Drew Curtis and Matt Bevin say they’d cheer for Kentucky over Louisville

KSR’s Gubernatorial Debate is wrapping up, and while the candidates have covered plenty of topics ranging from Planned Parenthood to medical marijuana, the question you probably care about most is which team they’d cheer for in a head-to-head matchup: Kentucky or Louisville.

Democrat Jack Conway gave the most infuriating response when he said he’d cheer for both, despite the fact that he grew up a Kentucky fan.

“Both of them. Come on, I’m for both of them. I grew up a huge Kentucky fan,” Conway said, telling listeners how he met Goose Givens a few months ago and told him about how he grew up watching the ’78 team and made signs saying “Duke is Puke.”

…Yet, you would still cheer for both Louisville and Kentucky?! Pfft. Politician.

Independent Drew Curtis simply said “Kentucky,” while Republican Matt Bevin, who picked Rick Pitino over John Calipari during KSR’s GOP Gubernatorial Debate in May, went the safe route this time around and said the Cats.

“I learned my lesson last time in trying to be diplomatic,” Bevin said. “I’d pick Kentucky.”

Smart move.

10 Comments for Drew Curtis and Matt Bevin say they’d cheer for Kentucky over Louisville

1. jennifer murphy
    11:02 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Matts democratic flag was flying today!!

2. Beavis Bevin
    11:11 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

In other words, Bevin is telling the audience what they want to hear. Put him on a UofL sports show and he’ll do a 180 and say UofL

3. Ben
    11:18 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

I am going to change my party to Independent today. Jack Conway and Matt Bevin are tools!

• Towles' Man Bun
      11:59 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Independent actually means to be unattached to a political party.

• chimichanga
      1:41 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Oh really, is that what it means?

4. Brent
    11:19 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

In high school, a group I was in took a field trip to the capitol and got to meet Conway. I distinctly remember him telling us he went to Duke, and that he didn’t care about politics he was going Rio be a Duke fan anyways. At this point he was joking with us, but he told us that he even loved Laettner. That’s what this answer today really means.

5. matt from union
    11:26 am September 30, 2015 Permalink

Tell John Short, Jeff Nelson lives in Union, Ky and is in the Healthcare industry. He is married and has a kid in high school.

6. bbn4LIFE
    12:22 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

I hate politics. I love weed.

7. LightenUpFrancis
    12:34 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Is there really a good answer to the UK v UL from a politician? There is a reason John Y. Brown wore a half red / half blue jacket. Of course he was more of a UK fan but why promote that when running for a statewide office? It is the single biggest question people remember from this debate and it really makes more more sense to be neutral than pick one. Maybe Conway is wishy-washy or maybe he is smarter than the rest of them?

8. android guy
    1:14 pm September 30, 2015 Permalink

Thanks, Mrs. T, for distilling it down to the IMPORTANT INFO!