Five-star prospect skipping college for G-League, which seems stupid

Five-star forward Darius Bazley was committed to Syracuse.

That is no longer the case.

Bazley announced today that he has decommitted from Syracuse and will forego college altogether, electing instead to go straight to the G-League. He will make somewhere in the neighborhood of $25,000 with whatever organization takes him.

The Cincinnati, Ohio native explained his decision to Yahoo, saying, “The G League will have the most to offer, considering that is the development league for the NBA. I will get more out of that than going overseas. The G League is the closest thing to the NBA. I see most guys now are spending time in the G League even after they went to school and the draft, so this gives me the chance to accelerate the process. There have been a lot of successful guys who have been brought up in the G League, and I’m confident that I will be one of them.”

Good luck to him though. I hope he likes road trips and three-star motels.

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Five-star prospect skipping college for G-League, which seems stupid

1. Jiminy Crickets
    6:07 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

If he wanted instruction and development, maybe he shouldn’t have committed to a school that only plays zone, and is a bubble team every year.

• Jiminy Crickets
      6:09 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

My real guess is his grades were awful, and he wouldn’t qualify anyway. So instead of saying he’s not Intelligent enough to go to college, he’s trying to make GLeague sound cool

• Rabbi Li
      6:18 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Jiminy Crickets – “Instead of saying he’s not intelligent enough”… he’s not intelligent enough to say it.

His actions speak loud & clear.

You could still learn at Syracuse… but at least this tells us Syracuse doesn’t pay more than $25,000 for recruits (anymore). I guess the microscope on Jim Boeheim’s forehead has gotten him to toe the line of compliance.

• makeitstop
      10:29 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

JC u nailed it. “U can’t fire me I quit”

2. Rabbi Li
    6:14 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Proof that these guys don’t need to get paid (more than academic scholarships) while in college, “If you’re worried this may spark a movement of five-star prospects picking the G-League over college, I wouldn’t worry too much because this seems like a pretty terrible decision. College provides invaluable instruction and development, plus personal branding and countless other benefits, while the G-League means riding on a bus between Fort Wayne and Des Moines.”

Nice work Drew!

• makeitstop
      10:35 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

I was about to agree that if he leaves for $25k there’s no number low enough to pay them to keep them in school. But then i thought – it’s one guy. And prolly couldn’t get the grades. Maybe $25k would be enough to pay a lot of bills for a lot of families and maybe just paying off the visa and getting a new hot water heater would be enough to keep 10 more guys in college each year. Maybe there’s a reasonable number – advance – no recourse draw, something that would make a difference. Thoughts?

3. runningunnin.454
    6:15 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

How is this possible when he’s 17 years old?

4. shepdog3720
    6:20 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

3 Star motels? I would doubt they are that nice…..

5. KYjellyRoll
    6:24 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

You only have to be a year removed from high school. Not necessarily a collegiate year

6. Smyrna_Cat
    6:36 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Interesting idea. I hope it works out well for him. And there is always the Lavar Ball league … snort.

• runningunnin.454
      6:39 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

I see that LiAngelo Ball has declared for the NBA draft…good luck with that.

7. jahanc2uky
    6:47 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Syracuse’s coach > all g league coaches. Most power 6 college coaches WAY better than g league coaches.

8. Catuary
    7:25 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

He has probably already signed with an agent and has some money advanced.

• Rabbi Li
      11:52 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

You mean like Corey Maggette got while he went ahead a played an entire season at Duke under Coach ‘K… What’s Calipari doing next”?

9. BlueDeuce
    7:27 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

G-league is a bruiser league too… man I hope he’s physically ready for that.

• CPACAT
      7:15 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

You may have hit upon the one reason this WILL NOT be a trend. The G League is full grown ass men (mid to late 20s) trying to prove themselves. Not sure most 17-18 years olds are physically ready for that battle on a daily basis. Knox, Richards, PJ, etc still aren’t.

10. CoachCat
    8:14 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

This will be a example of what not to do

11. jonthes
    10:00 pm March 29, 2018 Permalink

Boeheim or poverty on a bus? Kid made the right choice.

12. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    1:49 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Working Uber for 25 hours a week you’ll make better money. Might as well do that and hoop at the local YMCA.

13. BlueHeaven
    6:07 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

I live in Cincinnati and have seen him play multiple times and wonder if the 5 star rating was on a sliding scale. He had two teammates that I thought outperformed him in almost every game I went to. He never posted up though he had a clear height advantage and apparently thought the paint was wet because he never got in it. Maybe he figured he’d be on the bench at Cuse after about the 3rd game and figured at least this way he would be making some money.

14. garygmc1
    11:04 am March 30, 2018 Permalink

Personally, good riddance! For most of the “one and done” players college is a trade school like shop was in high school. Education is the furthest thing from their mind which is what college used to be about. Why is a “brand” important? At that age the only experience they want is a girls …

Give those scholarships to kids who really want one. One year of schooling for every year played seems reasonable to me!