Eddy Raven’s Friday Morning Wakeup

This morning we’re celebrating the music career of one Eddy Futch, known professionally to the country music world as Eddy Raven.

Raven had six No. 1 hits in his day, beginning with the timeless “I Got Mexico” back in 1984. Sing along with me! You know the words!

Raven followed that up with five more No. 1 hits from 1987-89: “Shine, Shine, Shine,” “I’m Gonna Get You,” “Joe Knows Hows How To Live,” “In A Letter To You,” and “Bayou Boys.”

Of those five classics, I must say, “Shine, Shine, Shine” is the one I can’t go an entire day without hearing. Sing along with me! You know the words!

Raven went on to write songs for several well-known rock and country artists, including Elvis Costello, Johnny Cash, Kenny Chesney, George Jones, Toby Keith, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Jeff Walker, Lorrie Morgan, and the Oak Ridge Boys.

Oh, he also attended Louisiana-Lafayette.

Speaking of Louisiana-Lafayette, there’s a pretty big football game going on tomorrow and…

Mark Stoops greatly appreciates the support.

Yesterday, Stoops said, “Our people within the Big Blue Nation and certainly within the athletic department have been amazing. It’s important to a lot of people, and we recognize that. I think Mitch does a wonderful job. He’s very passionate and he cares greatly. From him on down to the other coaches and teams and support staff and administrators and all the people that have been in there trying to get the stadium ready, we can’t thank them enough. It’s very important to them; it’s very important for us to out there and play well.”

Now it’s time for him to hold up his end of the bargain and start putting some wins on the board. That starts tomorrow with the inaugural game in the New CWS.

South Carolina looked pretty average last night.

Not going to get carried away until I see Kentucky tomorrow, but after checking out the Gamecocks last night, I’m a little more confident in UK’s Week 2 chances. Spurrier’s quarterback didn’t show me anything — Would Barker be starting there? — and the secondary is weak. Again, still have to see what the Cats throw out there, but there’s some new optimism after watching last night’s game.

Vanderbilt lost to Western Kentucky.

Vandy fans really seemed to care about the season opener:

@MrChadBishop

It’s going to be a long year for the ‘Dores.

Marques Bolden’s official visit to UK is going “sensational.”

That comes from a tweet from Hoop DFW, which describes itself as an “NCAA certified scouting service in Dallas/Ft. Worth.”

I guess we can trust them.

Tyler Ulis and Isaiah Briscoe are inseparable.

A photo posted by Tyler Ulis (@tulis3) on

Somewhere, Devin Booker is jealous, probably.

Tons of UL-Lafayette stuff coming throughout the day…

But first, KSR radio in one hour.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Eddy Raven’s Friday Morning Wakeup

1. Poppschmidty
    9:21 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

Selfies in the women’s restroom? That just made me feel like the guy from “Varsity Blues” — wieners on the glass at the Alana Club?!?!

• CooterKeys
      11:34 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

And lookie…they even got the same ‘X” tattoos on their hand. BFF’s for life!

2. Laker Cat 18
    9:49 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

There’s a difference in being Kentucky terrible and Vandy terrible. Vandy is on another level of terrible.

3. Eddie Rabbit
    9:51 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

Eddie Raven sux!

4. Blasphemy
    10:39 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

The smack talk coming out of that back court is going to be crazy.

5. the reality is
    10:41 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

I do believe WKU handled UK in the season opener just two years ago. UK has improved but be cautious – the defense was non-existent last year for the 2nd half of the season and lost Dupree and Smith. Until UK makes a bowl I don’t think you are in any position to make fun of someone for losing to a WKU team that beat UK in 2013 and could have beat them in 2014 too. UK isn’t a powerhouse no matter how much you all want them to be on this website.

• CatsBy80
      11:00 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

who is calling them a powerhouse? and what team are you a fan of? based on your comments, I’m assuming Vandy?

• Jeffrey
      11:02 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

No way WKU was capable of beating UK last season. Theyre good for their level, but UK was actually competitive against top level teams last season.

• Reality Bites
      1:09 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

I missed the memo where UK fans were supposed to think the football team is a powerhouse….

Someone provide link please.

6. the reality is
    11:39 am September 4, 2015 Permalink

UK beat Vandy 17-7 last year. Not real impressive. They make fun of UK every day on the Paul Finebaum show but hey keep drinking the kool aid. Might win 6 this year with Louisiana Lafayette, EKU, and first year FBS Charlotte on the schedule, along with 8 home games. UK is light years behind Auburn, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, A&M, and Arkansas. Tennessee is widening the gap again too. Cats will compete with SC, Vandy, Florida, and Miss State but will likely win only the Vandy game since the other two are on the road and they never ever ever beat the Gators. Fact is the Cats just quit last year and I see no reason to believe they won’t do the same again this year. A new year but the same old tired song and dance. My team is Auburn by the way. The good thing about our game this year is we play on Thursday night. We will be so far ahead at halftime that you can leave and get home early on a school night.

• CatsBy80
      12:14 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

if your team is auburn, then why the hell do you bother coming to our team’s site? scared of the “bottom-feeder” that is UK? give me a break. you’re a tool.

• theWilkman
      12:36 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

His team is Auburn because they are good. He’s a bandwagon fan and nothing more. If not, there’s zero chance he’d be on this site, like there’s zero chance I’m ever on an Auburn basketball site. If there even is one.

• Adorable
      1:39 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

Hey do us all a favor and smash the Cards into oblivion so they can get the reality check they so deserve. Thanks.

SEC >> ACC

7. KenM
    3:17 pm September 4, 2015 Permalink

I like that Briscoe and Ulis got matching X tattoos on their left hands to remind them of the togetherness that builds a team.