diallo

In the latest edition of his The Sidelines podcast, which is very good by the way, Evan Daniels shared a little bit about what he expects on the Hamidou Diallo front this week as a decision looms.

Daniels said he thinks Kentucky is in the best position to land Diallo and bring the five-star guard to campus immediately; however, he does not expect Diallo to suit up this season:

Hamidou Diallo is strongly considering enrolling at a school here at the break and heading there. I do not believe that Hamidou Diallo will play in the second semester, but I do believe he will head to a college and get started and get working out with the team and hitting the weight room and just attempting to get better.

The options right now are Kentucky, Connecticut and Arizona. He has visited Connecticut and Kentucky; unsure if he is going to visit Arizona. If I were going to take a stab, take a guess at where I think Hamidou Diallo is going to end up, I would guess Kentucky. And like I said, I don’t expect him to play in the second semester. But I do think there is a decision coming from Hamidou Diallo very soon.

Listen to Evan’s podcast around the 49:40 mark for the Diallo talk and then sit back and wait for the news to break later today or tomorrow.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Evan Daniels likes UK’s chances with Diallo, but doesn’t expect him to play this year

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    2:31 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Come on down Hamidou…and start working on that jump shot!

2. Catsby80
    3:04 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I can’t be the only one who has a problem with this. For him to come to UK without even the intent to play for the university and use our facilities seems like a huge slap in the face. It’s one thing to come here and leave after a year for the NBA, but to not even contribute anything to the university seems absolutely ridiculous.

• runningunnin.454
      3:16 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Agree 100%, and we don’t need him; not unless he’s planning to play next year.

• kentuckycat15
      3:20 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

If he didn’t play the second semester he would be enrolling early to prepare for next season, not to go straight to the draft.

• runningunnin.454
      3:29 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Yes, declaring for the draft without exposure would be a mistake.

• Catsby80
      3:32 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

KYCAT15.. my understanding was that he was going to enter the draft this season… Obviously, if he’s enrolling early to get a jump start on the 2017-18 season at UK, then yeah that would be fantastic. My issue is if he enrolls at UK for the second semester then bolts for the draft in April.

3. UKFaninNY
    3:21 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I dont have a problem with this – He’ll be another great guy to go up against in practice

4. D0nc0smic
    3:27 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

If he doesn’t play this season, he will probably not enter the draft. If he wanted to enter the draft he would go to a place where he could start immediately and build some hype going into the draft.

5. Bigbluedomination
    3:27 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

We can only speculate at this point as to what he will do. Although I do agree with what you’re saying Catsby80, keep in mind the Mastermind that is Coach Cal:

1. It’s another way of Coach Cal’s promoting the KY Effect : 1/2 & done (btw, has there ever been a 1/2 & done?)

2. Keeps UK basketball in the news and media talking about this

3. Solidifies Coach Cal, yet again, as the King of Recruiting. As Cal would say, I get who I want, no matter how long another school has recruited the player.

4. For Cal, it has always been about players and family

5. Adds to an already impressive recruiting class

6. Might help bring other elite players to UK ( Bamba, Knox )

• runningunnin.454
      3:36 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Yes, Cal is a genius. They were talking today on the radio show about these being the “glory days” of UK basketball. It’s not debatable; when you look at that picture of former UK players currently in the NBA…..that is truly awesome. Twenty-one 1st round picks compared to 2nd place Duke with 11, I can’t imagine a 5 star going anywhere else.

6. EdC
    3:48 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

To me it doesn’t make a lot of sense to schlep from NY to UK if he isn’t going to play any college ball.

Yea, he would get to test himself against a bunch of guaranteed future pros but that really doesn’t seem like it would be worth it. I don’t see any way he would get up to speed with the system and the chemistry to play this season. The only real playing time is trying to get it from Wenyan or Derrick and that isn’t his position or his build really and he still has only played HS superstar level defense, i.e. not much. There just isn’t any reason Cal should risk current guard chemistry given the talent and effort levels he’s getting.

It does totally make sense if he believes he can get more out of enrolling early and playing for UK next season. He would almost be a veteran in UK terms.

7. Jiminy Crickets
    4:33 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

If he comes, practices and leave for NBA, does that hurt our scholarship numbers? If so, its not worth it. If not, why wouldn’t we want him here? If he doesn’t play, no foul, if he plays next year, he’s great.

Anyone know if he would hurt 2017s scholly availability if he comes in January, never plays and leaves for draft?

• a21CATSfan
      5:43 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

If he goes to the ’17 Draft it will not mess with scholarships for next season. He will not be on the team, so no scholarship to be used. We will have 7-8 available next season anyways, so if he stay we will still have 1 or 2 left. If Briscoe and Wenyen stay, which is looking like a possibility, Diallo may be the last piece we need.

8. Bigbluedomination
    4:34 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I think the belief is got to be that he would enroll now, practice with the team, get stronger, get a head start on understanding offensive & defensive schemes, then take over in the fall. That would seem the most logical scenario at this very moment.

Remember a while back where Coach Cal was implying that other teams were copying what he was doing relative to 1 & done and recruiting and that when teams copy you, he will come up with something new.

Maybe, this is Coach Cal’s new gig. Recruit players early and get them on campus a 1/2 semester early. Coach Cal is always one step ahead ! The guy is a genius !

• BBNBRIAN
      5:58 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Exactly what he did last year with Tai….. Tai never played a single minute, but got a head start on the next season. The dude gets gassed after two trips up and down the floor (this ain’t 3 on 3 lumberjack!) so it obviously didn’t help his conditioning… I’m waiting for Tai to have an “Isaac/Texas A&M” moment – minus the technical foul.

9. Bigbluedomination
    4:40 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I’m good either way, whether he stays for 1 & 1/2 years or 1/2 year. This brings excitement and exposure for the UK Brand. It’s good for recruiting and another player added to the UK NBA Wall. Having said that, please do stay for 1 & 1/2 year ! A backcourt of Green, Diallo, and Alexander with Vanderbilt, Washington, Richards, and Bamba (hopeful) would be sick.

10. KevinM
    4:45 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Saw Diallo with a quote in Dec about being the best of what he could be. That’s straight Cal-talk.

Would not surprise me in the least if he comes in, starts practicing and Cal says dress out just in case we need you. Then throw him out there in the last couple of weeks and SEC tournament to see if he can help in the tourney run.

UK always in the news cycle even when bringing in a guy this late.

• a21CATSfan
      5:51 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

I seen Trae Young say the same earlier this week. “Trying to be the best version of myself,” who’s that sound like? Giggitty goggitty CATS

11. ekywildcat
    5:37 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

If this kid is already old enough for the draft, you can bet he’s chomping at the bit to get to the NBA and start getting paid. I think he comes, practices and gets some playing time and if he does reasonably well, goes to the NBA with Cals blessing, like others said, great PR. Come to UK, we’ll get you there in one semester. I mean, I heard a rumor AD took the fifth most shots, how much time does Diallo need?

• BBNBRIAN
      6:02 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

He isn’t NBA ready. Scouts have watched him and told him to get stronger. If he is only staying one semester then he goes to UConn with hopes of raising his stock with immediate minutes. If he chooses UK , he will be around for next year.

12. RexRox
    6:30 pm January 4, 2017 Permalink

Relax, folks. As always, trust in Cal.

13. Luether
    1:03 am January 5, 2017 Permalink

Just more mind games and BS from Cal…