Former UK Hoops signee opens up about opening up her recruitment

Lindsey Corsaro, a former UK Hoops signee, was profiled in a recent story for espnW. In that story, we got a little bit of an idea as to why she decommitted from the Wildcats after two years on Matthew Mitchell’s commitment list for the 2016 class.

“Initially, they were making a culture change,” Corsaro said, “and girls who didn’t fall in line with that culture left.”

Corsaro said she and other players had built strong relationships with assistant coaches, and when they left, things turned.

Still, Corsaro said she was extremely “appreciative” when Mitchell let her out of her National Letter of Intent.

“He wants what’s best for me, and that shows the kind of person he is,” Corsaro said. “I believe he’s a great guy. It’s just been bad timing how everyone was leaving.” [espnW.com]

Corsaro, a McDonalds All-American, is down to seven new schools: Baylor, Indiana, Michigan, Texas, Tennessee, UCLA and Washington.

When she decommitted last month, her father said Kentucky would still be in the mix. That is no longer the case, unfortunately.

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Former UK Hoops signee opens up about opening up her recruitment

1. Jaybrown13
    10:49 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

So when was it exactly that assitant coaches became more important than the head coach? Seems very flaky of these girls, imo. But, that’s the millennials, right? “If it’s not all about me and what I want most, then I’m outta here!, Screw whoever that hurts, cuz it’s me, me, me”.

• neverendingscott
      11:07 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

Awfully selfish of you, sound like a millennial.

• inside info2
      11:11 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

That’s the way it is most of the time. The assistant coaches have recruit assignments and keep in contact with them on a day-to-day basis. The head coach only swoops in every once in awhile to show love and make an appearance. It’s the same way with the men’s team.

2. leon singleton
    11:01 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

Mitchell needs to be fired.

• DelrayCat
      11:42 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

Don’t worry…this will happen once the gals go something like 14-20 this year.

• Booby Petrino
      12:43 pm May 13, 2016 Permalink

Not yet. After all he has done for this program, he deserves a chance to turn things back around. Hardly anyone gave a crap about our women’s team until he got here. Now we’re selling out Memorial occasionally and putting over 10,000 in our Rupp games. We haven’t even had a bad season yet, and the players we have left are really good. True, there are only 7 of them so there’s a chance we could tank, but there’s also a chance we can still have a decent year (not as good as the most recent years but I don’t think we’ll see a huge drop-off like 14-20 would be). He’s hired some really great assistants this off season, and that can help recruiting in the future. How quickly you people turn on those you used to like.

3. Larry Pratt
    11:40 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

Losing Corsaro hurts. I think Mitchell will get things turned around, if he can manage to keep some kids and coaches more than one season.

4. Laker Cat 18
    2:35 pm May 13, 2016 Permalink

Coach Mitchell is the best we’re going to get for women’s basketball in Lexington. However, I will say this: He has underachieved the last couple of seasons. Even though no one is stopping UConn, I expected a serious run this year.