Five-star prospect picks UW-Milwaukee over Duke

(Brian O’Mahoney/Pioneer Press/Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

Huge news in the basketball recruiting world this morning as five-star talent Patrick Baldwin picked Milwaukee over Duke. Yes, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee over the Blue Devils of Duke University. He’ll be a Panther.

Our nation’s top-ranked high school small forward and a top-five player in the incoming college basketball class, Baldwin had good reason to pick the Horizon League over the ACC’s blue blood program. His dad is Pat Baldwin, the head coach at Milwaukee since 2017.

Patrick told ESPN, “I walked in the room and said, ‘I have something to share with you. I want to play for you.’ He gave me a hug, started crying and left the room. My mom and dad left the decision up to me. They gave me insight during the process but left the decision up to me.”

Milwaukee hasn’t been to the tournament since 2014, but the addition of a projected top-10 pick should help. Meanwhile, Duke misses out on a star to pair with five-star power forward Paolo Banchero, a significant hit to Coach K’s roster in 2021-22. You hate to see it.

You can see Baldwin’s announcement below:

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Five-star prospect picks UW-Milwaukee over Duke

1. Newtype
    11:21 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

My favorite player next year. Non UK of course.

2. DaveT999
    11:26 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

You hate to see it for Duke.

3. dave1964
    11:42 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

Best news all week sure do hate it for puke and rat face.

4. BobbyBlue
    11:43 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

Dave—Only a “Fake Ky Fan”would be unhappy with the decision !

5. IndianaSucks
    11:45 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

This does seem to be the trend for top tier talent. Kids are realizing that they don’t need to go to high profile schools to make it to the NBA which is the ultimate goal for them. I’m not saying that a year at a blue blood program wouldn’t help them develop more playing against better talent everyday but it’s all about going pro. The NBA now drafts more on potential than anything and being televised on a regular basis doesn’t matter as much as it once did. I think that’s why it’s trending this way.

• BlueSteel
      11:57 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

Yeah – I’m sure it had NOTHING to do with the fact that his dad is the head coach… But OK.

• Soylentbeans
      4:59 pm May 12, 2021 Permalink

They weren’t saying that his dad being coach wasnt the deciding factor. More that the need to go to a power program for national exposure isnt there anymore. These kids get the national exposure in high school now and the nba can easily follow what they do in college now wherever they go. Calm down a bit there is no need to be a snarky smartass.

• IndianaSucks
      9:39 am May 13, 2021 Permalink

You realize that my comment was a general statement and not entirely just about this kid, right? Take some reading comprehension classes and then try again.

• TBW3011
      1:06 pm May 12, 2021 Permalink

They’ve always drafted on potential and projecting guys at the next level. That is nothing new.

• IndianaSucks
      9:41 am May 13, 2021 Permalink

TBW: true but they used to have more to go off of with guys staying 3 and 4 yrs in college playing against major D1 talent. Now it’s a year out of high school so drafting on potential is more real than ever is what I was saying.

6. BobbyBlue
    11:49 am May 12, 2021 Permalink

Rumors surfacing that St K is gonna retire after this and the very real possibility that Banchero is going G league.

• 4everUKBlue
      1:36 pm May 12, 2021 Permalink

Those two events would definitely be cause for celebration.

7. WILDCATS1968
    3:35 pm May 12, 2021 Permalink

But, But I thought only Cal was losing out on recruits ???? At least he has never lost UWM. Dad coach or no dad as coach.

8. RealCatsFan
    4:33 pm May 12, 2021 Permalink

Looks like losing their bag man has really hindered the dookies.

9. MississippiBlue
    4:55 pm May 12, 2021 Permalink

If Banchero ends up in the G League, overseas, or with Overtime I’d be overjoyed to watch Coach K and Duke struggle to throw together a winning roster last minute.