EJ Montgomery talks about Kentucky visit

Photo by Kelly Kline/Getty Images

It’s been almost a week since five-star big man EJ Montgomery visited Kentucky and with his high school career now over, he’s ready to talk about his impressions of the program and Lexington. Montgomery told Evan Daniels he enjoyed his visit for the Missouri game, particularly the way John Calipari and his staff use and develop big men.

“I like the way they get up and down and they play big,” Montgomery said. “Just the way coach Cal runs their stuff.”

“Just what they’ve done with their bigs,” he added. “Their bigs have done well in the league and they’ve developed them and the relationship I have with the coaches.”

Montgomery had 30 points and 15 rebounds in Marietta Wheeler’s loss to Newton last night, his final high school game. The 6’10” power forward is the top big man left in the 2018 class and is considering Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Clemson and others.

Montgomery will participate in the McDonald’s All-American Game on March 28 along with a bevy of Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina signees. He’s also planning to take more visits — including official visits — before deciding. I expect that process will also include seeing which players go to the NBA and which stay, i.e. Jarred Vanderbilt and Nick Richards.

[247 Sports]

[mobile_ad]

21 Comments for EJ Montgomery talks about Kentucky visit

1. Rick_S
    1:50 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Why would he worry about Vanderbilt or Richards? Vandy will play PF and he’s much better than Nick

• BlakeBlueNation
      2:02 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

They will have a whole offseason to improve. If they stay both will be better than EJ when he first starts.

2. Daddyof3Ballers
    1:58 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Sounds to me like he’s just throwing blue blood names out there. He didn’t seem impressed but tht means he won’t be impressed anywhere. Duke and NC will have all the bigs they need. My guess-Vandy, And PJ both go to the draft and we get Montgomery

• Bobbum Man
      2:02 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

I like PJ and all…. but what is he gonna do in the nba? No way he’s ready

3. Brutal Hustler
    2:20 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

EJ would be awesome, but I REALLY want to see Year 2 Vando. Based on his current stats and his estimated progression, Year 2 Vando should average 14 pts, 7 asts, and 58 rebs per game.

4. chrisg18
    2:44 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Why are we still talking about Nick Richards going to the NBA? Kid can’t even get on the floor for 10+ minutes anymore. Vanderbilt is the question mark for me. He is an elite rebounder, but a very mediocre scorer. Is that a hugely needed skill in today’s NBA? I’m not sure. It is a scorer’s league. Seems like he could do a lot to improve his NBA future by developing some offense. We shouldn’t even be talking about any of our other bigs going to the NBA.

• Bobbum Man
      2:51 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

Yeah I selfishly hate to see Vandy playing so well cause every good game he has is a step closer to him being gone. Would love to see him back for another season he’s a special player

• Bobbum Man
      2:52 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

But to ur point I don’t see Richards or PJ going anywhere so we could end up with a logjam next year

• chrisg18
      3:11 pm March 1, 2018 Permalink

I wouldn’t blame him for going. He’s a first round draft pick. I think the only question is if he thinks he can really develop his offensive game over the next year. If he became a scoring threat, he’s a top 5-10 pick easy. Guys who can’t score have varied success in the NBA, so it would be risky to go, but if he thinks he’s just going to be the same player a year from now, then his stock will never be higher than it is this year. Some guys just are who they are, and don’t really develop that offensive game. Look at MKG.