Gather ’round for KSR (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, Shannon, and Drew will recap the latest in Kentucky’s NBA decisions, the playoffs, and how predictable it is that Rick Pitino did an interview two weeks after swearing he wouldn’t do one ever again.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

46 Comments for Gather ’round for KSR (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:58 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Rondo + AD = awesome.

• Realme
      10:18 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. Where is everyone?

2. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

I’ll lead off with another story from the dimly lit RCF past. Long time ago (way before I met the lovely Mrs. RCF), I was in one of those relationships where there was a lot of fighting – you know, the oil and water type of thing (I’ll take the high road and not disparage the young lady I was with back then.) I wear contacts, and am blind as a bat without them. I was spending the night at her place, and we got into one of our knock down drag out affairs. I had my fill, so I decided that I would rather sleep at my place versus worry about getting a dagger in the middle of the night. πŸ˜‰ So I stormed out, slammed the door, jumped in the car and burned rubber out of there. Halfway down the street, I realized that I had left my contacts there, and had no glasses to wear for the ride home. I sure couldn’t go back there with my tail between my legs after that dramatic exit, so I drove home 12 miles at 10 MPH below the speed limit like Mr. Magoo. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

BTW, this story was dusted off because Matt and Ryan and Drew were discussing contact lenses and bad vision.

• Realme
      10:30 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

You can go back and get your stuff, as long as you stomp around and storm out again. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

You missed an opportunity to storm around while collecting your stuff. Amateur move.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Could have been worse, like that commercial on TV. The girl is throwing his clothes, guitar, and computer out the window. ha ha

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, that was her schtick. She used to “reposess” everything she ever gave me as a birthday or Christmas gift. VCR player, toaster, stuff like that. It was hilarious. She had a temper – or maybe I just brought it out in her. πŸ˜‰

• J-Dub421
      12:00 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

Lol, sounds like you were right to get out of that relationship.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

If Wenyen and Quade transfer, you are going to hear a lot of grumbling from the fan base, because we will be extremely young and inexperienced again next year, and there will be fuel for those who are mad that Cal can’t seem to keep upperclassmen hanging around. I will probably be one of them.

• Realme
      10:29 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

I’ll be very disappointed if we lose Wenyen, and I hope Quade doesn’t get driven away by the odd new recruiting approach. But I am hoping Cal has some genius master plan we will all love in the future.

• secrick
      10:29 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

If Green transfers i think it would be a shame. Not Cals fault i don’t guess but not a good look in my opinion.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

I think Quade will stick it out; he’ got a valuable year’s experience on the other guys. I really hate to lose Wenyen…his smile is contagious, and he hits the boards better than he’s given credit for.

4. Realme
    10:36 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m behind on my news. What happened at the McDonald’s game, and are they expecting Wenyen to go?

• secrick
      10:39 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Yeah me to , someone tell us what happened.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Evidently Puke signees Zion and R.J. alienated the other players in the game, and it possibly pushed Montgomery to sign with UK.
      They think Wenyen to leave to play overseas to support his family.

5. secrick
    10:53 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Thanks 454 , that’s good and here’s hoping Wenyen does what’s best for his family.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

In regards to Mike Braun running for office in Indiana, it has come to the point where I will go out of my way to vote against the candidate who puts out the most ads polluting the airways.

• Realme
      11:39 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Same. It’s like any annoying commercial. Why do they think getting on our nerves is the way to earn our business / vote?

• RealCatsFan
      11:51 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

I would LOVE to have the advertising budget that Genesis Diamonds has to inundate the airwaves. Along with the boner companies. They must be flush with cash.

7. J-Dub421
    11:42 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

This redneck idiot wants Cal to recruit worse so that other players won’t transfer or go to the NBA.

• Realme
      11:43 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Sigh.

8. J-Dub421
    11:47 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Sacha did NOT sit behind Richards this season, especially in the last half of the season.

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

True, but he was a fairly heralded Mc’D’s AA coming in who sat most of last year and a good part of this year on the bench. Can’t blame him for wanting a chance for more PT. Wish it was here, but not meant to be.

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

He was getting more playing time here. Nick was only playing about 5 minutes per game at the end of the season. Last season SKJ was a liability any time he came into a game. Would you have played him more instead of Bam?

• RealCatsFan
      12:03 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

Definitely wouldn’t have played him over Bam – but also wouldn’t have waited to put him in AFTER Brad and the walk-ons when we were blowing out teams in Rupp. But I get your point, J-Dub.

• J-Dub421
      12:07 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

I could be wrong on this, I am just guessing, but I don’t recall hearing Cal or the other coaches talk about SKJ being one of the guys who was always in the gym shooting or working out, etc.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:49 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

What movie are they talking about that will make them cry? If it’s “The Miracle Season” about the volleyball team in Iowa, I took my daughter’s entire volleyball team to see it on Friday night. Kind of like a volleyball version of “Hoosiers” – same director, and same cinematic look and feel. Good movie, but kind of predictable. Of course, it was based on a true story, so they are not at liberty for plot twists. I enjoyed it. It was kind of fun to hear all of the volleyball players critiquing the way the actors were playing volleyball in the movie. πŸ™‚

• It’s a good movie. I enjoyed the footage of the real folks involved that they showed during the credits.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Other than a couple of the leads, most of the other girls in that movie were actual volleyball players, not actors.

They were talking about I Can Only Imagine, which looks like schmaltzy overwrought garbage to me. Hard pass.

• Oh, I was talking about The Miracle Season. I haven’t seen I Can Only Imagine, but my wife and daughter have. They really liked it.

• RealCatsFan
      12:05 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

J-Dub, yeah, the girls on my team were mainly talking about the actress who played Kelly, the girl who had to become the setter. No high level setter sets with her elbows close together like in the movie. That’s how back yard players do it. πŸ™‚ Surprised someone didn’t correct that. Other than that, most of the volleyball action was pretty believable.

• J-Dub421
      12:09 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

I read that they did some volleyball training, but there’s only so much you’re going to learn in a short amount of time for a movie.

• RealCatsFan
      12:32 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

cg, here’s and excellent YouTube special about the actual team and their season:

10. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Amanda is probably tired of having Ryan peeing all over the toilet seat or leaving it up, so she sends him out in the yard to have a pissing contest with the dog. πŸ˜€

11. Back from a checkup at the doc.

Unrelated, I just discovered this gem (no separate app needed, just this browser, and it’s on iOS and Android) and it works great and blocks ALL ads:

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Schweet! Have you tried it out with the KSR site on your phone yet? Not sure about giving them my email address to email it to me – I get enough spamm already!

• Realme
      12:19 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

Finally! RCF you should be able to find it in the app store / google play store, I’d think.

• Yeah, just look for it in the Play store or App store. I didn’t have to give them an email. It worked perfectly on my iPhone.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am April 18, 2018 Permalink

Matt talking about Cal being loyal to a fault – time to cue up the “Cal lost to Wisconsin because of his blind loyalty to the Harrison twins” talk.

• J-Dub421
      12:04 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

The Harrison twins are just two more players who get wrongly maligned by our fans for no good reason. See also, Alex Poythress, WCS, Skal Labissiere, Isaiah Briscoe, Hami, etc. People say they don’t like the one-and-dones, but then trash any player who returns. Our overly demanding fans run players off then complain that we can’t keep anyone.

• RealCatsFan
      12:06 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

Agree J-Dub – you are preaching to the choir. πŸ˜€

13. ClutchCargo
    1:10 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

Last!

14. ClutchCargo
    11:57 pm April 18, 2018 Permalink

You two already posted today, though. CC FTW!