Enjoy these two fun stats about Duke’s title hopes

(Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports)

(Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports)

Many college basketball pundits and observers have already handed Duke this year’s title. The Blue Devils’ odds to win it all are all the way down to +165 (or 8/5), which is absurd, as folks act like this Duke team is the most unstoppable force in the history of basketball.

But if you’re like me and you enjoy any negativity surrounding Duke, I think you’re going to like this stat that is circulating around the internet today. From Paul Hembekides, a researcher for ESPN, for Duke to win it all, they’ll have to go against 50 years of history:

RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson have accounted for 52% of Duke points this season (1,128 of 2,161).

No team in the last 50 years has won the title when more than half of its scoring comes from 2 players. (@PaulHembo)

Another fun fact from Hembekides’ research for ESPN’s Get Up talk show: Duke is shooting 31 percent from outside this season and no team has ever won the title while shooting three-pointers that poorly.

Go history.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Enjoy these two fun stats about Duke’s title hopes

1. Bluebloodtoo
    11:33 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Kentucky certainly has enough bigs to dole out fouls on Duke, but we REALLY need Travis. Sure hope he’s good to go by mid March.

2. kyinsider
    11:37 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Duke has the talent but they are definitely flawed. Barrett can be selfish and Duke shoots 29% from three on the year. They capitalize on turnovers and offensive rebounding, take care of the call and crash the defensive glass is key in beating them. We play tough like we did with Tennessee and I think we could win.

3. Alex90
    11:41 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

A good coaching strategy beats Duke…You don’t need to take away both but you need to neutralize 1 of the 2.

4. KYjellyRoll
    11:57 am February 20, 2019 Permalink

Duke has a 3 man show with a decent point guard to boot. Lots of drop off when you sub anyone for those 3…duke loses

5. dballrb
    12:05 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Anyone recall when Navy with David Robinson played Kentucky?…D.R. went off for like 50pts or something, but we still beat them down..Well oiled machines beat the T1000 everytime.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      12:07 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Pistol Pete used to score in the 60’s and we still beat them if I’m not mistaken.

• JASUN74
      4:21 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes. I was there and everyone in Rupp was standing and clapping for him. It was awesome and he was unstoppable It’s funny though that some of the older people around us said that if we would’ve lost, we would’ve been throwing pop bottles at him. Hahahahaha. Nothing like Rupp Arena when we win!

• JASUN74
      4:25 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Not in Rupp he didn’t score 60 on us. Lol. I wish I would’ve gotten to see the pistol play every game. One of the best to ever lace them up and if he would’ve had the talent around him he would’ve won some hardware. He will be remembered for a thousand years if the game is still being played. WOW. Thats amazing I just wrote that but it’s true. Hell I will be forgotten a couple months after I’m gone. Lmao.

• CATandMONKEY
      3:32 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Heck, Pete scored 68 vs the Nets in the NBA.

6. RexRox
    12:16 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I actually like our chances against Duke if we meet them in tournament. More well-rounded team as well as the revenge factor. Something else that no one seems to talk about is that in conference play, the Cats are ranked #1 in 3-point defense. Teams are only making 32%. Everybody seemed to jump on the bandwagon that UK could not defend the three based on the non-conference games. Cats are a totally different team now.

• JASUN74
      4:28 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

100% totally agree with all of this brother. You’re right on man, we’re a different team now and it’s not even close. Our team today would beat the team from the beginning of the year by thirty or fourty points. Lol

7. RexRox
    12:18 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Plus Duke is 12th in the ACC shooting the three (30.5%) in conference play.

8. kenny
    12:24 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

What is UK 3pt % on the year?

• RexRox
      1:34 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

35.0% for the year

• RexRox
      2:04 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

National average is 34.4%.

9. BBNnCLE
    12:30 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If we meet them again I expect Cal to have a great plan for slowing Zion. PJ is on another level now and I expect him to be even better in March. This is why Cal wants Nick Richards to be so great. That’s the game we need him for. If he can come in and protect the rim, as well as EJ, while Tyler Keldon and Ashton take care of Cam, Tre and RJ and PJ and (fingers crossed) Reid handle the inside, then this game is the mismatch I thought it would be in November for Duke.

• JASUN74
      4:31 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes Sir. Couldn’t have said it any better. It’s really up to Nick. If he’ll just get fired up if we have to play team them we’ll be the better team. If not, I still like our chances. We’re ready to play anyone right now and this time of year Cal has them ready to rock and roll!

10. Alex90
    3:37 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If they play again I would expect a mix up of different zones and force them to beat you with 3s

11. ballplayerstu
    4:13 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I want us to play Puke for the Natty!! Go Cats!!!

12. Matt10
    4:52 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Drew, this article made my day. Great find on those stats. I’ll raise my glass to them holding true again this year!

13. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    10:53 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Don’t forget almost every time Duke is the huge favorite they usually get taken out pretty quickly by some underdog. Coach K can’t get his teams to not overlook people.

14. Swizzle