs sports network, abc/espn/disney
      and just about anythign else that has sports on it. so for a cable-cutters worst nightmare beign FOMO on sports, it is a dream come true. Plus it’s only $35/month.

I am in heaven right now. I highly recommend it to anybody in Louisville or a city that offers it.

11:14 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I’m not making the Switch until next Spring, but will choose one of the live tv streaming services, add netflix, and antenna for networks (unless I go with Youtube, apparently). Anyone know of a machine I could buy separately that could dvr the Sling/Hulu and the antenna channels?

• ukjaybrat
      11:17 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

sling offers cloud dvr for $5/month
      youtube tv offers cloud dvr for free
      not sure about hulu

11:21 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I’ve only really looked at Sling so far, but it didn’t have all the networks, so I’m hoping to find a machine that can record antenna too. But I don’t need to figure it out any time soon. Speaking of all this, DTV is really insane to be still charging massive amounts of money for something we can all get much cheaper. I use Netflix more than I do DTV now, and their OnDemand & App, etc. are a joke compared to what Amazon Prime & Netflix provide.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I am going to have to look into the YouTube TV, especially the DVR option, as I make a lot of use of the DVR. Is it a real-time DVR that you can use to pause live TV and skip commercials? I really have to ditch my satellite TV – $130/month is adding up.

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

jay, have you had any performance issues with YouTube TV? I guess it all boils down to your connection speed. I would have to upgrade my service most likely to support the higher bandwidth for a streaming service.

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I’m paying $180 per month for Spectrum cable, and that’s just TV and internet. We don’t even have any premium channels!

• ukjaybrat
      12:16 pm August 30, 2017 Permalink

Sorry i got busy i’ll try to remember to bring this back up tomorrow for those that didn’t see this.

I haven’t had any issues with streaming Youtube TV yet. It’s been very fluid. But I also have a step up in internet (so not the basic package)

You can also watch TV in your browser at any computer and their are apps for phones and tablets

I have NOT yet played with live streaming/dvr-ing.
      I KNOW you can DVR just about everything, including movies and it will stay in your Library for 9 months
      I THINK you can fast forward and rewind live TV but i havent tried it.
      A great part is you select favorite shows and it will start populating your library with all of the shows that air on tv recently so you will have a lot of shows to watch right off the bat. it’s really neat.

My biggest problem is i have two rokus and there is no Youtube TV app for the roku (hopefully this is a “yet”)

So you will need a chromecast to push video to a TV (I have several so this is not an issue for me but may be for others. You CAN login to most apps using your youtube tv credentials. so on both rokus i have signed into the espn, fox, and disney apps so i can still use those. but it would be nice to just have a youtube tv app so i dont have to switch between apps (and also login to all of those apps).

Right now I pay $35 for internet (i got a deal o nthat, should cost more)
      and $35 for youtube Red.
      I dont have a netflix account or anything
      So that’s $70 for all of my tv/internet needs

• RealCatsFan
      12:17 pm August 30, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, those cable and satellite companies have a way of reeling you in with an attractive promotion. After the promotion period is up, they gouge you mercilessly. I have found that you just have to keep rotating around to them and then ditch them when the contract is up. But these streaming services are becoming intriguing.

• ukjaybrat
      12:17 pm August 30, 2017 Permalink

sorry. youtube tv. not youtube red

(i also have a youtube red subscription which is $10/month for unlimited music and youtube videos with no ads)

8. J-Dub421
    10:56 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I really don’t care what other coaches think of John Higgins. Maybe they’ve all had better experiences. All I know is Higgins has been terrible and consistently screwed over UK several times now. I’m talking inexcusable missed calls that smack of bias, and always against us.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:57 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Higgins is awful; ticky-tack touch fouls will ruin the game. And other teams, I think WVA, have had problems with him. Don’t want to see him again, especially in the tournament.

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Higgins stands there and watches our players about get their heads taken off, and won’t make the call. He also missed the blatant shot clock violation against Wisconsin in 2015 even though he was looking right at it. Then he calls piddly little touch fouls on us. It’s total BS.

• ukjaybrat
      11:21 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

windoer if the wvu hate is because huggybear is friends with coach cal

• ukjaybrat
      11:21 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

windoer? or maybe wonder is the word i was looking for

10. J-Dub421
    11:19 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

U of L really is the gift that keeps on giving.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Can’t believe Drew didn’t take the opportunity to Photoshop Bobby Petrino into the picture of the UofL Volleyball billboard next to the strip club.

Like this one:

12. Realme
    11:25 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

My retirement is through the state. I don’t even want to know the latest. I just assume there won’t be any money left when it’s time for me to retire.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:27 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I thought the UL billboard was a photo shop…guess not, totally unbelievable.
    Even funnier they took it down after it was on KSR.

11:30 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

So many things they do seem like they must be an Onion article, but they never are.

14. J-Dub421
    11:33 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I got a phone call and missed the end of that last segment. What was Matt saying about Briscoe?

11:42 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I missed it too.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Something about his being a “least likable player” off the court; and, his pro career has gone nowhere.
      I think maybe someday, in 10 years or so, people will stop bashing him.

11:46 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Oh, I caught the end of a conversation with a caller, and it sounded like Matt had mentioned something specific. I hope he signs and plays somewhere, even if t’s not NBA.

• J-Dub421
      11:46 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Matt keeps alluding to some kind of off court issues with Briscoe, but won’t say what. At the same time, I’ve never heard of Briscoe getting into trouble off court, and to the best of my knowledge he went to class, etc.

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Gee, I can’t imagine why Briscoe might be a little prickly when he got bashed constantly by our fans…

15. Realme
    11:41 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Disgusts me too, Coach. 🙂

16. J-Dub421
    11:49 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I really like Coach Stoops. He seems like a genuinely good person.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Be interesting to see how he does with the new “leave the refs alone” rules, even when they totally ignore the play clock expiring or otherwise blow a call.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

The odds of Stoops getting flagged for being on the field angrily yelling at a ref are high.

11:57 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Yeah he’s getting that penalty. Unless they put a harness on him with a leash, and someone has ahold of it at all times.

17. secrick
    11:50 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Last time on KSR before the game, keep up the good post guys. GO CATS BEAT S.M.

18. J-Dub421
    11:54 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

Thon Maker may have been drafted, but will he get that second contract? I looked it up and he averaged 4 points and two rebounds per game last year. Not exactly stellar production from a lottery pick.

19. Realme
    11:56 am August 30, 2017 Permalink

I enjoy J-Rock Vs. Darryl, but it’s not nearly as good as Darryl vs. Chester was.