Elam insists the postponement didn’t hurt UK’s chances

Matt Elam let a ton of Kentucky football fans down on Saturday when he rescheduled his pending announcement, expected to be a commitment to the University of Kentucky. The unforeseen cancelation left us wondering what happened in San Antonio that caused him to change his mind and hold off before going final with his decision.

Did Alabama make a big move? Does it hurt UK chances? He says no.

On Twitter this morning Elam told us UK is in the same position as it was week ago; he just didn’t like the setup at the Army All-American Bowl:

So the setup was weird at the Army All-American Bowl, whatever that means, but the likelihood he ends up at UK remains the same. He also told us yesterday he is not 100% on where he wants to go.

And in related news, following recruiting is really, really frustrating.

Article written by Drew Franklin

78 Comments for Elam insists the postponement didn’t hurt UK’s chances

1. pk
    11:19 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

dude loves capitalization

2. CatsBBN
    11:21 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

I personally would rather him wait and not pick us than him pick us and switch the week of signing day. Not saying I hope he doesnt pick us at all. Hopefully we still get him. Im saying I would rather him be sure and know where he wants to play. Would love to have Elam in UK blue.

3. FrankTheTank
    11:27 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Am I the only one that realizes this dude is an Attention Whore!!???

• David
      11:41 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Nope, I agree with you. He seems to love the attention and he sure loves twitter, sounds off every chance he gets

• Kristen Geil's Abs
      12:14 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

^ Card fans.

• Rockfield, KY
      1:04 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

He is a kid trying to figure out a life changing decisions. Leave him alone and get a hobby. You shouldn’t be so heavily invested in a college sports program that you resort to calling kids names when you get butt hurt.

• Big UK Fan
      1:10 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Yup, couldn’t agree more. The guy better perform if he comes to UK; he certainly has made a show of his recruitment.

4. stevem
    11:30 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Dude should just keep quiet until he announces his decision. He is an attention whore for sure. Can’t believe he doesn’t know where he wants to go. Just announce and be done with it.

• j
      3:15 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

the kids about to make the biggest decision of his life you probably never had the chance to play college sports or even went to a major college

5. the realest
    11:30 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

me me me recruit just like the basketball guys

6. The Loco Pollo
    11:32 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Do what you gotta do, big fella. We all still hope you choose blue.

7. trey
    11:35 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Look at James Quick tweets about tranferring. Dude wants to get out.

• ???
      11:52 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Either they’re deleted or I overlooked what you’re talking about.

• trey
      11:58 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

google image search “charlie strong hate tweets”. its the first pic

• trey
      11:59 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

nevermind. on second look it may be from before he commited there.

• trey
      12:01 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

But it still could be something to look into since he went there for Strong.

8. DCCat
    11:37 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Maybe he’s prefer to announce at home in front of a gym full of UK fans. The announcements at that game were kind of flat.

9. hawkeye tim
    11:43 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Mr. Elam–

You are too big to call Matt. Take your time. Do what is right for YOU. I hope it is UK (insert list of reasons why UK is right choice).

Hawkeye Tim
    (Coach Stoops and I went to University of Iowa at same time. We hung out on Saturdays a lot. He was on the field and I was in the stands so we didn’t talk much.)

10. Musehobo
    11:43 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Gotta love our fans. Dude postpones what will be one of the biggest decisions of his life and we call him an “attention whore” in mass quantities. We are more than happy to accept any basketball players to come to UK for the attention they get on campus. But as soon as someone lets us down at all we are very happy to throw out derogatory terms behind the safety of our keyboards.

If he commits to us later, the same people will be talking about how awesome he and our recruiting class is. Do us all a favor and stop acting like children.

• Jessdogky
      11:48 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

THIS. Exactly.

• Jeff
      11:52 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Also, Matt reads these comments (see the twitter exchange between he and Matt Jones yesterday). Everyone needs to be careful with the bashing.

• CatsBBN
      11:56 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Yup. This is exactly right. So many fair weather fans its unbelievable sometimes. People who claim to be fans but just put recruits and players down. True fans want to see whats best for these kids and want them to get better when they are here. To bad you cant ban those fans from sites like this.

• L1C5
      12:23 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

A lot of people posting on this site are TARD fans trying to manipulate in any way possible to corrupt #BBN. I wish Matt Jones would moderate more closely.

Unless you have had a kid or you have gone through the recruiting process you have NO idea THE STRESS it puts on a kid.

I hope the kid makes the right choice for him, NOT his mother, HS coaches or friends. He has to feel like the school of his choice is HOME. Once he finds that place he will know he made the right choice.

• James
      12:57 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I don’t care if Elam reads this cause i do not want his fat lazy ass here I hope this dumb fat ass kid goes somewhere else.

• Beavis
      1:05 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

James,,,,I am sure Elam would just love for you to say that to his face,,,,,while you still had one . Give it a break. LOL

• Jughead
      2:32 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Yes, we all should be kind and respectful in a neutered American male society. Then, let’s all go to a gay privileges rally.

11. A
    11:44 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Elam loves attention all about HIM
    Matt jones adds more fuel to fire

12. just saying
    11:47 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

He’s right the set-up was “wierd”. Meaning having Barker standing behind you when you say “Alabama” would be really “wierd”

• Kev
      11:55 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

“wierd” that you spelled “weird” in a “wierd” way

13. klassact32
    11:51 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Seems to me this kid wants to know 100% where he wants to go. I have news for him, he will never be 100% certain on this decision. There will always be “what if’s” no matter what he does. I for one really don’t care for all this follow the recruit stuff. I get excited when they get on campus. I wish him well no matter where he goes.

14. me
    11:53 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Funny, none of the STAR players that actually committed to schools during the game seemed to have issue with the “set up.”

15. B-Lord
    11:55 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

OF COURSE, he likes the attention! Remember what is was like to be a 17 or 18-year-old?? None of us had got exposure anything like this. We would have been eating it up just the same. Give the kid a break. Let him have his fun and just hope he picks the Cats in the end.

• Dave in Marshall islands
      12:22 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I would have to disagree with you to some extent. Most kids have declared and the ones who set dates declared in what ever forum they said they would. Elam is the only one I know of right now that likes stoking the fires and being in the lime light, Barker has been quoted saying he wants to keep people guessing. Seems to me he is a 370lb immature 18 year old.

I am guessing he knows what school he wants to go to but is scared of letting people down. My advice is pick one way or another the world will continue to rotate, it does not revolve around you Matt.

Pick Alabama or Kentucky we just want you to get it over, I do not know anyone that has or is going to issue a fatwa on you.

16. Kittyfan
    11:55 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

He didn’t let anybody down. HE DIDN’T LET ANYBODY DOWN!!! Ie is a kid, albeit a big kid. Don’t rush him. I personally like this style better that “opening up recruitment” after committing. Sometimes that happens, but he is trying not to do that. Admirable!

17. Charlie Waite
    11:58 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

I appreciate him trying to console us, but this definitely hurts UK’s chances. It is what it is though… This is a huge decision for the kid, and he has to do what is best for him. Hopefully he still chooses UK.

18. me
    11:59 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Can’t wait for his excuses why he has bad games… “I like playing in stadiums that are on a north – south axis, Commonwealth being on an east – west axis just doesn’t suit my game.”

19. Bald Guy
    11:59 am January 6, 2014 Permalink

Our fanbase is the most spoiled in the country… has to be. Elam postponing his decision, regardless of the reasoning behind the measure, to choose between us (UK Football, joke of the SEC) and Alabama (The UK basketball version of us) is unbelievable. This kid’s talent needs to be celebrated because he is from KY not because he chooses to play for KY. If he does end up a CAT then obviously the tide has changed but that doesn’t mean that our fans can have the sense of entitlement that these turdinals up the road have.

• Wayne
      5:03 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Bama Football is the UK Basketball version times 2 or 3. They’ve won more championships over the last few years and Saban is the best all-around coach in his sport, whereas Cal is one of the top coaches in his sport, but probably isn’t considered to be the BEST all-around coach in college basketball.

20. Hope
    12:01 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I really hope that when these guys (recruits) read these comments (and yes they really do, look at Elam’s twitter) that they understand anyone can create a name and type whatever they like. Meaning they might not be a UK fan at all, just trying to get UK fans to look bad.

They are 18 year old kids. Yes they care what people are saying, no matter what.

21. Boogie
    12:05 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

If I had a choice between a dynasty in Alabama or a program struggling to find its place, I wouldn’t be quick to pull the trigger either. You guys need to understand the difficulty in this decision. Elam, take your time. No NFL scout will evaluate you on your college team.

22. DoubleKnuckleShuffle
    12:21 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Matt seems like a great kid that has about as much growing up to do as any other 17 yr old. Make no mistake about it, he is LOVING the attention. He didn’t make the announcement because he doesn’t want the “recruitment” to end. I’m not a Card fan so don’t call me that. But I don’t have my head up my arse like some of you butt kissing morons. Coach Stoops is bringin sexy back with or without this dude. He would be wise to get on board and be apart of something special.

• Dave in Marshall islands
      12:29 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Like what you said and agree. I would just like to add the old saying to Matt that my grandfather would say to those who can’t think fast on their feet. ‘ Shit or get off the pot” make your decision everything will be fine tomorrow

23. Reality
    12:31 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Either one or two things, very immature (can’t make decision), or he wants more $$$ from someone.

• Baby Huey
      12:32 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Does he have a pacificer in this mouth?

• UK Danny
      12:34 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

If wants more $$$, then pay him.

24. Matt Elam
    12:33 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Yeah but did he watch the Bachelor last night? Thats what I want to know!

25. Zap it
    12:39 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

This is what happens you ya live in a microwave society (sorry had to do it haha), fans want the info now. We want the commit now — actually two days ago. But you get my point, the best things happen to those who wait. I not hating on Matt waiting, he seems like a good kid, likable by his teammates from what I saw at the AA game. Think about how exciting NSD will be now with the anticipation?

26. NCAA
    12:40 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Hey DREW FRANKLIN. When is Marcelys Jones flipping to UK?

• bluegrassstu
      2:09 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

That was just never going to happen. Marcelys was a Buckeye since xmas day 2012. Some of these so called recruiting experts here have no clue.

27. Wild Blue
    12:45 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I agree with Mr. Elam. That set up was terrible and even mentioned it to my wife. The players had no time to thank those that supported them and they seemed to be rushed by the TV people to just name a college.

• U.S. Army
      12:51 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Thanks Wild Blue for throwing the U.S. Army under the bus.

• Patriot
      12:53 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Wild Blue, how is this the Army’s fault?

• Red Cycle
      12:54 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Commie.

• Vet
      12:57 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Wow, now it is the Army’s fault for him not committing. Who is next, Little Red Riding Hood?

28. UK Danny
    12:59 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

If the Army is at fault, then it is what it is. I want him at UK.

29. UKBIRD
    1:02 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Well I wish him the best on whoever he chooses. Some CAT fans need to chill out.

30. Beavis
    1:10 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Yep,,agree UKBIRD. Some of these fans call him childish and immature while posting some of the most childish and immature comments imaginable. Have a hard time understanding their comments unless they are fans of another institution.

31. Confused too!
    1:11 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

It was weird. Anyone could see the recruits were having a difficult time knowing when to speak or not. The TV people kept switching back and forth so it was bad. As far as Army goes, Army spent a lot of money for the Ad time and a good set up would have made everything look more professional for them.

• Confused too!
      1:39 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

It should be called the US Confused too!! Bowl

32. ContinentalBreakfast
    1:11 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I believe in this situation you have to list out the positive and negatives at each program, while identifying the goals you wish to accomplish over the next 4 years. Pick the program, university, and community that will cater to these needs. Then arrival of campus with an attitude to be a student, ‘team’ first player, and work as hard as possible. Life is about making good and bad decisions. The key to success is the adversity you discover along the way and how it enlightens your journey! Remember, overthinking will cause stress and anxiety in your life.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

33. jaws2
    1:16 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I still think he needs some pads that fit. His side deltoids will get destroyed in the SEC with those pads.

34. tim
    1:23 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Elam is an attention hound for sure. it is a tough desion and his future is NOT at stake. IF MATT ELAM IS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE A PRO NFL PLAYER HE CAN MAKE IT AT KENTUCKY OR ALABAMA. IF YOUR GOOD ENOUGH THE NFL SCOUTS WILL FIND YOU . HE AND MATT JONES LOVES THE ATTENTION. I WOULD NOT POST ANYMORE POSTS ABOUT HIM. GIVE HIM HIS SPACE AND LETS MOVE ON WITH THE PLAYERS THAT WANT TO BE AT UK

• STOP
      1:36 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

STOP SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. L1C5
    1:31 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Idk about the setup being weird but here is something I thought was dumb about it: When that Mixon kid committed to Oklahoma, he didn’t even mention their bowl win over Bama. But after he commited, the people w the mics were all “did the bowl win over Bama help seal your decision?” He answered by saying it helped, but he didn’t make it seem like it was a huge factor. But after that, all you heard from the commentators were “Bowl games are so important, you heard from Joe Mixon saying that Oklahoma’s bowl win over Bama pushed him into making his decision” They went on and on several times about how the bowl game clearly made him commit to Ok. Bunch of bs.

36. tyrus
    1:36 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

jaws2, funny!

37. Carmine
    1:40 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Drew put it best the recruiting process is annoying!! For fans players and coaches!! Its just a month we can wait.. Its worth it to get a 5 star player!!!

38. Carmine
    1:44 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Oh and BTW if u read this site Matt, Most of the haters are Uof L fans posing as UK fans..I think the vast majority of UK fans still really want Elam to come here.. Though it is true im sure they are a little frustrated with the process ..

• David Austin
      4:40 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Actually can not speak for all negative comments, but I am a Kentucky fan, a season football holder at commonwealth stadium 4 seats, people have their opinions and wish to express them even though you do not agree with them and accuse them of being dirty cardinal fans. I happen to be one that thinks Matt Elam needs to make his decision one way or another, Kentucky or Alabama. He in my opinion is not doing the coach or the players in 2014 any favors prolonging his decision.
      90% of these so called kids have been able to make up their minds, maybe he needs to his family and ask for unbiased advice.

39. Beavis
    1:55 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Anyone that thinks this young man can’t play in the SEC has crap for brains. Saban does not make recruiting trips for scout team players.

40. Andy
    2:28 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Kids these days want everything perfect? I didn’t see the other top recruits whine this much when they announced. Matt not everything will be perfect. Learn to deal with it because the other kids who ranked higher than you did so without a peep.

41. Jughead
    2:33 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Do you think he gets lotsa hot chicks?

42. bige
    2:33 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

He has a lot of work to do…he’s not a project but he is not going to dominate or even contribute much next year due to his lower body and lack of flexibility in his hips.
    A natural bull but it takes a lot more than that in the SEC.

43. $1.75 Tacos?
    3:43 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Matt Elam seems like a nice guy when I have heard him on the radio. If he wants to play at UK or Bama, most people can deal with it. But Matt, when you make people think that you are playing with them(UK fans or any fans), some people will challenge you to see what is real from you. I am sure that you realize that you must get in a lot better shape before you can make a impact in college for anybody.
    One thing you may keep in mind is Bama will give you a shorter window to show that you can play before they look to recruit over you with more all-americans next year, and the years after that. UK, with you being a in-state guy, will give you every chance they can to make you a success.

44. SocialMedia_is_Evil
    3:56 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Just got off a conference call with Wozniak, Cerf, and Berners-Lee. Following an intense Ouija session with Jobs and Postel, it was concluded the nadir of the internet may very well have occurred when vast numbers of sports writers and football recruits learned about “Twitter”.

45. Blue Monday
    4:47 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Just got information that Elam is thinking of taking his talents with Charlie Strong to Texas. A unreliable source says that Kentucky and Alabama are going on probation so Elam will join Charlie and those cow lovers in Texas. You can hold me to this comment because I am 100% sure it is not true.

Elam can go wherever he wishes because I am sick of hearing his name.

46. UKFan
    5:05 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Of course he likes the attention. Who wouldn’t? I don’t blame him for that one bit. It’s nice to be wanted The fact is he is a good player and this is an extremely tough decision for anyone to make and the outside influences he has to constantly deal with only makes the decision harder. The idea of coming to UK and being a hero for his home state and leaving a legacy of his own for others to measure themselves on is very enticing, but also going to a program that is always in the hunt for a national title is also an intriguing proposition. I hope he chooses UK and ultimately think he will, but the fact is he has to look after himself and his family and do what is best for him. I would rather him wait on a commitment and be all in than commit to early and then flip and leave all of the BBN deflated. He is a great player and I believe being very mature about his decision making.

47. Jughead
    5:22 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Rearrange his last name to spell “meal.”

48. kelleydog
    6:35 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I now truly hope you get this kid, he’s confirmed everything I’ve seen on the field. It’s all about me…… And, he isn’t all that great – more talk than action. Good luck with Elam, what a turd.