Five-star big man commits to… Western Kentucky?

Scout.com

Western Kentucky University just landed a commitment from its highest-ranked recruit in school history with a pledge from Mitchell Robinson out of Louisiana. A five-star center in the 2017 class, ranked No. 1 at his position, Robinson chose the Hilltoppers over an offer from LSU and interest from North Carolina. He had previously been committed to Texas A&M.

So how did this happen?

Rick Stansbury, WKU’s new head coach, recruited Robinson to A&M when Stansbury was on staff. When Stansbury left for Bowling Green, Robinson reopened his recruitment and gave Western a look.

It also helps that Stansbury hired Shammond Williams as an assistant. Williams is Robinson’s godfather.

So there ya go.

Big get for the Tops.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Five-star big man commits to… Western Kentucky?

1. deWildcat
    4:38 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I like it, smart hire and I hope WKU becomes a national powerhouse under Stansbury.

2. morristown wildcat
    4:42 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I just hope that Stansbury is being clean about his recruiting. At least he is not in the SEC any more.

• stratblend
      4:54 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I hope so too. He wasn’t always on the up and up at MSU. Knew some of the AAU crowd with which he kept company. Sketchy at best.

3. Sentient Third Eye
    4:42 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

With the Cards about to get the probation hammer in an epic way, Western could be poised to become the # 2 program in the state for the next half-decade or so.

• scorpiocard
      6:15 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

When the hammer falls, we are falling off the radar, Indiana-style.

• Adam From Awesome Trot
      6:58 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I’d prefer the real Western Kentucky University, Murray State.

4. gotops
    5:10 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

We’ve been the number two football program for the last several years already.

• Duuuuuude
      6:05 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Uhmm…… I wish I could agree, but UK is #3.

5. Bluegrass7914
    5:18 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Figured Rick would get players quickly

6. chicago_cat
    5:45 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Could give a shit about western. Hope stansbury puts them on probation

• OBKYbretheren
      8:21 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Could give a shit about you, or Chicago. Toolboy.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Western has a proud basketball tradition; I recall living in Western Kentucky in 1971; and, most of my friends were WKU fans; they really let me have it when WKU spanked UK by 24 in the NCAA regional final,
      In another NCAA regional final in 1966, WKU was poised to go to the final four; but were derailed by a phantom foul call on a jump ball against Michigan.
      I have been to basketball games in Diddle Arena; and, it is a terrific atmosphere.

7. Cousins Fake Tooth
    5:55 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

When are they going to ban “hiring X, someone commits to X” crap? Happens all the time to land recruits.

8. Wilfred Smith
    7:30 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Is someone going to do this kid a favor and explain to him the odds of developing into a NBA big man at Western?

• OBKYbretheren
      8:25 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Easy there cowboy, we don’t have the money UK does and last time I checked, Jeremy Evans won a dunk title a few years ago. Courtney Lee is still going strong too. Don’t let me remind you of the last 2 times we played yall in football either.

• scorpiocard
      9:14 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I wish we had a guy win the dank contest. That is the sign of an elite program right there.

• scorpiocard
      9:15 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

*dunk. The dank award goes to Chane and Kevin, for sure.

9. A_Blue_Wildcat
    11:10 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I CALLED IT. I absolutely called it. I said when Stansbury got hired at WKU that it wouldn’t surprise me if he got some big name recruits there, and literally less than a few months later he already has a commitment from a 5 star recruit and there’s rumor that Malik Newman (former top 15 recruit) might transfer to WKU. If he can recruit at Miss. St. and Texas A&M then it shouldn’t be surprising that he can recruit anywhere.

10. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:47 am June 30, 2016 Permalink

Ok, so Stansbury is out here giving $100k jobs to player’s relatives (or whatever), but Cal is the dirty one in college bball? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against Western getting a good player, I’m just mad that when clear evidence of situations like this are going on, why are morons like Clay Travis accusing Cal with zero evidence?