Doug Gottlieb hosts KSR (Friday Show Thread)

We have one last guest host before Matt Jones returns from vacation on Monday. It’s Doug Gottlieb and he’s on today to talk NBA draft and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Give him a listen.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Doug Gottlieb hosts KSR (Friday Show Thread)

1. Ridge Runner
    10:01 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Very smart guy with obviously basketball IQ. Dont always agree as I have learned the way it is supposed to be but getting him as a host is really top notch to go along with Bilas & others. Nice.

• Ridge Runner
      10:04 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

…and that pic was taken after Doug topped some Jim Beam I do think

2. kentuckyrld
    10:10 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Do you really expect Kentucky fans to listen to this idiot? Please, find a real sportscaster to substitute rather than a criminal.

• spaghetti
      12:23 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

the world would end if we only listened to people we agree with. expand your mind. besides, hundreds of thousands of kentucky fans expose themselves to something they don’t want every year – football.

3. Big Kat
    10:19 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Cal specifically went out of his way to distinguish ON CAMPUS (Minardi Hall) from OFF CAMPUS (Camby taking cash and Derrick Rose SAT) when he was talking hypothetically about what a coach should and shouldn’t know about.

Why did Gottleib start off by totally missing this? Poor start.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:26 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

…ok I was coming in objective but I missed his opening. May have to reconsider my lukewarm support for Doug.

4. CATandMONKEY
    10:24 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Doug has said some controversial things but he does know ball fairly well. I’ll give a listen.

Having so many Cats in The League make it difficult to be a fan. I have always been a Celt’s fan but Phoenix and Sacramento will probably get more of my attention this year.

#firstbasketballworldproblems

5. Realme
    10:30 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Disagree with those of you who think Gottlieb knows what he’s taking about. I think he says tons of really stupid things but says them with such confidence that people think he’s smart. Then when he gets one prediction out of 12 right, he brags hard about how right he was so he can maintain the farce.

• ukjaybrat
      11:11 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

this describes every sports analyst and weather man everywhere

• Realme
      11:19 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Ha ha yeah. I just described all I bracketologists, mock draft creators and weather forecasters. But Gottlieb is an extreme example of that approach imo.

6. CATandMONKEY
    10:31 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Hey Golfers!

Had not heard the Man-O-War Golf spot before.
    Hilariously, unintentionally funny.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:35 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Murray (Nuggets) – Slid a bit from where I thought he would go. The Celtics taking Brown was the turning point. I still would have taken Murray over Brown and Dunn though. He’ll fit in about anywhere he goes. I was hoping for the Wolves with KAT.

Skal (Kings) – Apparently I was the only one on Earth who didn’t think he would be a lottery pick. No surprise he slid so far. He will never play for the Kings and I couldn’t think of a worse situation for him to walk into. Zero leadership in that organization. I was hoping he would go somewhere with a good coach who could focus on his development. Spurs or Wolves come to mind first.

Ulis (Suns) – Phoenix got a steal with him. I don’t see Bledsoe staying with the Suns for the long haul because of injuries. No one better for Ulis to learn the ropes from than him and Knight.

Poythress (Undrafted) – To be fair, he never really improved from his freshman to senior season. We can blame that on injury all we want, but my personal opinion is he just doesn’t have the fire and passion to want to be a basketball player. Unfortunately, most GM’s saw the same thing.

• Ridge Runner
      11:27 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

My thoughts pretty much word for word my friend…

• spaghetti
      12:34 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

I agree with you about Murray and how the Celtics through a curve. I’m not familiar with Brown or Dunn but I know most analysts are very high on Dunn. I think all would agree that Murray would have had a better start to his career in Minnesota than where he ended up.
      I totally agree with you on Skal. I feel like the analysts and experts, including ESPN, KSR, and NCAA bball game commentators, mostly said Skal was a lottery pick or, at worst, around 15th. I never bought it and, I think like you, most fans didn’t either. And you’re right, he went to the worst possible place. Everyone says he under-performed last year, which if it isn’t physical, then it’s mental. I don’t think he’s physically ready for the NBA or mentally ready for the Kings, especially if he’s not in either respect ready for UK last year. Boogie and Willie will destroy him in practice, assuming he’s in their practices. I think I might agree with what some suggest that he’ll not play in the NBA for several years or possibly ever. I wasn’t surprised how far he slid. He was such a minimal contribute on a good, not great, team last year. His only skill is a 15-foot jumper. But you can’t tell me NBA bigs can’t guard that…He won’t even score in practice or stop his man from scoring. It’s pretty telling when he “slides” to 28 in a terribly weak draft. I thought it was a weak draft and Jaylen Rose and Jay Bilas both said the same thing last night.

• spaghetti
      12:34 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

threw not through

8. Kentuckyhomegrown
    10:43 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

sad Cal had to get on the phone to beg teams to take Skal..him falling showed his true potential..hes just not that good

• ukjaybrat
      11:14 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

umm… he still went in the first round… that’s a lot better than hundreds of other basketball players

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

I, too, thought that was odd that Cal was calling front office people at that point. I mean, what impact could it possibly have?
      However, if I were a HS recruit and my dream was to play in the NBA, I would give serious consideration to a coach who had those kinds of relationships at that level.

• spaghetti
      12:40 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

I agree with you. I was sad for him because of what he went through at Haiti and his whole family made the trip to NY (or NJ or whatever). It’s not his fault the experts ranked him so high based on workouts and the competition he had through his junior year of high school. He didn’t play as a senior and then we all saw what he did at UK last year.
      ukjaybrat is right, he went in the first round and that’s better than a lot of other basketball players. It’s also a fact that many NBA players go in the first round. OP wasn’t comparing to “other basketball players”, he was comparing to NBA players. And he’s right – he’s just not that good. going 28 in what Jaylen Rose, Jay Bilas, Matt Jones, and many other are calling a weak draft is “not that good”.

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:43 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

I like Gottlieb better than the Barstool or Sklar Brothers. At least we’re talking sports and not Conway Twitty again.

10. J-Dub421
    10:48 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

The Kings management is so horribly inept. It’s embarrassing at this point.

• spaghetti
      12:42 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

So true! It boggles my mind why Boogie re-signed with them.

11. Sentient Third Eye
    10:54 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

I’d rather be hearing about Britain’s new Independence Day, Conway Twitty or anything else other than such half-informed takes on Cal’s comments.

• runningunnin.454
      9:36 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

O.K. Britain wised up and voted to leave that socialist “Titanic” collapsing under the weight of thousands of immigrants and refugees; And it’s time the U.S. voted the same.

12. runningunnin.454
    10:56 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

The draft sukt. I was working and watching only peripherally; but did I see two PG, only 2nd team in their conference, go ahead of Ulis…the Cousey Award winner? Ulis owned the guy from Vandy, and even Yogi Ferrell could play rings around him. Either there is something to the hip rumors, or insanity is contagious.
    Philly takes another guy that can’t shoot; Kings get Skal and Pappasomething and neither can compete with Cousins and Willie. What are the Suns going to do….a five guard lineup?
    I think I’ll retire to Bedlam.

13. J-Dub421
    10:58 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Goodman is such a smarmy tool.

14. secrick
    11:08 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Ha guys can someone answer this for me, Did Ramsey resign , had a card fan tell me yesterday that he did not resign only said he would if the new board wanted him to.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:23 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

He is still the president, but he has announced his “intention” to resign. A university president can’t just leave without causing chaos. Such a major position requires a very drawn-out transition to avoid greatly complicating a lot of different functions.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Also, the Board may or may not be gone. Bevin completely ignored all laws on procedure for replacing a board, so it may not be legal or go through the way he wants.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:44 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

All in all, I think Gottlieb is doing a pretty reasonable job. Presenting his opinions without trolling. I know the dudes from Wisconsin were just poking fun, but I like this show much better.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:53 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

I agree with you. The Wisconsin guys were kind of annoying. They had a chance to reel me into their Barstool sports show, but I have no interest now.

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

The Barstool guys were boring really.

• R2
      12:42 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

Wish guys sucked loud and clear. Hope to NEVER hear from them again!

• R2
      12:43 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

*Wisc guys

• kingave66
      2:29 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

The Barstool guys are SUPER funny on their own podcast, but they are have a different type of humor than Matt’s in-your-face style.

16. J-Dub421
    11:52 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Did this idiot just call Knight small?? He’s 6’3″.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:54 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

Will we see the day where all 5 starters on ANY NBA TEAM are all former UK players?

• J-Dub421
      11:58 am June 24, 2016 Permalink

It’s possible, depending on salary/cap space.

18. Ridge Runner
    12:04 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

Good show actually. Look, he doesn’t bleed blue and I get that. Still he was able to keep UK as the focal point even with guests and examples of players.

19. Allison
    1:24 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

I’ve not been able to listen to the show the last couple weeks (OK, when Matt’s away, it’s just not as appealing). Does anyone have any information on the summer tour? I thought I heard it was going to be done a little differently this year, but I’ve not been able to confirm anything.

20. kingave66
    2:26 pm June 24, 2016 Permalink

So glad that Matt will be back Monday. Gottlieb wasn’t good at all and Goodman… trash. I’m super disappointed too that Ryan outright refused for to grow a pair for two weeks and talk about the Bologna Head Ramsey situation.