Free Meek Mill (Monday Show Thread)

How was your Super Bowl Sunday?  Probably not as good as Karl-Anthony Towns’.

The former Kentucky Wildcat was on the sidelines as a credentialed photographer for The Players’ Tribune.  Like KSR, he did not arrive as an unbiased media member.  Instead, he rocked a “Free Meek Mill” Eagles jersey.  Matt and the KSR crew will talk about everything that happened at the Super Bowl, UK’s loss at Missouri and much more on today’s edition of Kentucky Sports  Radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

77 Comments for Free Meek Mill (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:57 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yesterday I thought of that Eagles fan that requested that his pallbearers wear Eagle jerseys so “they could let him down one last time”.
    Hope he was looking down…and smiling.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:03 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I saw a guy at Kroger yesterday with an Eagles jersey on. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on a human being in public in person before.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:07 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Best Super Bowl commercial? Kia with Steven Tyler, hands down.
    “Every time when I look in the mirror, all these lines on my face getting clearer”. Wow,
    Make me young again.

• RealCatsFan
      10:13 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I wish all I had to do is jump in a car and drive backwards to get my knee to stop hurting. 🙂

One of the very first ads for the paraolympics was very inspiring as well. If that commercial didn’t make you want to jump up and break a sweat in a workout, then you might want to have someone check for a pulse.

4. Realme
    10:09 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Fun listen as we think about all the happy, crazy people in Philly today.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I always said if you want to beat Brady; you had to play to win. That 4th and goal from the one TE pass to the QB was awesome.

5. Realme
    10:10 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

So. Most important question of the weekend. Was Winyard on the bench Saturday? I forgot to check.

6. Well, KSR has figured out a way for their ambulance chaser ad to get past AdGuard on Safari on the iPad/iPhone. Kudos to their IT guys I guess.

• A very obtrusive ad BTW. I know ads pay the bills, but obtrusive ads drive away traffic it seems to me. So far it hasn’t gotten past AdBlock Plus on the PC (oops, was that out loud?).

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I haven’t had it pop up on my laptop, thank god, because I am at work on that one. On my phone, I just have to wait for the countdown, then touch the X to close it, so I am proud to say that I have not watched it yet, but just the fact that I have to deal with this pain in the ass because of this idiot ensures that I will avoid him like the plague no matter how desperately I may need an attorney someday.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:27 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

It gets by Adblock plus on Firefox mobile. The only reason I ever changed browsers was KSR. Ad block is beyond mandatory.
      I would much rather pay for access than have 40 % of my screen completely unusable.

Sigh.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, I simply cannot understand why KSR has not rolled out a paid membership that is ad free. You would think that they could generate just as much revenue that way. Maybe I am completely wrong about this.

• MasterBurglar
      1:12 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

There is an Ad Free option on KSR. Touch the “More” tab in bottom right corner. Then remove ads. It costs $2.99 a month.

• Maybe it’s because for so long Matt has insisted that paid sites are the past and free sites are the future. However, a paid OPTION would be just that, and not mandatory.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

As someone who works in the legal field, don’t hire Daryl Isaacs as your attorney.

7. Realme
    10:15 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Wow. Just imagine if Ryan had pulled that “I had to change my pants” line!

8. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Don’t want to be “that guy”, but I feel like UK Football missed a golden opportunity to take advantage of the national attention on the Benny Snell ejection fiasco and make the ad funny, jet motivating. It just looked like any other football hype video to me. I was a little disappointed.

• Booby Petrino
      10:41 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

it doesn’t really get national attention, does it? I thought some of the commercials were localized, this being one of them. Only air in regions.

• Realme
      10:44 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

The commercial wasn’t national, but the attention on the Benny ejection was.

• Right, but it may have gone viral. The problem is, if they had done that I think the zebras and their supervisors would have had a fit, claiming it’s encouraging players to “put their hands” on the stripes.

• Realme
      10:50 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I think they originally wanted to be more in your face with the commercial, but then chickened out for reasons Chris touched on.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

The whiners after the game Saturday are getting boring.They don’t like the one-and-done talent Cal is bringing in. Maybe they should root for the 4 year players at Wisconsin…they’re 10-15 and have lost 5 in a row Hah.
    They also say our players have no basketball IQ. The Badgers were down three with 10 seconds left; they dribbled at the top of the key til 3 seconds left….and drove the lane for a layup…ha ha ha. You’re down three, geniuses…how’s that for basketball IQ?

• Realme
      10:32 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Those people will always find reasons to complain. Once Cal retires, they’ll find new reasons to be dissatisfied.

I liked a lot of what I saw on defense, but that offensive performance was a fiery garbage barge.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I’m proud to say I didn’t even look at the comments on any post this weekend. It kills brain cells, so think I will try to stay away from those permanently.

• That’s hilarious! I didn’t see that.

Realme, we DESPERATELY need a shooter. Granted, Jemerl (sp?) Baker was supposed to be that guy this year. Maybe we would have won at least a game or 2 that we’ve lost. Who knows though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:35 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I scanned through them, but didn’t really post other than in reply to one knucklehead bitching about the “Cal koolaid”. I asked him which koolaid he prefers – the K Koolaid, Ol Roy Koolaid, Izzo Koolaid, etc. Pretty much all of them taste like goat piss, since they are all taking their lumps this year. Radio silence. 🙂

• Realme
      10:36 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

If they would pass the ball every now and then it would make a big difference. I don’t think it’s selfishness, I just think they lose their minds out there sometimes. Still plenty of time for a team this young to grow.

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

rg, Louisville did a similar bonehead move at the end of their game when they were down 3.

• I meant the Wisky thing from RG is hilarious.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

With Baker and Herro next season, I believe we have our pure shooters.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

@Realme – totally agree on the so-called selfishness. These guys are used to always being The Man who has to mainly carry their team, and it just takes time to learn to trust your teammates to do their jobs. It’s just not happening as quickly or completely this season.

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Who do these people want, Coach K who pays players, Ole’ Roy whose players can’t read, or Izzo who sweeps rape under the rug?

• J-Dub, I’m like you. I don’t like to think much about Cal leaving. The thing is, we may not even know our next coach’s name yet. It may be a non-power 5 coach who will get hot in the next few years or so.

Also, I disagree with your one point. UNCheat players can read and write. After all, they wrote 1 rambling incoherent paragraph to pass those “courses”, so they can at least do 2 of the R’s. 😛

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

CG, you’re right, I engaged in hyperbole. UNC players can read……… at a third grade level.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Key turning point in the game was when we went on a run and got within 1 early in 2nd half. Then we did something stupid and let them run off 8 unanswered points. Ball game.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:43 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Don’t understand why Matt and everybody says Mizzou is no good. They beat Iowa State, Tennessee, and Alabama. They lost to WVa by four, and Florida by two. If Porter had been able to play, they were a Final Four team.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I know for a fact that Mizzou is better than St. John’s, which is who Duke lost to. St. Johns is 11-13 this season.

• Realme
      10:48 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Ugh, I would have hated him if he were playing. He looked so full of himself on the sideline. Carries himself like he’s an NBA all star already.

Funny watching the announcers praise the fact that his dad (was hired for recruiting purposes) was on the bench.

And when Vern tried to say Jarred just about threw a punch, when he did no such thing, but thought the swinging elbow smash to the face that Shai took was a regular foul.

12. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Alabama lost to Missouri, and then smacked Florida at Gainesville. Total parity in the SEC, and across the country.
    I brought up parity over the weekend, and someone replied, “parity my ass team can’t shoot, simple as that”. Ha ha….yep, very simple.

• runningunnin.454
      11:00 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

BTW, yeah 18 points in first half is bad; but, Florida only scored 17 in the 2nd half against ‘Bama.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

That was the same knucklehead (Jim Bob?) who replied to my post as well. Talking about the “Cal Koolaid”.

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

If it was jimtom, he’s one of the chronically negative.

• 4everUKblue
      12:20 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Jim Tom, Crickets and CallitlikeIseeit are three of the worst.

13. J-Dub421
    10:54 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Of course our players and coaches are frustrated by all the negativity. We have a bunch of loud obnoxious unreasonable morons complaining about everything constantly.

14. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

It would be nice if the stupid mod bot would at least underline or bold the word that it has a problem with.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Haha! Yeah, right? I have found that rephrasing the exact same post to be within the context of bitching about the mod bot almost always gets it right through, for some strange reason.

15. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Matt has a point. And yes, there will be some fans who would be glad to see us go back to the Tubby days when most players stayed for four years but we don’t sniff the final four for 15 years.

16. RealCatsFan
    10:59 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Geesh, I give up. Do a google search on “Heat Miser” from the Christmas cartoon from the 60’s, and tell me that dude doesn’t look like Bill Belichick.

17. J-Dub421
    11:11 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Drew Franklin gets it.

18. J-Dub421
    11:16 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Michael from Dallas’ dad for the win!

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Can’t believe Matt didn’t make it the call of the day.

• Sorry to go all “What did he say?” on you all again, but what did he say? 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

He called to defend Cal and said that Cal sent a handwritten note and autographed basketball to an 11 year old girl in their town in Wyatt, TX who has Leukimia. He said it made her day and that Cal is a good man.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I have a feeling that we will never know just how many times Cal does stuff like this and it doesn’t get widespread exposure. I bet it is maybe on a daily thing for him, but probably a couple times a week. Have always thought that it would be cool to be wealthy enough to be able to just find random people out there who need help and give that help to them. Reminds me of the wealthy guy they show on the news who goes around as an anonymous Santa and helps people in need. Our world needs more of this!

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Cal does lots of stuff like that, and he encourages his players to do it too. Look at how many of our guys get awards and recognition in the NBA for their charity work.

19. Realme
    11:16 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

When did “we are the best fan base in the world” become “we are entitled to win every game or else we get to act really ugly”? The decade+ before Cal was miserable. Now we’re on top or within sight of it pretty much every year, and these people are LESS happy.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

The sense of entitlement really bothers me with the negative people, and I see it all the time. “We as fans deserve better…” I see some variation of that a lot. You deserve nothing snowflake! Cal and the players do not owe fans anything. Where does that sense of entitlement come from?

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I don’t believe that’s the case, Realme. The miserable and entitled ones just have more access to act out on social media than they did back in the Tubby days. And their tantrums reach far more people than the Herald Leader comment section did.

• Realme
      11:26 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I have said that before to a co-worker and he lost his &^%$. They literally think they are owed something. No idea where they get that, but it’s real.

• Realme
      11:28 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

^that was pertaining to the comment that Cal and the players don’t “owe” fans anything.

Clutch, you may be right, but my thoughts on this are more based on face to face interactions with other fans in Lexington, not crazy people online.

20. RealCatsFan
    11:25 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I can distinctly remember seeing “Joe B Gone” bumper stickers back in the 80’s. So yeah, we have always had that whining, entitled part of the fan base who will never be satisfied.

21. UKGrad2008
    11:27 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

We have two types of fans on KSR this year: Fans who complain about the team, and fans who complain about those who complain about the team. Both are miserable.

• Realme
      11:30 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

You make a good point. I personally let unreasonable people make me crazy.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

UKGrad, I try my best to ignore them, but sometimes they just goad me into it. 😉

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Then, what’s your solution? Just ignore the negative a-holes and let them take over the internet and be the sole representatives of our fanbase?

• Realme
      11:50 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

We have Matt saying that some of the online stuff hurts recruiting, according to the coaching staff. So that is a real life reason to be frustrated with the nuts. Not that complaining about complainers is fixing things either. Don’t know what the answer is.

22. Laker Cat 18
    11:37 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I disagree with the Jay Wright reasoning. UK pays Cal over $5 million more than Villanova pays Wright. Not saying it would be that much, but it wouldn’t be far from it. I definitely think he seriously considers if
    given that opportunity.

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Yep. Nick Saban also won a NC at LSU, and he left to go to ‘Bama. The Big Dog is the Big Dog.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Would much rather see Jerry Tipton retire than Cutler. Who the hell are we going to find to chase our coaches through the hallways now?

24. Realme
    11:41 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I love Cutler, but no way he had a good radio show. His fill ins for KSR were unlistenable.

• DrSayre
      11:42 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

But the 2 minutes he talks to the Truth were pure gold!

• Realme
      11:44 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I don’t remember that, had probably turned it off. I bet it was brilliant.

• DrSayre
      11:49 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

I think it was the first time he guest hosted KSR, probably around 2011. I cant remember exactly what they talked about, but it was obvious Alan didnt know anything about Truth and they got into this bizarre argument about something with IU. To me that call made the entire show worth it.

25. Realme
    11:48 am February 5, 2018 Permalink

Anyone hear the LAP commercial with the guy that has a New Orleans inspired restaurant off Leestown RD? No idea what he said for the name of the restaurant, but I need to know!

• Stump
      12:05 pm February 5, 2018 Permalink

Tchoupitoulas, 1401 North Forbes Road. It’s been getting fantastic reviews. (Chop-it-too-las).

• Realme