First responders climb Kroger Field stairs for 9/11 tribute

Image

@MayorGorton

Across the country, Americans take time each year to reflect and remember the thousands of people who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001. In Lexington, first responders and other community members gathered at Kroger Field to pay tribute to those who died 18 years ago in the terrorist attack.

This year’s participants honored those brave men and women by walking the stadium equivalent of 110 flights of stairs –  two full trips up and down each staircase from Gate 4 to Gate 9 inside the Wildcats’ stadium.

Lexington Mayor Linda Gorton was one of the community members in attendance.

Here’s a closer look at some of her photos from the event, as seen on her Twitter page.

Image Image Image

Everyone who organized or participated in this special event deserves a huge shoutout – what an inspiring way to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

6 Comments for First responders climb Kroger Field stairs for 9/11 tribute

1. Natureboy42
    12:37 am September 12, 2019 Permalink

Have watched some of the footage from when this happened. We should all remember that terrible day.

2. Ridge Runner
    5:29 am September 12, 2019 Permalink

Great for UK to honor 911 symbolically in this fashion.

• grammarpoliceUK
      12:28 pm September 12, 2019 Permalink

Ridge, I have been a firefighter nearly 40 years. In 2011, I took a class under a friend, John Norman. John is Chief of Special Operations for the FDNY. At lunch, he told me: “Lenny, it’s hard to bury your comrades as you well know.10 years ago, I buried 23 of my men in one day. I still wake up most days crying.” I still can’t imagine that horror.

3. bigcat18
    8:16 am September 12, 2019 Permalink

Dude cut that crap out

4. Matt10
    10:34 am September 12, 2019 Permalink

Now I see why people used to get burned at the stake or thrown in prison for daring to suggest the earth wasn’t flat or the center of the universe. Ignorant humans who can’t stand to have their beliefs questioned will fight like mad to protect themselves from being exposed to uncomfortable ideas.
    I never would’ve thought KSR would shadow ban! Yet from another house I don’t see my earlier comment. Matt Jones, I guess you’ll be a perfect fit if you run for the Senate.
    I have a challenge for any of you Neanderthals at KSR or the readers. Read Paul Craig Robert’s editorial from today and watch the perfect free fall demolition of building 7 from 9/11 (that other 47 story steel skyscraper that collapsed that day) and then try with a straight face to say you believe the official story.

• ColbyKiller
      12:05 pm September 12, 2019 Permalink

Did two planes not crash into the towers? Did one not crash into the pentagon? Did one not crash in a field? Did people not jump from those burning buildings? Did nearly 3,000 people not die that day? Please have some respect for what did happen and who was effected that day, however the circumstances unfolded. May god have mercy on their souls and be with those who lost loved ones that day. NEVER FORGET.