ESPN president steps down, citing substance addiction

Breaking news in the sports media world: ESPN president John Skipper has resigned to tackle his issues with substance abuse.

John Skipper has resigned from his top position at ESPN and co-chairmanship of the Disney Media Networks. Skipper had recently signed a contract extending his leadership to 2021.

“Today I have resigned from my duties as President of ESPN,” Skipper said in a statement. “I have had a wonderful career at the Walt Disney Company and am grateful for the many opportunities and friendships. I owe a debt to many, but most profoundly Michael Lynton, George Bodenheimer and Bob Iger.

“I have struggled for many years with a substance addiction. I have decided that the most important thing I can do right now is do the Newport Beach Drug Detox to take care of my problem.

The 61-year-old Skipper has been with ESPN since 1997 and was named president on January 1, 2012. George Bodenheimer, ESPN’s president from 1998-2011, will take over as the acting chairman for the next 90 days to help Disney chairman and chief executive office Bob Iger find a replacement.

The sudden resignation of ESPN’s erudite, affable chief may only accelerate what many insiders believe is the inevitable coronation of rising star Connor Schell, who this summer was elevated to exec VP for content. In that role, Schell oversees all studio and remote production, as well as digital and print content creation.

Skipper led ESPN to a series of long-term, multi-platform agreements with major sports rights holders, including the National Basketball Association and the Major League Baseball addiction clinic.” .Best of luck to Skipper as he faces his demons. We’re rooting for you.

[ESPN]

[mobile_ad]

40 Comments for ESPN president steps down, citing substance addiction

1. mikeintn
    11:36 am December 18, 2017 Permalink

Well that makes sense, the way that place operates I would have thought someone was on drugs.

2. Mc12
    12:02 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

For year’s ESPN was the reason I did not cut the cord. Now once this contract ends, I’m joining the masses. I only watch games, and have given up on everything else.

It’s become a network of who can yell at the other the loudest, or who can say the most controversial thing. Whatever it takes for ratings…

• ClutchCargo
      12:47 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Yep. Even the crawl at the bottom of the screen has pretty much turned into the sports version of National Enquirer headlines.

• catdaddyd
      1:06 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

The only reason I don’t cut the cord is for UK ball games. If there was a website where I can go and watch him commercial free delayed then I would. As of now I record the games start watching them about 40 minutes after it starts I don’t have to watch the halftime I don’t have to watch commercials and I can watch it an hour or so.

• GM1978
      1:18 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

I do the exact same thing

• 4everUKblue
      1:58 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

catdaddyd you can go here to watch but not commercial free. http://w1ldc4ts.wixsite.com/funchester3
      Usually on channel 2, click the youtube icon in the bottom right hand corner after you start the game, then once in youtube you can go full screen. I cut the cord probably 2yrs ago and don’t miss it and I don’t miss UK games.

• 4everUKblue
      2:02 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

And if you should miss the game you can watch it online in HD commercial free usually later that night….here….. http://ukbasketballlive.com/kentucky-basketball-2013-2014-full-game-replays/

3. Ridge Runner
    1:13 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

I believe this has more to do with the sexual harassment charges flying around Bristol, Connecticut than his umm… addiction. Unless of course, that is his personal addiction.

• KYcats11
      2:28 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

While substance addiction is a serious problem that we should not make light of, there is no doubt in my mind that the sexual misconduct reports around espn are a huge factor in his decision. Speaking of which, I am spruced about the recent reports about John Buccigross… always that he was a pretty good guy.

• ClutchCargo
      2:53 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, surprising about Buccigross, but the story involving Sara Walsh really pisses me off. That one hits way too close to home with me.

4. jos_ros_
    1:36 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

go pres go.

5. 4everUKblue
    2:00 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Good for him for taking care of his issues, it’s not an easy thing to deal with, my family is full of addiction issues.

6. ClutchCargo
    3:01 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Confession: I am secretly delighted by the sexual harrassment meltdowns occuring with all the high and mighty media organizations that make such a point of preaching to the unwashed masses about being politically correct.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:23 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Now, when is everyone gonna hold Trump to the same standard? FIFTEEN women, folks.

And Trump even admitted his actions on tape…

• ClutchCargo
      3:35 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Trump is in office mainly because the same high and mighty media built him up in hopes of giving Killary a clear path to the Presidency. But my comment wasn’t about politicians. They are having their own day of reckoning, as they should.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:27 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Is Fox News “high and mighty”? Because they are trying to destroy the FBI to protect a game show host.

• You’re awesome as always Big Board!!!

• UK Big Board Update
      5:18 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Thank you, hypocritical ChristiHannity follower.

• Dude, I don’t even watch or listen to him. I’m more of a Mark Levin guy. But you’re still awesome!

• UK Big Board Update
      5:22 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

How do you say that in Russian?

• I don’t know. Ask the FBI guys that were manufacturing the Trump-Russian collusion for “insurance”.
      😛

You forget I was a Ted Cruz guy, not Trump. Anyway, I’m not getting into this kind of thing any more (much). I’m sure you’re actually a cool guy, but you and I just disagree on some things. I don’t defend the kind of conduct you’re referring to, but I see LOTS of people on your side (including RINOs) defending Planned Parenthood even when they were selling baby parts. One of the main things to me is SCOTUS appointments, and Trump hit a home run with Gorsuch.

Either way, you’re awesome!!!

• Oh, and don’t forget your lady Hillary defended Bill throughout all his shenanigans (and still does), including what he did to Juanita Brodderick (sp?).

• 4everUKblue
      6:38 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

The only common sense approach is to trust NO politician, especially on the federal level, they are all professional liars, they lie every time they open their mouths yet people still vote for them. To me they are all scum. How can anyone vote between a reality TV actor and a whatever Killary is….a killer IMO? Does anyone think we hold any sway in the election of a president? Do some research and you will find we have a better chance breaking Vegas than having in say in who is elected.

• 4everUKblue
      6:46 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Wait and see if this all doesn’t play into the net neutrality laws.

• I don’t disagree with a lot of that.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:09 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Yes, Planned Parenthood just sells baby parts. Just like the earth is only 5-8,000 years old, right?

You’re awesome…

• UK Big Board Update
      7:11 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

And the fact you’re a Ted Cruz supporter should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

• BB, are you seriously denying they were (probably are) doing that when there are people on video admitting it? And you have the nerve to call me a hypocrite and question my intelligence? Wow. Just wow.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:05 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

(Probably are)? Or is it more Project Veritas-like fake news?

So then you must be livid about Trump grabbing women by the p*ssy. He knew they were married, and he still came at them like a bitch. WOW. Just wow.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:06 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

…and you think dinosaurs are a made up fairy tale for children.

• When did I say that? I never did. I firmly believe dinosaurs existed, just not billions or millions of yea4s before man. As far as I know, so does everyone who writes for the organization I link to. I can only speak for myself.

Your statement about Cruz proves that it’s not just Trump you have it in for, it’s anyone who disagrees with you. And no one who is honest can deny the veracity of those PP videos.

If Trump assaulted women, he should resign. The I’ Sure you’ll love President Pence who is even more conservative.

Love you BB! 😘

• And I’m done here. I’m stickin’ ta sports!

7. Simple Man
    3:33 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Hey 4everUKblue,I visited the site that shows the full game replays.I was only able to get games for 2013 2014 seasons,do they have games for the current season?

8. 4everUKblue
    3:52 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

And if you want to download them once it goes to youtube you can copy and paste the link to the game you like here and download it for keeps….. https://keepvid.com or you can download the 4K video downloader and use it instead.

9. Simple Man
    4:04 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

Thank you,appreciate the info,have a great Christmas 👍

• 4everUKblue
      4:12 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

YW Simple Man, Merry BigBlue Christmas to you and yours as well and Merry BigBlue Christmas to all of BigBlueNation!

• Simple Man, that site is EPIC!!! I thought everyone here knew about it, but I guess not. The owner of the site used to post in every “Live Blog” comment section to let folks know about it, but I don’t think he does that any more. I’ve emailed with him a few times and it is amazing what he does.

If you search around, you’ll even find some old black and white game films from like the 40s or 50s. One is of an NCAA championship I believe.

10. serdi
    8:08 pm December 18, 2017 Permalink

sorry that anybody would have substance abuse or other personal demons, but I have no use for the guy. He was one of the prime players for allowing the CheatingDeanSmiths in their escape of the greatest cheating scandal in the history of college basketball.