Dota 2 International’s Sunday News and Views

Image Via Deadspin

When I was a child I would spend countless hours grinding away on the Super Nintendo as my parents would tell me that nobody gets paid to play video games. If I was going to make a living in this world I would need to apply myself in an arena other than a virtual one. Currently underway is the Defense of the Ancients 2 (or Dota 2) international tournament with a grand prize of 10 million dollars. The event is currently streaming on every video game website and even on ESPN 3 so you could say it’s a pretty big deal and I can say my parents are wrong. Being a professional gamer is now a career.

Esports are the fastest growing sporting league in the world and the winner of the above tournament will bring home more than the 8 mil Rory looks to win at the British open. Perhaps in the next ten years we see the top players in the world facing off in Madden on ESPN just before the Super Bowl kicks off. Or Call of Duty deathmatches each night on NBC. Maybe there will be an Olympics of gaming where countries send their best teams to compete in various games. Gaming is leaving the basement and heading for your television. It’ll be interesting to see just how big professional gaming can become.

Now some news and views:

Zy’Aire Hughes rolls the dice

Image Via BGDailyNews

The 2016 Kentucky high school football class could be the most talented the bluegrass has ever produced and the Cats are on their way to locking it up. They already have a commitment from Landon Young out of Lafayette and now Zy’Aire Hughes from Loan Oak has decided to join him. Hughes played QB for the Purple Flashes in their final year before closing and consolidating into McCracken County. Hughe will likely join a loaded wide receiver corps when he arrives on campus in a couple of years.

With Hughes and Young committed the staff can move on to top center Drake Jackson out of Woodford County and Quinton Baker from Ashland for the 2016 class. Coach Brown is making Danville proud.

Kentucky Will Take Their Talents To South Beach

Kentucky rarely plays a non-conference road game against a team not named Louisville, North Carolina, or another high profile team. However next season that is going to change as Cal is doing Antigua a solid and will take Kentucky to South Beach to play USF. The game is slated to be a part of a double bill with Ohio State and Memphis so go ahead and circle your calendar. Miami sounds like the place to be in late November.

2014-2015 Cats Are Putting In Work

Chad Ford released his first big board for next year’s draft today and 3 Cats made the cut with 4 more just on the out side. Ford thinks Karl Towns could go third with Willie 12th and Andrew Harrison 28th. Alex was 31st, Dakari 34th, and Aaron Harrison 35th. Perhaps as a result the team got in the gym and started putting in work with a late night gym session. Coach Cal returned from the Peach Jam to find the team playing and tweeted the above picture praising the team for their work and how they “love to play”.

August 10th is just a few short weeks away and we will all be able to see this super team in action. 2014-15 is going to be one heck of a ride.

Malik Monk Gets An Offer

The Peach Jam brings all the recruiting news you can handle and the latest is that 2016 prospect Malik Monk picked up a Kentucky offer earlier today. Malik Monk is the 6th rated player in the class of 2016 and garnered a lot of attention this weekend at the Peach Jam, dropping 40 points in front of Coach Cal and Bill Self, among others. Calipari thought he was important enough to watch that he made the trip BACK from Lexington to Augusta AGAIN last night after hanging out with LeBron just to catch Monk in action.

That’s all the news fit to print from this busy Saturday. Enjoy yourselves and check back tomorrow to see what new info Sunday will bring. Go Cayts.

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

27 Comments for Dota 2 International’s Sunday News and Views

1. Ridge Runner
    10:40 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

Andrew, my 15yr old son plays countless hours of minecraft. Gotta make sure he does not see this post! Yeah, I admit I have turned into your parents of years ago.

Great to see Coach Cal work out a game with Coach O so soon. I think this double-bill is set as the Hall of Fame Tip off to the season isn’t it? Anyway, good stuff.

2. Bleed Blue
    10:42 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

What many don’t realize is professional gamers are now considered professional athletes by Congress. Call of Duty was featured at the X-Games this year. I have been a fan of Esports since the days of only 20 people being at an events and it unreal how much it has grown. OpTic Nadeshot who is the most popular gamer in America earns roughly 150,000 dollars a year playing Call of Duty and he is endorsed by Red Bull. He isn’t even the best player, but he is ultra popular.

• Ridge Runner
      10:46 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

OK…I now most assuredly need to make sure my son doesn’t read this entire post.
      😉

On a serious note, I did not know call of duty had been featured in the X-games. It does take some kinda effort to advance thru those screens for sure. All of which I have none.

3. Ace
    10:45 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

It looks as if Marcus Lee has added 30-40 pounds of muscle. Derek Willis looks as if he has added 10-15 pounds as well. From the picture it looks like they are working hard.

I do think Cauley Stein’s conditioning will be an issue until SEC play starts because of his injury.

I am already excited for this year– but also looking ahead to Lebron’s son joining us in a few years. Good work KSR on getting those pictures at KBA!

• Ridge Runner
      10:48 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

Agreed Ace. -and it shows a togetherness image of the entire team that is eye opening, this early. I like that a lot.

4. dude
    10:56 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

Andrew – U of South Florida is in Tampa. South Beach is in Miami. They are 300 miles apart. So we’re taking our talents to Tampa, not South Beach.

• Ridge Runner
      11:06 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

No, actually Andrew is correct according to ESPN…
      The double bill games will be at…”American Airlines Arena in Miami on Nov. 27, 2015″

5. Hey, kudos to those who have figured out a way to make a nice living playing a video game, but please do NOT tell me it is a sport.

6. dude
    11:33 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

Oops my bad Andrew – that’s AWESOME the game will be in MIA!!

But technically you’re all wrong American Airlines Arena is in downtown Miami, South Beach is on the other side of Biscayne Bay.

• Jeffy
      7:09 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

If it’s in Miami, then it’s a neutral court game, not a road game, and Cal isn’t doing Antigua any solids.

7. Chuck Norris
    11:34 pm July 19, 2014 Permalink

I feel like I have to correct you as an alumni, it was Lone Oak High School.

• Roofus Howls
      8:53 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

As another alum – Thank you Chuck!

Loan Oak? Really? And he isn’t from Lone Oak now, he’s now from McCracken County High School. But I do appreciate credit being given to the Purple Flash instead of the Mustangs just because.

Wonder if he’ll continue to play QB or if Coach Haskins has another QB ready to let Mr. Hughes loose in another role?

• Rixter
      9:50 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

I think it’s Loan Oke

8. Mrice1993
    12:34 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

Dota 2 is a team game that has 5 players on a team. Then you have the team management, Evil Geniuses, Complexity. etc. You then have the sponsors as well. Its not like these guys are getting 2 million a piece.

However no matter how much they get its still going to be a lot more than they would ever see elsewhere at that age or maybe in their life. Most of the best gamers in the world hail from Korea or Asia so pursuing a career no matter how short it is might be better than most other job opportunities they would have.

Aside from all of that, Dominique Hawkins arms are looking a little bit like Bledsoe’s arms. Whatever they are doing in strength training I hope they continue because they look way more toned than the beginning of the summer.

9. bigcatstanding
    12:36 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

looking through the team picture, Kentucky kids putting in the work. Marcus Lee, oh my gosh I cannot believe how much, he has pumped up, and put on muscle. he was skinny as a rail last season, he didn’t even look like he could compete inside with the big guys. he sure looks like he could bang download now.

10. bigcatstanding
    12:42 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

Ace, believe me when I say this. I didn’t try to copy your post at all. I read through the different things attached to this, had a opinion on the one. and my last comment was, basically what you already said.

11. Dubbya
    12:48 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

Has Lee gotten taller?

12. Justin
    3:51 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

Im at the international in Seattle right now and its been really fun. Cant wait to see who wins. Plus the Cats look better then a year before lets hope for the best.

13. Jayred
    7:46 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

The grand prize is not $10 million. That’s the total prize pool which is split among all of the teams that place in the top 14. The top team receives about half of that, currently $4.9 million or so, which probably equates to several hundred thousand per player on the team. Their hardware sponsors likely take none of those winnings away from the contest from my understanding of the business – it’s more/less whoever owns the team (which, of course, is who employs the players, pays their living expenses, traveling fees, and basically allows them to just play a video game for a living) getting a cut. Winning the international (or prizes from any other tournament) is just a bonus for any of these players, as is the money they make from advertisements on their “internet TV channels” that showcase them playing in non-tournament settings on a day-to-day basis. All in all, they make a pretty good living off it.

I was pretty surprised to see this post here, kudos to the Cassady kid for throwing it up!

14. Stuart Yancy
    7:49 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

It’s LONE Oak not Loan Oak. I graduated from there in 1979. Golfer Kenny Perry graduated from there in 1978.

15. My Blood Is Typo
    8:14 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

I’m pretty sure the kid realizes it’s not Loan Oak and that no one borrowed a tree. I think it’s safe to say it was a brain fart.

16. Bum leg
    9:32 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

You should be very worried that WCS isn’t working out.

• Bleed Blue
      5:58 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Why cause he hasn’t been cleared yet? He can still work out just not hard. He has been working on his shot. Also it’s not his leg it’s his ankle, unlike Kevin Ware his legs aren’t toothpicks.

17. Cotton Mash
    10:01 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

dang Marcus!!!

18. harry
    10:34 am July 20, 2014 Permalink

what about the guns on D.Hawkings? Respect.

19. CPACAT
    5:03 pm July 20, 2014 Permalink

Cant wait to go to Miami for the CATS 2015 game against USF!!

20. Derp
    4:20 pm July 21, 2014 Permalink

The USF game won’t be a road game. Neutral court, as USF is located in Tampa.