Football, Recruiting, Best Mexican Food in Lexington? (Tuesday Show Thread)

There are three very important topics to hit on today’s show: Kentucky v. South Carolina, basketball recruiting updates, and what is the best Mexican restaurant in Lexington?

I can’t believe the guys are discussing the latter without me today.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Football, Recruiting, Best Mexican Food in Lexington? (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. Booby Petrino
    10:08 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Best American styled Mexican restaurant in Lex is El Rancho Tapatio. Best real Mexican place – Tortilleria Y Taqueria Ramirez.

• Mathlete
      10:24 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

I’ve heard the same thing from multiple authorities on the subject (more specifically, some Mexican transplants I work with who love good food) – Taqueria Ramirez is the best in the city

• ky196
      10:28 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

I think your description says it all, “Best American styled Mexican restaurant”. That is not the real McCoy! A good authentic Mexican restaurant doesn’t have all the “American styled selections” on their menu. My wife’s father was spanish mexican. They would always make it a point that the American style Mexican restaurants use a lot of cheese where the real good places don’t water the authenticity down with all the cheese.

• Booby Petrino
      10:50 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

196 – I don’t think I’ve ever had cheese at Ramirez, so that’s good. Their burritos are amazing and no cheese is needed. I have nothing against the American styled places – I do love some queso dip and endless salsa, but I’ll take Ramirez over the others any day. I took some coworkers to Ramirez once and they left and went to a barbecue place bc some of the items on the menu grossed them out (tongue, for one). It’s hard to beat a place with who has an old Mexican lady hand making tortillas from scratch right in front of you!

• Realme
      11:02 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

BP is exactly right. Rancho is really good food. Ramirez is authentic. Can’t go wrong with either.

• “I don’t eat tongue because I don’t want to taste something that might be tasting me back!”
      -Bill Cosby

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

I ate at El Rancho Tapatio when I was in Lexington for the volleyball tournament Saturday night. It wasn’t bad, but for the “Americanized Mexican” I like Gustavo’s in Oldham County better. Maybe it’s just what I am used to. I got the fajita burrito with steak – yes, not very adventurous, but hard to mess that one up.

Highlight of the night was when the waiters came out singing happy birthday in Spanish and placed a sombrero on the head of my middle hitter. Her birthday is in November. My DS fibbed to the waiter just to get a free dessert for them all to split. Didn’t realize how shifty she is. 🙂

2. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Mad cow disease? Nooo
    Chitlins taco? Nooo.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:29 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

There was a restaurant in Birmingham called El Palacio; they had a delicious homemade hot sauce. They had a thing that if you ate the whole bowl, your party ate free; a friend ate it all so we had a free meal…then we took him to the hospital.

• Hopefully it was near the ER at UAB. lol

I like spicy food, but not the nuclear stuff. Tabasco hot, not habanero or ghost chili hot. That’s insane.

There is one very authentic Mexican restaurant here called La Coronilla that has a soup called Caldo de Res (basically a beef and veggie soup). A friend told me it’s great, but he had only had it in another state. So, I go in and order it. The owner, who is Mexican, said “I’ll bring you the white”. I said “Oh, is the red spicier?” He said yes (the white isn’t spicy at all apparently) and I said, “Bring me the red”. He did, and he said “Look out for those red peppers.” I took one bite and coughed. Yep, it was more than I bargained for! Haha! I toughed it out though and didn’t send it back because he warned me, and it was tolerable although hotter than I care for. It was excellent though! The beef broth was rich. Next time I’ll ask if he can bring me a bowl of half and half.

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

You should see the amount of hot sauce my husband puts on things. It’s insane.

4. ky196
    10:49 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Slow day?

5. My family is safe in Montgomery! It turned out to be not as bad as some feared. The wind was definitely puffing and blowing the rain sideways, but NOTHING like when Ivan and Opal came through here. I didn’t see any downed trees, or even limbs, in my neighborhood.

One of my sisters in middle GA said a neighbor had a tree hit their house. They’re okay, but they have a metal roof and she said it was LOUD!

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Glad you all are safe; the hurricane rain has hit Kentucky…reminds me of Elvis’ song.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Glad you and the family are okay.

• RG, also “Rainy Night in Georgia”. Most states probably have a song.

BTW, did you all see this one the video of the storm chaser who almost got blown away? I was going to link it but Youtube doesn’t seem to be working for me today.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:10 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Glad to know all are safe. We started with some light rain this AM and expect more as the storm circles back through central KY. Prayers to all who have been significantly affected.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

That’s a good song…Brook Benton had a terrific voice.

6. runningunnin.454
    11:07 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

It’s really chilly today, too. Maybe we can treat the Gators to a cold, cold night.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:12 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Best temps for late-summer/early-fall in my 24 years in the commonwealth…uh, I mean Kroger? Ha.

7. runningunnin.454
    11:13 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Somewhat ludicrous Coach K is taking credit for Lebron’s performance in the Olympics. I remember we were down 6-7 points against Spain with 4 to 5 minutes to go. Our other guys couldn’t throw it in the ocean, and Lebron accepted the challenge, and hit 5-6 threes to pull it out. Coaching had very little to do with that.

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. It sounded like Coach K’s strategy was to let LeBron be LeBron. Well duh! I could have done that.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Jim Carey was at his best in the original Ace Ventura movie. The scene where he comes out of the ass of the rhino was truly epic. He was also pretty funny at times in Liar Liar. Unfortunately, a lot of his stuff gets too over the top and becomes tiresome for me.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Most of his movies are basically just watching Jim Carey make crazy faces. That got old a long time ago for me.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:32 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Wasn’t Jim Carrey in “Liar, Liar”? A lawyer that couldn’t tell a lie…now that’s funny.
    “How was it for you”?
    “I’ve had better”….ha ha ha ha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Yep, mentioned it in my post above. One of my favorite JC movies.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Wouldn’t it be funny if someone cast the same spell on some of the UofL administration? Can you imagine Ramsey? Or better yet, Pitino? 😀

10. runningunnin.454
    11:39 am September 12, 2017 Permalink

Planting the flag was tacky and poor sportsmanship; if someone did that at UK, Matt would scream bloody murder.

• Mathlete
      3:09 pm September 12, 2017 Permalink

I loved it. Football needs more fun moments like that

• BigBlueBass
      5:56 pm September 12, 2017 Permalink

Nah… he would talk about UL somehow…..

11. BigBlueBass
    5:55 pm September 12, 2017 Permalink

El Toro gets my vote….. good stuff