Four-year-old boy hit by car at Kentucky football game has died

We regret to inform you this evening that the four-year-old boy hit by a car outside of Kroger Field on Saturday afternoon has passed away.

In a statement given from the University of Kentucky to the Kentucky Kernel, Marco Lee Shemwell died on Monday afternoon at Kentucky Children’s Hospital after fighting life-threatening injuries.

18-year-old UK student and Alpha Tau Omega pledge Jacob Heil was charged with driving under the influence after veering off the road and hitting the boy on the sidewalk on Cooper Drive on Saturday afternoon.

According to the arrest citation, Heil had “strong odor of alcohol” and “red, blood-shot, watery eyes” when the police arrived at the scene. He was released eight hours after his arrest.

All of us here at KSR pray for the family of those involved and hope they can find peace. An absolute tragedy.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

59 Comments for Four-year-old boy hit by car at Kentucky football game has died

1. (Aixelsyd)0505
    9:06 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Horrible. So sad and heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers are with the little boys family and friends.

2. Oh my. If any of the family or close friends see this, you have my deepest sympathies and prayers. God bless.

3. maximumscott
    9:11 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Wow. This os unbelievably appalling. I have a 3 year old daughter and cant imagine how this family must feel. So sudden, so quick, no warning after a football game. This idiot decides to drive drunk. Punish him to thw furthest extent of the law!

If the family is reading this. Im extremely sorry for your loss.

4. Based God
    9:14 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Terrible. All of you who were criticizing Lex PD for trying to track down the people who flipped the car last weekend, this is why they were right to do so. You can not allow that kind of drunken, lawless behavior to go on unpunished or people will get hurt. There needs to be more of a crackdown on/near campus to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

• joe_finebomb
      10:56 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Prayer for the family. No words can make this better. It’s a horrible tragedy! They’ve lost a baby. A kid that was a baby wildcat. A kid that was full of life and energy. This is so sad and I don’t even want to try to imagine the pain this family is feeling right now.

• easy
      8:35 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I think the opposite really. News flash, college kids are going to get drunk. Now the school doesn’t allow students to tailgate at the stadium on gameday? What the heck did they think would happen??

Obviously they were naive enough to not see that it was going to be exactly what did happen – they drink somewhere far away from the game and give each other rides back and forth. Same thing with when they decided to go back to a wet campus a few years ago…It is much safer for everyone to keep these college kids WHO ARE GOING TO DRINK, regardless of whatever crackdown you want to do, right in front of you where the university can monitor them and where they don’t have to drive.

5. Alleykat16
    9:15 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Prayers to the family

• CatsCats88
      10:42 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Because Mommy and Daddy “Have Money” is what I read somewhere. They posted his bail. That’s the direction the world is going, and it’s sickening. He will get manslaughter and go away for a long time.

They will pull the “ he is just a kid who made a mistake” card, “is that worth throwing his life away for, he won’t make it in prison.” The same thing that Standford swimmers parents and attorney did.

Prayers to the family, I have a 6 and 2 year old and I can’t even fathom what they are going through.

• CatsCats88
      10:43 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

This was suppose to go under comment 6

6. Tango98
    9:21 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Terrible, prayers for the family. And how was the driver released 8 hours later??? Crazy!

• Luether
      7:04 pm September 18, 2018 Permalink

Little kids do crazy and unpredictable things. It was an accident. The driver is innocent until proven guilty…

7. KyCats8x
    9:24 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

No words could do this situation justice. Love and prayers up to the family.

• JTHinton
      9:49 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

My thoughts exactly. Only God can heal this.

8. east-ky-boy
    9:26 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

This is heartbreaking. Prayers for that family. Can’t imagine!

9. Drogon
    9:35 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Should be punishable by death.

• cats646
      9:49 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

^^^

• ArmyCatFan
      10:14 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

You’d put an 18 year old kid to death for making a mistake? Granted a terrible one, but saying stuff like that doesn’t help man.

Sympathies and condolences for the family.

• Dragon
      10:46 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

A mistake that killed someone ArmyCat so yeah.

• KYJelly
      10:49 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

If my 3year old son was hit by an 18 year old and your defense was “he made a mistake” … do you really think that is a justifiable response. I would bet that seeing someone say that would bother the family more than what the original poster said.

• cap1815
      11:46 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely yes, he is an adult. He killed a child

• bluetide
      10:24 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

ArmyCat was not arguing against punishment but that it is too far to execute someone for a terrible mistake even if that involves death. Execution is something society is largely undecided on in the first place, but when it is used it is used only for pre-meditated malicious acts of murder.

• Cletis75
      11:38 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Armycatfan, if that was my child, I can’t promise you that I wouldn’t have tried to force that sentence on him myself! Am very overprotective of my daughter, I can’t help it. I have worked on it and everyone brags about my self control now and how much I have grown up from my younger days, but I know something of that magnitude could possibly cause me to revert back.

• mashburnfan1
      12:19 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

He did not make a mistake, he made a choice. He chose to go drink and not have another way home or staying put. Doing that he chose to put all others at risk. They will also go after whoever supplied the drinks to an underage idiot and they will get charged with manslaughter. It was not even 4pm when this happened, anyone CHOOSING to drink and drive in that area deserves way more than he will get. Hopefully someone does real justice when this scumbag gets out. When I was younger I had a 9 year old friend killed by a drunk driver and it was very hard, that was a friend, I can’t imagine what this family mst be going through. And I assume they were there and saw it happen. just sad.

10. jaws2
    9:49 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m praying for both families. That 18 year old kid ruined his life and another family’s life because of an obvious error in judgement and his family is going to suffer as well. In fact, his parents are going to live through hell the rest of their lives for what their child has done.
    You certainly can’t compare that to losing a child, but in my eyes, both families need prayers. I happen to believe that’s what God wants.

• kinghh
      12:23 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Most intellectual post on here.. Feel so, so sorry for the 4 year olds family….yet, we were all 18 at one time, and we all made terrible judgements. This one just happened to effect some many lives. Many, many condolences for both families..

• mashburnfan1
      12:29 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

But his parents still have him to see and talk to, not even a close comparison in suffering and no sympathy for them. Was not an error, was a choice he made. You go to drink you stay there or have a planned way home, with the modern world of travel today that is not hard to do. Hopefully someone will get real justice when this idiot gets out of prison as well as to the person{s} responsible for giving him the drinks.
      Can’t imagine what the childs family is going through. UK please have something set up so we can donate at the game Saturday, also maybe a huge card BBN can sign and I am sure you will have a moment of silence before the game.

• catheaven
      5:25 pm September 18, 2018 Permalink

So true. Losing your baby so suddenly and tragically has ruined this family’s life. It is something they will never get over. Any my heart goes out to the 18 year old and his family also. College kids do stupid things, especially freshmen. He will have to live the rest of his life knowing what he did. That is not going to be a good life having to carry that around, for him or his family, forever. That’s not to say he shouldn’t be held accountable. But whatever that may be will be nothing compared to living with what he did. It’s a horrible horrible thing for everyone involved. My heart breaks for all of them. May God be with them all.

11. KYcats11
    9:51 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Terribly horrible news. Prayers.

12. kentuckyrld
    10:05 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

The death penalty would be an appropriate punishment, but nothing can bring back this precious child. The child and the family did nothing to deserve this.

• bluetide
      10:26 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

It wasn’t pre-meditated malicious murder…so no it’s not appropriate.

13. BluKudzu
    10:08 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

Not only should the driver be punished, but everyone involved with his drunken asz. The people that gave him alcohol, and the people that let him get in the car.
    If ATO was involved in this in any form, they should be banished from UK forever.
    No excuses, this is vehicular homicide. A 4 year old.
    Thoughts go out to the family of that child.
    What a horrible situation.

14. BBNJeffrey
    10:28 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

The 18 year old will be punished severely I Hope as he should. But I would like everyone to keep one thing in mind. If you have ever drank odds are you have put yourself in that situation. I feel sorry for that kid; I bet if he could, he would trade places with that little boy in a heart beat. Make no mistake, he should be punished for taking a life. But for people who have drank even moderately in their lives should think twice about judging that 18 year old. My prayers are for both families. My God somehow find them peace in this horrible mess

• bhb71
      10:54 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

I’m not disagreeing with your comment as a whole, but let’s be clear: drinking is not the same as drinking and driving. Again, not saying you’re wrong on anything else in your comment, but a college kid drinking is not the crime in question, and what he did is not something that could have happened to anyone.

• BBNJeffrey
      10:00 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

My nephew had a friend who was out with three buddies having a good time. They had been drinking and had a wreck, the boy 19 was driving at the time was charge for vehicle homicide. The person killed was his brother. The family lost both sons over kids doing what they shouldn’t do (drink and drive). Does anybody think that 19 year wanted to kill his brother, of course not. This is why you shouldn’t drink and drive because if you do; you could end up like this 18 year old boy.

• KKat1211
      1:52 pm September 18, 2018 Permalink

This is the Go Fund Me https://www.gofundme.com/vfyu7t-marco

• jsh2001
      6:21 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

bhb71, I believe the point is most all of us who have drank have at one point or another driven when we probably shouldn’t have. As a parent of 2 young children I can’t imagine the pain his family is going through, but calls for the death penalty are a little over the top. This was a tragic accident, an accident no doubt caused by a poor decision, but an accident none the less. It’s just a heartbreaking story all around.

• bhb71
      8:54 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I get his/her point, I’m just emphasizing that at least where I come from, the vast majority of people don’t drink and drive, and this kind of situation isn’t just some normal thing that could have happened to anyone. I agree that the death penalty calls are way over the top and show a fundamental misunderstanding of the point of the justice system, and I agree that we need to keep the 18 year old’s family in our thoughts. But the freshman himself made a poor, selfish decision and while I hope he finds peace as well, I personally can’t find it in me to have a ton of sympathy for him just yet.

15. unbridled
    10:31 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

May God be with the family. Far too terrible to express with words.

16. ClutchCargo
    10:38 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

This is truly a parent’s worst nightmare. Clearly the 18 year old did a stupid and careless thing, but I believe God has a plan for everyone, so maybe some kind of good thing can come from this down the road. Hard to imagine how, though.

17. SmileyPete
    10:38 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

One of Fayette County’s five District Court judges signed off on this guy being released on an administrative release without any bond. Shameful, especially when the judge knew full well that this DUI would be amended into a felony charge. Our judges need to be held publicly accountable for such short sited decisions.

18. bhb71
    10:40 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

I really hope they do a moment of silence for him before the game Saturday. If y’all find a GoFundMe link for the kid’s family/funeral expenses, please post it here.

19. Cincy Cayt
    11:24 pm September 17, 2018 Permalink

My thoughts and prayers go out to those close to that kiddo.

20. Natureboy42
    12:03 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

So sad for the boys family. Prayers going out to them.

21. carlzwa11
    1:01 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely heartbreaking for everyone involved. Two families whose lives will be changed forever. So sorry for parents who were just trying to expose their kids to something

I have a 3 yr old and 7 month old and I grab the hell out of their hands anywhere near the street or parking lot and you better believe that’s going to be double tight now. Such an awful tragedy

22. Urincatland
    3:43 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

So sad! Prayers!

23. Shively1978
    6:09 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Prayers for the family. I was at the game had a great time but after I heard this it just made me feel sick the rest of the night. Unfortunately this will keep happening in this country until the laws change. In a lot of other countries driving drunk is punishable by death and it dosent happen often. I don’t see why people have to drink at sporting events. If you want to drink stay home. Designated drivers are a crutch in this country. I think they should ban alcohol from all public events. It dosent bother them to ban smoking so it should be no different.

• UkChubbs
      9:15 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Lol the stadium would be empty. Plus this kid was 18 he not like he bought beer at the game.

• UkChubbs
      9:16 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Also show me a country besides Saudi Arabia where dui is punishable by death. I don’t think we want to follow the path of the great democracy that is SA.

24. henderblue
    6:59 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m with you Shively. So sad. Prayers for the family. They won’t ban alcohol, big money involved.

25. fredlexky
    7:48 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Prayers for both families. They both have lost their sons. One forever and one who must live with the terrible choice he made that cost a young child his life.

26. UkChubbs
    8:07 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

People saying this kid should get the death penalty are absolute lunatics.

• Peas and Carrots
      8:23 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

I’m not saying I agree but it’s a reasonable argument. He murdered a 4 year old child.

• UkChubbs
      9:13 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

It’s not a reasonable argument. It’s vehicular manslaughter with probably some kinds of aggravated dui added on. Probably 20 years he does 10. May not be fair but the death penalty here is outrageous.

27. KYjellyRoll
    8:09 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Many prayers.

28. BBNJeffrey
    9:10 am September 18, 2018 Permalink

Jsh2001 – that is exactly what I meant, thank you.

29. KKat1211