Five-Star Point Guard Receives UK Scholarship Offer for Christmas

Jon Lopez | Nike

Jon Lopez | Nike

The best gift Kennedy Chandler received this Christmas wasn’t wrapped under the tree.

The five-star point guard from Memphis announced late Wednesday night that he received a scholarship offer from the University of Kentucky.

A 6-1 junior from Memphis, 247 Sports ranks Chandler as the No. 2 point guard and No. 18 player overall in the 2021 recruiting class. He has offers from more than 25 schools, most recently North Carolina and Duke. Chandler has already taken visits to Tennessee, Memphis, Kansas, Ole Miss and Syracuse.

Chandler just picked up the UK offer, but it’s not the first time he’s heard from the coaching staff. He talked to USA Today in the summer of 2019 about an in-home visit with John Calipari.

“It was a great meeting,” Chandler said. “He just told me that he wanted to come see me and that he was focusing on the 2020 class right now but wanted me to know that he was going to keep up with me going forward. It’s Coach Cal, so that’s always a cool thing to hear.”

The scholarship offer from Kentucky comes on the heels of a few impressive performances at the City of Palms showcase in South Florida. Courtside Films was there to capture some of his best work.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

9 Comments for Five-Star Point Guard Receives UK Scholarship Offer for Christmas

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:22 am December 26, 2019 Permalink

It would be great to lure someone away right from under Penny’s nose.

2. BobbyBlue
    1:47 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

I just can’t imagine that he can escape Memphis,even if he wants to play somewhere else.
    IMO, just a waste of time and resources, just to be another hat on the table.
    I mean come on—how many of you are naive enough to believe $11,500 is the only perk the Wiseman family got ?

• 4everUKBlue
      2:11 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

Seems like the gamble paid off, yeah Wiseman wound up leaving but that’s probably all that will come of it because we know the NCAA won’t do jack.

• timbo
      2:38 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

1. Most of us don’t like it when people make broad statements about our team/coach based on a single situation that may seem murky only in hindsight (“What about Derek Rose…” or “What about Marcus Camby…” are examples). We should extend the same courtesy we expect.
      2. This young man is good friends with Banchero and has indicated he’d like to ply together. THAT’s (one more reason) why it’s not a waste of time or “another hat on the table”.

• 4everUKBlue
      4:10 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

Well Timbo, there has never been any direct connection between Cal and either situation unless you have some secret evidence you’ve got stored away with your JFK assassination files. I doubt you can say the same about duke and Memphis.

3. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    1:50 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

How many of you are naive enough to believe Wiseman was the only one that got “benefits” from someone connected to Memphis or Penny.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:11 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

Looks like he’s learning from K, only K will never be caught or punished for any of his violations.

4. Dustin Rumbaugh
    3:01 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

Yes please. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Reminds me of watching John Wall. It was like he was on fast forward and everyone else was on normal speed. This is Cal’s type of lead guard. Can’t shoot worth a lick I bet (from watching his shooting stance and release) but my goodness…who needs shooting when you can just Sonic the Hedgehog from coast to coast everytime. I’d welcome that style back with open arms. Recruiting “shooters” doesn’t seem to work with Cal. Get your athletes and they can learn to shoot on their own time.

5. BobbyBlue
    8:26 pm December 26, 2019 Permalink

Timbo— lets see if I have this correct7
    #1 I post only an opinion, but it differs from yours so I have to be wrong.
    #2 You read a supposed quote somewhere that this kid says he wants to play with another 5 star that has Ky interest and that automatically makes it so—- I mean how many of those come out every season and never materialize ?
    #3 You have already forgotten about Cunningham who contrary to the talking heads never intended to come to Ky but I bet you thought he would.