Evan Daniels picks Washington for Jaden McDaniels

(Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

(Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

Kentucky’s momentum with 2019 five-star forward Jaden McDaniels has officially swung the opposite direction.

This morning, recruiting guru Evan Daniels put in a Crystal Ball pick in favor of the Washington, giving the Huskies six consecutive predictions on 247 Sports.

Daniels joins recruiting insiders Jerry Meyer and Andrew Slater, among others, as those who feel McDaniels will stay home and play for Mike Hopkins at Washington next season.

With Daniels’ prediction, Washington now holds 50% of all Crystal Ball picks, followed by Kentucky at 29%, “Undecided” at 14%, and San Diego State at 7%.

Yesterday afternoon, Jerry Tipton and the Herald Leader caught up with Jalen McDaniels, Jaden’s brother, at the NBA Draft Combine about the big decision and what he knew about a potential timeline on when that might come.

Unfortunately, he seems just as confused as the rest of us.

“Whew, man, I’m wondering the same thing, honestly,” Jalen said Thursday when asked about when we should expect a decision. “I mean, honestly. I feel like it should be coming soon, though.”

Jalen knows it’s down to two schools, Washington and Kentucky, but he doesn’t know anything beyond that.

“To be honest, I don’t know what’s holding it up,” Jalen said. “I know it’s between two schools. He’s just trying to make the right decision.”

We still don’t have an update on a specific announcement date or time, but with picks now rolling in for the Huskies, it’s looking like he’ll be making it official sooner rather than later.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

45 Comments for Evan Daniels picks Washington for Jaden McDaniels

1. runningunnin.454
    2:21 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Hah, I said Washington several weeks ago; Mr. Daniels is a little slow, and he said UK just a few days ago. “Nothing like playing at home”.

• Big Sexy
      7:01 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Based on all of your intel and conversations with McDaniels and people close to him?

• runningunnin.454
      7:55 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Nope, based upon the above quote from a conversation that Jack Pilgrim had with him at the Jordan Classic. I understood that to be a direct quote from McDaniels. What does it sound like to you?
      Thanks for playing.

• Big Sexy
      8:06 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

What you are doing is basically like putting all your chips on red. If the roulette wheel lands on red you’re there saying, “I told you it would land on red. I KNEW it would”. If he comes to UK you’re going to look pretty foolish. If he doesn’t you made a lucky guess based on a single comment. You “know” nothing.

• runningunnin.454
      8:53 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Did you see “The Wizard of Oz”?
      “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home”.
      Of course he’s not going to Kansas, Dorothy.

2. Good Times
    2:27 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Have to really hope Blackshear doesn’t stay in the draft now.

3. VirginiaCat
    2:31 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Looks like yet another swing and a miss on a top recruit, but in McDaniels case, it might be for the best all around. It would have been a force fit at Kentucky. The key will be Blackshear. He would be a difference maker. If he stays in the draft, we will still be good, but probably not a championship contender. Similar to last year and the year before and the year before and the year before.

• Good Times
      2:34 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

With Blackshear we are one of the five best teams in the country with a real chance to win it. Without, I think we are in that top 10-15 range but would be a fringe team only to take home the championship.

• runningunnin.454
      2:42 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Blackshear has worked out with the Spurs, and, I think, the Lakers. I think his college days are over.

4. Racerr11
    2:36 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Another and another and another really good recruiting class for Cal. We were ranked #1 recruiting clasd prior to the end of this week and still listed as #2. We have some really goofy fans. I mean really goofy

• VirginiaCat
      3:08 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Racerr: Guess it depends on your definition of success. If the measure of success is good recruiting classes we are golden, but if the measure is a national championship, not so much. Cal needs the best of the best to win a title, otherwise, it is close but no cigar. My point is that Blackshear might be what we need to get over the hump, but without him, pretty much the same result since 2015.

• mashburnfan1
      3:25 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Goofy fans like those that feel a top recruiting class is success. You do know rankings are not always correct, really several are pretty far off. Yet with all these, as you call them, really good recruiting classes we watch our team lose to much less talented teams in the tourney. Losing to KState last year and this year to an Auburn team, we beat by 100 a month earlier, missing a top player. Would be easier to take if we lose to UNC, MSU, dUKe, UVA or other top teams but teams we lost to are not very good. All these recruiting classes just means we send more guys who not yet ready into the NBA because everyone tells them they are that good. Also really good recruiting class is subjective, these rankings are all subjective. I mean Morant was a no rated recruit with one offer while Richards was the #1 C in his class with all kinds of offers. Maybe Cal just did not develop Richards while the Murray coach really developed Morant.

• makeitstop
      3:59 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

First of all, we haven’t lost this kid to anyone, there’s no LOI in place and he can change his mind up until enrollment if all he’s doing is applying for aid. But Mash, really, u think it’s better to lose a recruit to a team we’re likely to face in the Elite 8 than one that may not even make the tourney, let alone the sweet 16? U can’t believe that’s in our interest. And VaCat, I’m not sure what u do for a living but in everything but dueling, finishing first or second is success, and that’s where our recruiting has been the last decade. So, Cal hasn’t lost a step he’s in the top 3 EVERY year. In terms of coaching, he’s got a better record of success: getting to the Elite 8 or Final Four than any coach in the country. It takes a special kind of crazy to say that being more successful than any of ur peer group in top 8 and top 4 finishes is “unsuccessful.” U guys must be real fun at cocktail parties, if u ever get invited out of ur Pity Palaces.

• 4everUKblue
      4:50 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Calling mashbumfan goofy would be too kind, he’s a straight up fool! Ignore this jackass!

• 4everUKblue
      4:52 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

And when the dust settled this season dUKe only went as far as UK because the refs ball hadn’t dropped yet, if they had K would’ve lost to UCF so STFU KFANBOY!

• RealCatsFan
      6:49 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Good lord, MashburnFan and VirginiaCat would have only been happy for about two stretches in the entire history of UK Basketball. Rupp’s run in the 50’s, and Pitino’s run in the late 90’s. Nothing else would be up to their “standards”. You guys must be really miserable. Go outside and breathe some fresh air!

• notFromhere
      7:06 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

No way that’s a fan. Looney is the word for it. Ridiculous reasoning, impossible expectations, and the inability to see anything except what they want to see is not being a fan.

• EastKY-BlueBlood
      7:58 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

VirginiaCat you like others need to pick another sport to follow! I don’t think you get the gist of college basketball! When you’re the winningest program in the history of the sport, and 8 national titles the 2nd most btw, is considered a hell-of of a whole lot,and the fact it took a 114 yrs to accomplish this, doesn’t bode well for ur overall happiness. Bc, when not winning the national title is this endless parade of your whole year of watching Kentucky basketball was a complete waste and utter disappointment, damn that’s rough!! I have some fairly easy news to break to you based on not an opinon, but by the actual numbers. LOL You are really going to be very disappointed and the months you put into watching, moaning, griping, complaining over the entire season is going to be just such a waste to you every single year!! Again…, 114 seasons and 8 national titles! LOL U do the math! Really if you look at it the way you do, there isn’t 1 good program in the history of college basketball! LMAO Every Coach has sucked, has underachieved, because who has brought in all these titles year after year besides John Wooden? Rupp won 5, but look how many years it took to do it, the same as Coach K basically. Which really all the yrs Wooden Coached, guess he really was a loser and failure much more than not!! That means they were just complete disappointments and losers for the biggest part of their careers! LMAO Now the reason you should watch college basketball, and root for a certain team, is because you actually understand college basketball, and you actually really understand the game of basketball!! If you do, then you will enjoy the entire season, right along with all the ups and downs, and the hope of maybe chasing a title. But when it doesn’t end in that, it isn’t just a complete disappointment and the time spent following a entire season was a waste of ur time, and how they suck! LOL I don’t see how you can ever find any enjoyment, like ever? Why do you watch it? Is it to hopefully be satisfied maybe 1-2 times in a lifetime? I have seen 3 national titles over my lifetime. That means being raised up and rooting for the Cats for as long as I can remember, I have evidently wasted a big part of my life because all but 3 seasons have been terrible!! LOL I mean look at you right now…Ur not having fun RIGHT NOW! ALREADY!!? Ur already griping and all Debbie downer abt it!! Lol That’ s just because who we may or may not get! LOL ? Which Idk why ur upset about it? Bc, that goes against your whole argument about recruiting classes doesn’t matter!It all still equals in failed Seasons! LOL So why even remark on a post about momentum swing against a potential recruit? If we were to land him, you would still say, it doesn’t matter if we got the number 1 class, show me how many titles that’s equated for us? LOL I say, how many not even top 5, and below classes has brought us titles? Got ur answer… VERY LITTLE over 114 seasons!! So were just a LOSING PROGRAM!! LOL So if we’re just going to lose anyway, why does it matter? ? Maybe try Cricket or something else, and IDK, but maybe there’s a higher winning percentage on chances of titles in that type of sport, I truly don’t know. LOL That or studying the history of the game and coming to grips and a better understanding of how you can actually watch it and how you can find enjoyment in it. Bc again, 8 titles in 114 yrs, AND AGAIN, that is a lot to all programs besides UCLA!! So, I’m not thinking it’s looking good for your happiness!! ? Now as the field has extended over the years, and you have to win six consecutive games in a row without a loss, Sgl elimination,and then entering in the random factors as well,that you can’t call BS on bc again, 114 yrs and 8 titles kind of speaks to that, and even more so with all the other programs win rate even far far worse, will and should, tell you that.

You’re the fan that is so boring bc you see so many of ur type.. It’s the same predictable and boring schtick! That is, they go to work or school the next day and can’t wait to gripe about what a bad job of Coaching was done, or how a certain player is trash, and blah blah blah! LOL Then if they do pull it off, and win it some way, they are on the front of the bandwagon Waving that Flag proud!!? But they get their biggest enjoyment out of it secretly, by going around like they hate the team, hate the coach, it’s all for nothing because we’re not going to win it anyways!! Lom But yet, through all the misery, they find time to spend commenting on fansite’s on weekday, weeknight’s, and never missing a game!!!! LOL Which, I really think you should be happy!! BC ur getting exactly what you actually want!! WAIT…, Now I get it!! College Basketball is perfect for this type of fan!! You know, the one that loves to gripe and moan, and it’s ALL a waste!! Bc this isn’t a guess, it is data that has been collected over many many seasons,and many many programs, and it shows that ur more than likely going to end in defeat!! Which actually now that I get it, is really what gets your mojo going!! That is a chance, AND A HIGHLY EDUCATED one at that, to go COMPLAIN about it MORE!! LOL Well, that’s not my cup of tea, but to each is own, my somewhat fellow “Cat Fan” (need hand air quotes) lol

Very interesting. Make for a very compelling pc..

• dcforuk
      8:25 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think I have ever seen a post that long!

• 4everUKblue
      1:17 pm May 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep the longest I’ve seen, don’t have time to read it but if he’s against VACat and Mashbum I’m all for him.

5. I guess we now know who owns the “AGSlater” account here in the comments. Haha. At least that’s what my sources tell me.

• notFromhere
      7:07 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Has to be, right? No one else could be this specifically stupid

6. Cats79
    3:01 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

With or without McDaniels does or doesn’t mean the cats can’t win no.9. People it takes luck to win it the way how the ball bounces and how the officials are calling the game.

• VirginiaCat
      3:11 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Yes, it does take luck to win the title, but there is an old saying that the harder you work, the luckier you get. Solid players and excellent coaching is still the key.

• makeitstop
      4:09 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Yes they are keys, which is why we’ve won more games, been to more Elite Eights and Final Fours than anyone else for a decade since Cal got here. Oh, and produced more NBA players, with more NBA salaries, and a better GPA. Success at creating student athletes who go on to success in their chosen field, don’t get in trouble and generally return for their degrees. Good kids, good grades, good results on and off the court and no embarrassment. That’s success where I came from, which is, u know, Kentucky.

• nocode96
      6:04 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Makeitstop just absolutely owned every troll and shltty “fan” on this website. Bravo sir or madam, there is no argument whatsoever against what you just stated. Thank you.

• 4everUKblue
      7:01 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Yep thank you Makeitstop.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am May 19, 2019 Permalink

There is also a saying that goes “I’d rather be lucky than good.”

7. VirginiaCat
    3:12 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

are*

8. Cats79
    3:24 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Duke had a all star studs still didn’t win it all. As matter of fact they struggle to get as far as they did. Just getting all 5 stars is proven fact doesn’t mean crap.

9. Rick_S
    3:36 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Had enough of JM…Might mean EJ & Nick will be back…

10. snoopjdawg
    3:50 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Wish the kid the best. You either want to come to UK or
    You don’t. Blackshear will be best served to play a year with us and become a late first or early 2nd round pick. Right now, he will not be drafted, but can sign with a team after draft.

11. dctawk
    4:53 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

He has already signed a NLI (“LOI”). http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/index.html . Per NCAA and collegiate rules. We just don’t know where.

• makeitstop
      7:59 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

No – the LOI binds the athlete and the school, u don’t need to sign one if u know the school will hold ur offer and u will qualify for aid anyway. Several guys hv some this to allow them more freedom. He’s just taking a financial aid package.

12. BCC
    5:15 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

I have never cared less whether a 5 star basketball recruit will choose UK or not. I’m much more interested if Justin Rogers will pick the Cats on Monday and as a life long die hard UK Basketball fan that is hard to admit.

13. jim tom
    5:18 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Don’t need him. Don’t care

14. dcforuk
    5:34 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Success isn’t recruiting. Success is consistently putting yourself in a position to succeed such as with 1 championship, 1 runner up, 2 additional FF appearances and 7 total elite 8 appearances in 10 years. Recruiting helps get you in that position obviously.

15. KYjellyRoll
    6:14 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

I hope we get him. All these “updates” aren’t updates because nothing’s changed. Anyhow, haven’t these experts been wrong before about UK targets? Anyone have any examples?

16. notFromhere
    7:12 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Skal was ranked where? Most of you probably know. Rankings mean sht.

If you are thinking “with him UK is ___, but without him they’re just ___,” how many decades until y’all “get your heads out of the oven” at each possible decision a high school player makes and after every game during a season? Jekyl and hyde sht has to end

17. VirginiaCat
    7:23 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Makeitstop: We all establish our own standards for success. You are happy with Cal and his time at Kentucky and who am I tell you otherwise? I look at it a little differently, that’s all. We can all cherry pick stats to serve our viewpoint. What isn’t acceptable are the personal attacks that are all too frequent. I learned long ago to to address comments on their merit and not sink to personal insults. There is no excuse to refer to “shitty” fans or call someone a “jackass” or “miserable” because you don’t agree with them. I am not singling you out personally, the “you” in this case is a collective reference. We are all Kentucky fans and we should keep that in mind before the mud slinging.

• makeitstop
      8:01 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Yea I don’t think u will see me personally attacking anyone.

• 4everUKblue
      1:20 pm May 19, 2019 Permalink

What would you call a duck other than a duck VACat? If someone’s comments are always that of a jackass then theyre a jackass.

18. dctawk
    7:59 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

I like flowers. There, I said it.

19. dcforuk
    8:50 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

Yes, we are on the same team and absolutely should refrain from profanity-laced personal insults that reveal more about the author than they do the person being attacked. Plus, if someone says something very foolish and you respond with profanity, it actually lets the person who spoke foolishness off the hook. Stay self-controlled, love the sinner and hate the sin. That’s why I love myself!

20. Smyrna_Cat
    10:43 pm May 18, 2019 Permalink

The only suprise for me is the number of KSR posts about this guy. And nothing has change for months other than people guessing and writting. I will leave it there before some say I am too negative on this subject. Snort.