Former Wildcat on something called Fast N’ Loud last night

Chuck Aleksinas won a national championship at the University of Kentucky in 1978 and then transferred to UConn 13 games into his sophomore season in Lexington. He later went on to the NBA where he was drafted by the Bulls and traded to Golden State for a season, before finishing his career overseas.

Aleksinas reappeared to the world Monday night on an episode of Discovery’s Fast N’ Loud wearing a UK hat and mentioning his time at Kentucky, while failing to mention anything about Connecticut, his home state school where he averaged 12 points and six rebounds in two seasons. Here is a screenshot of his cameo:

aleksinas

I don’t know where I’m going with this or if Aleksinas’ appearance on the show matters at all, but a lot of you tweeted us about him last night so at least some of you find it interesting. Anyone know why he is repping UK over UConn? What did UConn do to him? And was his segment taped before the national championship game? What’s your favorite Chuck Aleksinas memory?

Another random note: I met Richard Rawlings, star of Fast N’ Loud and owner of Gas Monkey Garage, at a bar in Dallas on the Sunday before the national championship. I didn’t know who he was then and I’m still not sure I know exactly who he is now, but it’s the second time he’s popped up in the last three weeks. He bought drinks for a table of Cats fans that Sunday when he wasn’t posing with biker chicks by the bar.

Go Cats, I guess?

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Former Wildcat on something called Fast N’ Loud last night

1. Bert from Somerset
    11:28 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

He got taken on that deal, sold the two cars for FAR BELOW what they were worth, he got $70K. That said it’ll take several $100K in repairs to get their value out of them. The pair could sell for upwards of $1,000,000 when restored.

2. JDH
    11:41 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

I was 14 when UK won the championship in ’78. I vaguely remember Aleksinas. I believe he was around 6′-10″ or 6′-11″ and was highly touted coming out of high school. After he left Kentucky, I don’t think I ever saw him play again. He got a few minutes a game as a freshman mostly subbing for Mike Phillips. I wish he would have stayed all 4 years. He would have been a good one.

3. UK Fan
    11:46 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

Scouring the Internet for something like this, so we can point out he’s wearing a UK hat. No, we don’t have an inferiority complex.

• Sgt. Hulka
      12:20 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Lighten Up Francis

• Brandon
      12:21 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Not sure you know what an inferiority complex is.

• Hayley's quadriceps
      12:27 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

UK fans are a lot of things, but inferior is not one of them. Go back under your bridge Card fan.

• Hilltopper
      12:35 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Hayley, I beg to differ. Being the 3rd best football school in the State is, by definition, inferior.

• Bobbaloo
      12:39 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Oh no! We’re the third best football team in a basketball state! 😉

• Hilltopper
      2:24 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

…and in a Football conference, where they could care less about basketball. Congratulations!

• Hunter
      3:46 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Let me know when WKU is relevant in ANY sport.

4. Ryan
    11:46 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

What kind of cars did he sell?

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      2:28 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I usually watch that show, but missed it last night. I found an article on it. He had the first 2 prototypes of the 67 Firebird. They both needed a lot of work. Sold them for $65k. The Fast N Loud crew spent 60 days and $200k to restore both of them. They then sold them for $600k. Not a bad profit for a couple of months work.

5. jch67
    11:54 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

My favorite Chuck Aleksinas memory? Uhh, reading your post 30 seconds ago.

6. Mark Liptak
    11:54 am April 22, 2014 Permalink

I was at UK in 1978. Coach Hall always believed in size on the front line. Chuck was one of the big guys he brought in. Saw time behind Mike Phillips and Scott Courts. Had a good skill set. Transferred to try to get more playing time.

Hey once a Wildcat ALWAYS a Wildcat!

• Jim Hummeldorf
      12:17 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Mark…I remember you well from our day at SigEp house! I see you have made a life out of sports! Congrats!

• Jim Hummeldorf
      12:18 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

*days

7. All I remember about Chuck is that he had an unusual last name and that he and Scott Courts were supposed to take Robey & Phillips’ place as the twin towers and neither of them worked out.

8. Noel Gallagher
    12:13 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

The curse of Chuck Alensakis = 2011/2014 Final Four losses to UConn

9. Catfan in Houston
    12:24 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Fast N’ Loud is a good show if you are into cars or flipping. The crew has a bunch of goofy characters and makes money on both low end and high end cars. The Dragon Lady (their nickname for her) that does their upholstery is funny.

Richard is also known in the endurance race set. He drove from New York to LA in just under 32 hours.

10. Season Never Ends
    12:48 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Unfortunately Chuck wasn’t at UK long enough to be more than a footnote.

We can make some stuff up though. How about:

– Chuck tried to start the first Wave in college hoops. But he called it the Raise and it never caught on.
    – Chuck came back to UK after he transferred as the Wildcat.
    – Chuck held the record for longest dump at Wildcat Lodge before Shagari arrived.
    – Chuck went to bed hungry several times.

• somerset bill
      1:30 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

” Chuck came back to UK after he transferred as the Wildcat.”

yeah, the weird tall one.

11. SheedWallace'sGraySpot
    1:06 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Fast ‘n Loud is on Monday nights. Turn off the Bachelor and watch this instead. Get ya some points on your man-card renewed

12. Larry Taylor
    2:07 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Chuck transferred to UConn and if memory serves me correctly became an AP All American there.

13. DavidP19
    2:12 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

If I remember correctly, he averaged either 43 or 53 ppg as a HS senior.

14. timer
    5:01 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Chuck was a freshman on the ’78 team. He weighed about 285 and he had less than 4% body fat. Amazing for the day.

His best game was against Iona and Jeff Ruland. He outplayed Ruland while he was in the game and UK won by about 40.

15. I'm a Dealer for the People
    7:37 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

Oh yes i remember Chuck Aleksinas. I remember he use to cramp up just like Julius Randle.

16. Bill C
    7:46 pm April 22, 2014 Permalink

I was at UK when the Chucks (Aleksinas and Verderber) came in. The thing I most remember about Chuck A was that he was just a huge guy and he had the slowest hands and reaction I ever saw on a basketball court.