Gary Parrish just told the most John Calipari story ever

cal-dealwithit

Earlier today, Gary Parrish told an amazing story about John Calipari on his radio show on 92.9 FM in Memphis. A few of you alerted us to it, so I checked out the podcast, and wow, you weren’t lying. Parrish told a story about how Cal stole a recruit from another coach and when the coach started spreading rumors about him, Cal confronted him about it, telling him that because he’s Cal and it’s Kentucky, it’s going to happen, so deal with it.

Here’s the prologue in short: Parrish says there was a prominent coach within the last three years that had been recruiting a kid hard, attended over thirty of his games over two years, etc. Calipari came in after seeing the kid once the previous summer and watched him play one game. The recruit then committed to Kentucky. That’s not the craziest part. According to Parrish, the coach started spreading rumors about how Cal must have cheated to get the recruit, that he barely knew his name, etc. So, Cal confronted the coach in Vegas.

Parrish recounts the story, which he says he heard from five different sources:

“100% true, John confronts this guy in Vegas, because he heard the guy was yapping. He confronts him. Cal approaches the coach and says something like ‘Listen, I know what you’ve been saying’

‘No, I haven’t been saying–‘

‘I know you did, I know you said what you said. I’ve heard it from enough people, but I want you to understand one thing. Yes I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day, if I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him. Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.

‘I didn’t say–‘

‘Yes you did say that. And it’s fine, but just understand, nothing stupid went on. It’s just that I’m me, and we’re Kentucky and we can come in and get that kid whenever we want.”

Any guesses on who the recruit was? Here’s the podcast if you want to listen and judge for yourself. The story about Cal starts around the 38-minute mark:

77 Comments for Gary Parrish just told the most John Calipari story ever

1. Robman181
    9:35 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Gotta be Anthony Davis and Bruce Weber.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:40 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Ahhh, good call.

• Patrick
      9:48 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Could explain that quick handshake in the 2014 Tourney after we beat him.

• Priceless
      12:15 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Guess Cal did not want Newman, Brown, Zimmerman etc. from this class since he gets who he wants. Already losing guys for next year to dUKe as well but now I know why, Cal just did not want them…….

• Brian
      12:21 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

TROLL

2. inside info2
    9:38 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

It wouldn’t be Pastner. They are friends. Cal was bringing him here if Josh didn’t get the Memphis job.

3. BigBluSoTru
    9:50 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

All it does is confirms what other coaches think of Cal, It’s nothing too brag about. Reinforces Cal’s think he is bigger and badder . And he needs to win more championships cause getting ready made NBA players drafted ain’t what a true fan cares about.

• Cal
      10:14 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Deal with it.

• Adam from Awesome Trot
      10:30 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Yet, this is the most successful run we have ever had. I also wish he was more title focused, but if someone told me before Cal that we’d have a coach that in 6 years got us to 4 final fours and a title, I wouldn’t believe them, and then I’d be thrilled.

• Tx cat fan
      11:36 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Omg! You’ve got to be kidding? He’s run we’ve ever had and you come across as pretty pathetic. Do you think any other coach would take ANY players of any caliber and get this run? Btw, it is pretty ridiculous not to give credit to cal and staff for taking talented payers and improving them during their time. Also for blending that Talent into a team.

• BigBlueSoTru
      11:43 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

BigBluSoTru August 6, 2015 at 8:26 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Huh Drake and our secondary self reported violation. Tyler good try on this but Laser Tag and young men is a very fun fun thing to do no diffrent than paint ball. The NCAA is ignorant when it comes to this type stuff, and the recruits where the 5th senior s not some future freshman that you inadvertly left out of the story.

BigBluSoTru May 17, 2015 at 11:23 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Like It (0)
      Does’nt surprise me one bit .Cal is nothing more than smoke and mirrors

BigBluSoTru May 15, 2015 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
      let’s be honest as great of a salesman recruiter Cal is he doe’s not develop players. I’m sorry he does not get any credit whatsoever about Rose , Tyreke and the list goes on of already made players. The twins came to UK with can’t miss NBA hype and three years later . We see the results and no i’m not a troll sometimes you have to be honest with what you see rather than feel in the heart. And the eyes don’t lie

BigBluSoTru May 4, 2015 at 7:29 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      So i guess you really think after signing a million dollar check. He will be sitting at the kitchen table every night on his apple tablet completing online courses. LOL! Hey college student heres a 1,000 complete this crap please.

BigBluSoTru May 19, 2015 at 9:23 pm | Permalink
      Timberwolves will pick Okafor they need fire power plus they have defensive front court guys already.

BigBluSoTru May 15, 2015 at 11:17 pm | Permalink
      Okay what have i said any more or less stupid than any other retard on here? It’s obvious u are idiot to go through all that! That’s why we are labled as crazy. Thing is i know i’m from eastern ky and proud of it . Town right next to Matt

BigBluSoTru October 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Permalink
      So now that Chane is going too be back soon guess this article is mute.

BigBluSoTru October 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
      Just shows Rick wsa doing it big before Cal ever had that kind of status.

BigBluSoTru October 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink
      Siva is with the pistons morron and Chris Smith was picked up with the Knicks learn some things.

BigBluSoTru May 25, 2015 at 9:45 pm | Permalink
      Here we go with this over hyped Fb crap .. Stop the Flordia talk we are not and what in your ignorant minds think we have arrived to beat the Gators yet. Grease the goal post yell you are right . Those things do get a bit rusty without touchdowns from the home team going threw em.

BigBluSoTru August 10, 2015 at 7:19 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Injuries and we are Uk football this is the year we beat Florida and win the East. We have the most talent in the conference thanks to Vince beating Ohio St for recruits . So we can overcome any injury !

BigBluSoTru October 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Find it quite strange how all ksr does is talk about Louisville and thug team. Well all the serious criminal activity has been coming from Stoops troops. Hmmm Matt !

BigBluSoTru July 24, 2015 at 7:26 pm | Permalink
      This is the year we win the East , and looking at the players and the way Alabama played last year and the coaching hires and talent . I don’t see us losing in the Sec championship game to Alabama Saban said he feared UK more than any other team from the east.

BigBluSoTru July 25, 2015 at 1:09 am | Permalink
      Clarrett being here ain’t gonna change UK football sorry. Marrow just helping put a little channge into a relatives pocket beleive me he aint here for free.

BigbluSoTru January 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink
      Matt keeps up the fb recruiting drama, because we will constantly like today live on this propaganda made up hype site, putting money in his pockets. Have to give Matt credit for the business savy, of taking advantage of no life having 40-60 something uk idiots

BigBluSoTru August 11, 2015 at 6:03 pm | Permalink | Reply
      Cbs poll came out wich is total BS have the tards @ no.25 and CATS @ 68 should be the other way around. We are winning the East this year.

• BigBlueBoom
      6:44 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

I’m really a pathetic stalker. I like to copy and paste yrs worth of people’s post because my pathetic life revolves around kids that play basketball. I need their love to feel important in life.

• TardFan502
      9:44 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Aw, that’s cute fake BigBlueBoom. You’re the pathetic one trolling on a UK site. I guess you have nothing better going on there in your mom’s basement. Fire up that blunt and pour some Crown Royal that you bought with your mom’s money.

• BigBlueBoom
      12:43 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Hahaha! I didn’t do that. But thanks for letting me live rent free in your head!

4. SirBrandon
    9:52 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Swaggy Cal hath much swag.

5. Admiral Sax
    9:52 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

I’ve heard this story before, and It was Mick Cronin yapping about Marquis Teague. Cal is the best.

6. jason
    9:53 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Definitely a good call. Its Weber and its about Davis and the whole Sun times 200K BS. And i love it. Ive hated Weber ever since and REJOICED that we gotto beat him, as i guarentee Cal did.

7. empireblue
    9:53 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

This exchange clearly happened prior to the 2015-16 recruiting class.

8. Drew Franklin
    9:55 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Stacey Poole.

• JC
      11:58 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

You sir are a funny man.

9. ALL PLAYERS KNOW
    9:56 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

I too have heard Parrish tell this same story in reference to Marquis Teague and Mick Cronin.

10. SugahPi
    9:57 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Swiggity swag

11. Rockfield, KY
    9:57 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Kyle Wiltjer?

12. Davidb
    9:57 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

The recruit has to be Isaiah Briscoe. That recruitment didn’t take long after cal decided that’s who he wanted.

13. Bmt89
    9:58 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Syracuse and Nerlens, jim took several shots at cal over the past 3 years

• CKDexterHaven
      2:09 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Cal did NOT speak to a Boeheim with that tone and attitude. No matter what he thinks of himself, he doesn’t go there with a Boeheim. A Cronin type – that I can buy. Gotta be someone who hasn’t won anything yet, isn’t in the HOF, is physically smaller, etc. Cal is no badass.

14. James
    9:58 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Last 3 years would be 13, 14, or 15 classes. Best candidates would be marcus lee, ulis, booker, or Briscoe. Or Murray. I know Altman put a ton of time in with Murray and cal stole him. Same with Alvin and Briscoe

15. Ky_Tom
    10:10 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

@Bigblusotru…Sorry dude, Its is what it is…Cal recruits players who are not interested in staying in college, and only come to school to help improve their game and get ready for the NBA Draft…Coach Cal said this the day He was introduced as Head Coach of Kentucky. He would Make UK a Players First School…That means Players hopes and dreams over ride any of the BBN might have…Sure, Cal will try and win championships, only because He has the players to get his teams there…Unlike last this past season, no way they should have lost to Wisconsin, and should have completed the season with a perfect 40-0 record with the schools 9th National Championship…But, things didn’t go as planed in that game, then throw in a few bad calls here and there, and Wisconsin wins keeping the BBN and UK out of the Championship game….I’ll take year after year, after year of Final four appearances, anytime over not getting in, or going home before the sweet sixteen…My advise would be, Be Happy, or Get Over It, cause Cal and UK are a Players First School that recruits players the NCAA and NBA tried to kill their hopes and dreams of playing in the NBA by putting on a age limit for employment in the NBA….

• Adam from Awesome Trot
      10:26 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

I got my Chem E degree from UK, if they’d had an Engineer draft after my first year, I’d have entered and said Bye Felicia as I left.

• ukjaybrat
      7:30 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Trolls that try to make fun of our success is just a really stupid thing to troll at….
      “You have all that talent and all you do is go to final fours every year? god that must suck!”

Not as much as being little brother…

16. Pierce
    10:11 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Are Bruce Weber and/or Mick Cronin “prominent coaches?” I certainly don’t think so…

• KevinM
      7:07 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

I think its Izzo. Cal grabs Ulis after very little effort when Mudiay decided to change course and go to SMU.

Izzo fits prominent……Cronin and Weber don’t.

17. Shorttermmemoryloss
    10:12 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Ulis fits that description and Izzo has been known to make accusations and do some crying.

I’m not sure Davis and Webber because Webber didn’t really go hard after Davis until he blew up. Davis only early offer was Cleveland State supposedly.

It somewhat fits the Marquis Teague story we’ve heard before but Cincy was never the favorite for Teague and Cal actually spent a ton of time recruiting Teague.

Murray sort of fits too. And Cal was in Vegas recently.

And we haven’t went against Altman a ton for recruits and this sort of sounds like a “this guy doesn’t know better, so I’ll let him know” story.

One reason I think Cal might plan on coaching longer than the 10 years he initially let on is because he clearly takes a great deal of pride in his status as the coach of Kentucky. Possible he’s been a fan for a long time.

18. me
    10:13 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

It’s Cronin and this story was out there a couple years ago…how the people around here don’t recall is beyond me.

It’s 1000% Cronin, about Teague…not Weber/Davis

19. doug slaughter
    10:13 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

confirmed 100% its Mick Cronin and M. Teague

20. Adam from Awesome Trot
    10:15 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

The comments start at 37:00 if you want to skip ahead.

21. Don Vito Corleone
    10:17 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Reminds me of my son Michael.

22. Adam from Awesome Trot
    10:18 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Jamal Murray also fits this. He was 2016-2017 bound for Oregon now he’s 2015-2016 bound here.

23. Ken Cross
    10:19 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

This has to be Roy Williams! He’s well known for calling the NCAA and turning coaches in himself! Hopefully they’re going to come down on him like the fall of a giant redwood very soon! That aw shucks garbage is a front and a cover! It’s now proven players there took bogus classes and he and his class knew it!

24. kcwildcat
    10:26 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Would’ve guessed Tjones and the washington commit recommit debacle…

25. GrandePdre
    10:26 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Parrish does mention that it’s a recruit from the last 3 years, though, so that would eliminate Teague and Davis. Still could it be Weber as it pertains to Cauley-Stein? Booker?

• me
      10:28 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Guys, stop with all the nonsense…it’s Cronin/Teague…effing KSR had the story on this very site when it happened. Jesus.

26. davekay1971
    10:28 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Except when we’re Duke and then, well, you’re Cal and Kentucky and that’s cute, but we’re K and Duke and we win again.

• BAdams
      10:38 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure Coach K has only mimicked Coach Cal’s recruiting style. And that was after being one of many coaches bashing the one and done. So u can thank Cal for Duke getting top recruits again. But pretty soon players will realize who translates better in the NBA and it’s not hard to figure that out.

• BBR
      11:07 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

I just watched one of our games from last season again the other day and was listening to Vitale and others going on and on about how Okafor was going to be the number 1 pick in the draft an it wasn’t even close. That was the consensus opinion going into the season. Then coach krybaby gets hold of him and coaches him down in the draft while Cal coaches Towns up in the draft to number 1.

• mph
      8:04 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Bet you weren’t watching the Wisconsin game. As for Okafor slipping from 1st to 3rd, I guess he’ll just have to console himself with his national championship ring.

We already knew Cal isn’t in K’s league as a coach. This story confirms that he isn’t in K’s league as a human being. But hey, congrats on 38-1.

27. snarkster
    10:28 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

I’m saying Ulis and he snaked Izzo.

• snarkster
      10:55 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

IIRC, Izzo had been all over Ulis and even had him penciled in to run the Sparty offense. He wasn’t recruiting any other points either. Everyone assumed Tyler was headed there to, but the Mudiay chose TCU, Jones appeared headed to the dookies. Cal swooped in and (with the help of Tyler’s buddy Char;es Matthews, landed him overnight. Really upturned Izzy’s apple cart and left them scrambling. Heard he was pretty pissed. Cal did nothing wrong though, and he’s right – sometimes things like that are gonna happen when you go against a brand like UK. Just ask Stoops what it was like when Saban and Bama turned up the Mojo on a certain Richmond RB.

28. Megan
    10:40 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

To those who insist that it’s a certain coach and a certain player, your words/memories are hardly convincing. Are we supposed to believe you because you say so? How about citing some evidence/reference/authority to support what you’re saying? Something we can look up and confirm for ourselves?

So anyone got a cite?

29. BlueMark
    10:42 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

I have no information re: Teague and Cronin, but this also sounds a lot like Poythress and Stallings.

30. Dnabb
    10:44 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Teague, Cronin
    The cheating rumor he spread was that cal gave Anthony Davis $200,000
    FACT

31. Conner Collis
    10:47 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Terrence Jones

32. Ukcory15
    10:47 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Could be Ulis, didn’t we miss out on Muliday and someone else. Then all of a sudden we got Ulis. But I thought Cal and Izzo got along. But Creen could sound like he would cry a lot about something like that and Cal has gotten a few Indiana kids the last few yrs.

33. Jeff
    10:49 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

I have no info but thinking about this logically….it is a recruit that cal got involved with late over the last 3 years. He was on nerlens, poythress and goodwin for a long time but wcs could fit here. The whole 2013 class is out except for maybe Marcus Lee. In 14 it was towns, Booker, ulis and lyles. Ulis does fit here but I don’t think cal and izzo would have had that spat. And then this year you could argue that briscoe, mulder, and Murray all fit.

• blueblooded
      11:16 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Good find. Thanks!

34. RexLex
    10:54 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Adam Trot, that engineers draft comment is just awesome dude.

35. KY Basketball
    11:12 pm August 11, 2015 Permalink

Haha, player is Ulis, Coach is Izzo… but Tyler was still torn between MSU and Iowa.. who wouldn’t go to UK over those schools? Love how Calipari handled it tho..

36. Pradeep Yogesh Balasubramanian
    12:29 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Man, the trailer trash is out tonight

• Dude
      12:43 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

I know, the Louisville trolls are out in force lately. Turning KSR comment sections into a bathroom wall, per usual.

• ukjaybrat
      7:42 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Dude, you gotta table those comments or they will turn this into the wasteland of forced logins again… we have to embrace the ignorance of trolls or suffer not being able to talk to the troglodytes that don’t know how to create an account.

• Dude
      1:24 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Man, that would suck……. 😐

37. Hartline
    2:38 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

I don’t even know how to handle this comment. It does make me laugh though.

38. Blue
    9:33 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

I don’t have any insider information, but when I read this article the first name that popped in my head was Ulis and Izzo. Izzo never explicitly said names, and he never actually said coaches were cheating, but he did give a couple of interviews last year that sounded like sour grapes. Saying things like, “We are going to do things a certain way here at Michigan State, and if it means we lose out on a few players here and there, so be it. We’re not going to do questionable things to convince players like some other coaches may do,” or something along those lines. I would assume Izzo and Cal would have a mutual respect that would avoid a situation like this, but at the same time, judging by Izzo’s public comments last year, it sounded like he was targeting Cal directly, without specifically saying it.

I remember the Cronin/Teague thing, but that was like 4 or 5 years ago. This clearly says in the last 3 years. The recruitment of Ulis was a coup, and coupled with Izzo’s interview comments last year, it seems to be the most logical choice.

39. Blue
    9:36 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

hahahaha….bahahaha….hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ray Harper? Prominent? Pissed about KENTUCKY stealing his recru….hahahahahahahahahaha

His recruit 25 minutes from UK’s campus….hahahahahahahahaha

Oh man…That is rich.

Dude..Seriously? If you’re the coach at WKU and Kentucky (or any major D-1 school for that matter) steals a recruit from you, you shouldn’t be pissed. You should expect it.

40. andrew hess
    10:38 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Pitino and Teague………lol

41. Juan
    11:56 am August 12, 2015 Permalink

Hilarious – hard to decide which is more embarassing – An arrogant blowhard who has put two schools on probation for cheating telling a “AND THEN I TOLD HIM!!!” story (whoever the coach was you know it didn’t happen that way) or the site that proudly reprints the transcript of the embarassing comments from their arrogant, blowhard coach?

• ukjaybrat
      2:50 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

most embarrassing = louisville fans that troll ksr because their own team can’t beat the JV PR team… tsk tsk tsk

• ukjaybrat
      2:53 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

especially when not a few weeks earlier their own pathetic lying coach threw his PR team under the bus saying that his *real* team would “beat this team by 10 or 15 points”

HA HA HA !!!!

• Brian
      4:00 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Failing to find the information that says Cal was responsible for the teams cheating….? Going on, oh, 7 years now.

I just see that Camby hired an agent (not cheating) and Rose SAT ‘may’ have been taken by someone else, before he even got to Memphis, even though the NCAA itself cleared him TWICE to play…..

You know whats embarrassing? Going 1-7 vs your rival, all the while bragging about your adulterer coach who lies every time he opens his mouth. Get real, dumbass.

• J-Dub421
      4:26 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

From USA Today in 2013: The University of Louisville announced Tuesday that it will keep assistant football coach Clint Hurtt on staff as he deals with NCAA sanctions stemming from his time at Miami (Fla.). Hurtt’s punishment comes as a result of him receiving and providing impermissible benefits to recruits while at Miami, according to the NCAA. The NCAA also alleges Hurtt and another former Miami assistant provided false and misleading information to its investigators, known formally as the 10.1 unethical conduct rule violation.

42. Jose
    12:35 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

This story isn’t referring to Mick Cronin.

1. The whole Teague/Cal/Mick thing was 5 years ago and this story states this incident occurred within the last 3 years.

2. Cal can likely get any recruit who wants over Mick but he isn’t dumb enough to confront Mick in person and try to talk to him like that…Why? Same reason he never confronted Mick when the Teague stuff supposedly went down.

3. Read on another site.that this is likely over Ullis/Booker…so you guys do the math on who the coach was.

• 1+1
      6:48 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

You’re wrong on all accounts here. Nice try though, Jose. Keep up the good math pendejo!

43. James
    3:52 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

If it is about Ulis the coach would have to be McCaffrey at Iowa. He recruited Ulis non-stop for two years. Izzo got in on Ulis late after he realized he no longer has a shot at Tyus Jones.

Besides, I really can’t see Izzo talking behind Cal’s back or Cal talking to Izzo like that.

44. Sterling Pless
    9:30 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Hey which recruit it must be Davis and Weber because Weber bitched when he lost Scheyer and Livingston to K. Or some body else Marquis Teague sucks he wasn’t as good as Jeff and Jeff wasn’t as hyped.

45. Keith Wilson
    8:22 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Coach Cal…….wasn’t too arrogant after Wisconsin put the whammy on their undefeated season and title hopes this year.