Dolly Parton’s Wednesday News and Views

If my calculations are correct, Dolly Parton is like 223 years old, and she is still touring the States with her extra-large breasticles and unmistakable singing voice. The Backwoods Barbie was in Richmond Tuesday night at Eastern Kentucky University’s Center for the Arts for a St. Mark Catholic Church and School benefit concert, her second time back at EKU after a St Mark benefit in 2008.

As you can see in this photo from Jennifer Palumbo at Tuesday’s show, Dolly’s still got it going on:

Parton and Reba McEntire share the record for most No. 1 singles by a female country artist at 25, but “I Will Always Love You” will always be at the top of the list for me…

… although Whitney’s version is better.

But above all this, let’s do this News and Views thing. If I should stay, I would only be in your way.

St. Louis and Tampa to host future SEC Tournaments.

Kentucky fans’ favorite trip of the year will be heading to Missouri in 2018 when St. Louis host the SEC Tournament. We’ll be packing our bags for Tampa four years later in 2022, SEC commissioner Mike Slive announced on Tuesday.

Nashville will play host the other nine years between now and 2025.

Plan accordingly.

We’re getting two new permanent basketball rivals!

When the SEC announced its new basketball scheduling format two years ago, it included one permanent rival for a home-and-away series every season. Florida has been Kentucky’s permanent rival for the past two seasons, but the Cats will add two more in 2014-15.

The Commish let it be know that the SEC is going to three permanent rivals/opponents, while keeping the conference schedule at 18 games.

I’d like to see Tennessee and Vanderbilt be the two we add. You?

Malik Newman to narrow his list at the end of the summer.

The class of 2015’s best scorer told Rivals.com he plans to trim his list to five schools in time for the fall.

Kentucky currently leads Newman’s Crystal Ball predictions with 90 percent of the vote, ahead of Kansas at 10 percent. He is also considering Mississippi State, Ole Miss, NC State, and Duke with offers from Arizona, Louisville, North Carolina and several others.

Newman said over the weekend that the “package deal” with Diamond Stone is still 100 percent on.

This police officer at the Indy 500 got a little trigger-happy with the taser.

Ol’ buddy in the red socks should’ve stayed back. What did he think he contributed to the situation?

Stop what you’re doing and vote for A.J. Reed for the Golden Spikes Award.

Kentucky’s star player and the 2014 SEC Player of the Year is one of 21 semifinalists for the Golden Spikes Award, given to the top amateur baseball player in the country by USA Baseball. The award is sponsored by the MLB. Past winners include Bryce Harper, Stephen Strasburg, Buster Posey, David Price, Tim Lincecum, Jered Weaver, Mark Prior, Patt Burrell and JD Drew.

Reed leads the NCAA in homers, slugging and OPS, and finished the regular season as the SEC leader in homers (23), RBI (70), wins (11), slugging (.768), on-base percentage (.491), total bases (162) and walks (47). He also ranks third in the SEC in average (.351), second in runs (59), ninth in hits (74), eighth in doubles (17), sixth in ERA (2.10), third in innings pitched (103.0) and ninth in strikeouts (68).

Vote for him here.

Nick Saban wants the SEC to only play games against teams from the “Power 5” conferences.

Of course he does.

Meanwhile, bottom-tier SEC schools like Kentucky think it is hard enough as it is to succeed in the conference.

Saban said it will be “better for fans and players.” And Alabama because his program can handle it. We need our Ohios, UT-Martins, and Louisiana-Monroes.

Anyone watch The Americans?

I loved Season 1 but I just can’t get into Season 2. I’m currently playing catch-up (I think I’m on Episode 6 or 7) and I would love for one of you to tell me it gets better. It’s just not doing it for me so far.

The new season of 24, on the other hand, is already off to a great start. I’ll take any other suggestions you may have, too. I trust your opinions.

Josh Selby and the Harrison twins posed for a picture.

The No. 1 player in the 2010 class uploaded this photo to his Instagram account. There was a time when we thought he might try to co-exist with Brandon Knight in the UK backcourt. Then he got in some trouble with the NCAA, played an underwhelming one season at Kansas, went to Memphis with one of the last picks in the draft, and now he is over in Croatia somewhere.

The Kings want to put Kevin Love next to DeMarcus Cousins.

Sacramento has made it clear it is willing to trade for Kevin Love without any assurance he will re-sign with the team next summer when his contract expires. Minnesota is looking to get some value out of Love before he bails at the end of next season, and the Kings are drooling over the idea of a Love-Cousins duo in the paint. Problem is, Love wants a big market and, well, Sacramento is far from a big market. I like the idea, though.

That’ll do it for tonight, folks.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Dolly Parton’s Wednesday News and Views

1. tdogg40330
    11:14 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

UT and Vandy will do me, nothin much better than spankin them 2 teams twice
    each year ……GO CATS !!!!!!

2. Jewelielou
    11:16 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

Drew, The Americans gets better! I was a little iffy mid season too but it gets better! Don’t give up. The last two episodes this season were the best of the series so far!

• blake
      1:41 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Hey drew…this person above is spot on…the last half of this season was great….FX has the best series….SOA, justified, and I like the brand new fargo starring billy Bob Thornton. ..

• Carlos Danger
      6:06 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

The Americans ends with a bang in season 2. The show you really need to be watching is also on FX… Fargo.

• Jewelielou
      6:43 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Thank you! The last episode l did not see coming. Definitely excited to see what happens in season 3.

• chief_cat
      8:26 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Completely agree with the comments above. The Americans definitely ended with bang and next season cannot come quickly enough.

3. Whitney’s version is better…in your dreams!

4. Vols
    11:33 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

Pretty sure it’s already been all but said one of the permanent opponents will be Tennessee which makes me very pleased. I think I’d prefer Mizzou as the third though.

5. Dringus

░░░░░▀▄░░░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█░░
    ░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░▒░░░█░
    ░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░█░
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░█░░

6. Dr. Drew
    11:36 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

Drew Franklin once mistook me for a lollipop

__,,,,、 .,、
                /’゙´,_/’″  . `\
              : ./   i./ ,,..、    ヽ
             . /    /. l, ,!     `,
               .|  .,..‐.、│          .|
               (´ã‚› ,/ llヽ            |
                ヽ -./ ., lliヽ       .|
                 /'”,i” ゙;、 l’ii,”く     .ヽ
             / …│  ゙l,  l゙゙t, ”ii_    :.!
            : /.._ /    ヽ \\.`゙~””””./
            .|-゙ノ/   : ゝ .、 ` .ï½€”←┬゛
              l゙ /.r   ゛ .゙ヒ, .ヽ,   ゙̄|
           . | ./ l      ”’、 .゙ゝ……..ã‚“
           l  /     ヽ .`’ `、、  .,iã‚›
           .l|  !    ””v,    ゙”ー .l、
           |l゙ .il、  .l  .ヽ  .¬—イ
          .ll゙, ./    !            ,!
          .!!…!!   ,,゙””ー       .|
          l.”,!    .リ         |
          l”:|    .〜”’      ,. │
          l; :!    .|'”    …ノ,゙./ │
          l: l「    !    . ゙゙̄ /  !
          .| .|    !     ,i│  |
          :! .l.    }    ,i’./    |
          :! .|    :|    . /     .|
          :! |    ;!   ”      .|
          :! !    │        │
          :!:|               ,! i ,!
          :! ,    .l,      / .l゙ !
          :! |    , l.     | .|  :,
        : v'” .!    |’i .ヽ,    ./ :!  .ヽ
     _, _/  /     .l  ゛ ._/ :l゙    .`゙”

• Baraka

──██▄────────▄███▀▀▀▀▀▄────────█
      ─█▀─▀█▄────────▀█──────▀▄──────█
      ─█────▀▀▀▀▄─────█────────▀─────█
      ─█─────────▀▄──▀───────────────█

• Jim Gray
      6:04 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I really enjoy your art work. This is what I imagine for the new convention cemter.

• bluemanchew
      9:33 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

They already have some of that junk goin on in downtown lewisville. Think they can have that type of stuff.

7. Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
    11:52 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

Yup, Americans gets better. Hang in there. Daughter’s story line got on my last nerve as well.

Just got done watching Fargo, myself.

My top 10 of must-watch shows:

Game of Thrones, HBO (didn’t know what to do with myself Sunday night)
    House of Cards, Netflix
    Boardwalk Empire, HBO
    Vikings, History
    Homeland, Showtime
    Hannibal, NBC
    True Detective, HBO (Bale and Chastain in season 2?)
    Justified, FX
    SOA, FX
    Banshee, Cinemax (vastly underrated – renewed for a third season!)

• blake
      1:48 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Also agree with this person and most every bit of the list especially house of cards. …its only second to breaking bad of my all time favorite tv…including movies docs..ect.. just lost interest in game of thrones in the second season….

• AMK
      6:33 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

As much as I love GOT, I’m still in Justified and Vikings withdrawal.

• asdf
      8:16 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

IMHO, Viikings jumped the shark after Gabriel Byrne left the show. Now, where is the gravitas?

8. Mark
    11:53 pm May 27, 2014 Permalink

Drew- American’s still has to same great acting and production quality and it has a pretty nice explanation of what was going on and a pretty messed up situation set up for season 3. I don’t want to ruin it but if you liked the constant play on family drama between the jennings and their children you will really dig the last part of the story arch. I was born in the 80’s and grew up in the 90’s so the post cold war sentiment is very memorable to me and the show runners seem to give these spies an anti hero feel which is annoying and weird because I come from a military family and I hate seeing russian spies so effectively do their jobs. I guess that is what gives the show its unique feel. Finish it out though.

9. tvaddicted
    12:15 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

House of Cards definitely. Also Scandal.

10. Huffs912
    12:24 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, Drew, stick w/ the Americans. Like others in this thread, I was just about done w/ it. But, the last episode is insane and sets up the potential for a great third season. Andy Greenwald from Grantland wrote a great article concerning the second season. Not sure if you normally like Grantland, but if so, check this out after you are done w/ the season: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-americans-season-2-finale/

11. Go sho
    12:58 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

The show you should really check out is BBC’s “Sherlock”….I was skeptical at first but man it is top notch television

12. TDog
    1:43 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Since UT seems to be obvious I am hoping for Ole Miss. Let’s be honest…I just want it for the trip down to Oxford. Love having an excuse to go down there and if you have not been it should be of the utmost importance to try to go to a game there.

13. josh selby
    2:19 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I should’ve picked the Cats

14. Kevin
    5:32 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

UT and Arkansas. While I understand that the series lost a lot of its spark since the 1990s, when the Razorbacks and the Cats were atop college basketball the SEC regular season and tournament produced many remarkable moments. As a fan, there was no other team that I wanted to beat more than Arkansas.

• asdf
      8:14 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I agree with you. UT is a no-brainer, bur Arkansas is perfect for the final spot. They are the only school in the SEC besides UK and Florida to have a national title, we have a history as an amazing rivalry, and they have quietly become competitive again (they’ve won the last three against us). Plus, they are an “SEC West” school, and even though we don’t have divisions in basketball, I think every “East” team needs one “West” rival to bind the conference together better.

15. Middle Aged Jeezy
    7:30 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

I don’t have a clue what you people are talking about, the entire 2nd season of “The Americans” was awesome. Of course, we’re talking about Drew here, the man who thinks Taco Bell is a great restaurant. The best dramas on TV, in no particular order, are:
    Mad Men
    The Americans
    Boardwalk Empire
    The Newsroom
    Homeland
    Masters of Sex
    Californication
    House of Cards
    Orange is the New Black
    Game of Thrones
    TURN
    Fargo
    Halt and Catch Fire (already watched the series premiere on On Demand, looks like it’s gonna be really good)

16. markp
    8:09 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

No way is Whitney’s gaudy version better than Dolly’s!

17. asdf
    8:22 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

It’s no longer considered a “hot” property, but I still enjoy Longmire on A&E. Best cop show on TV, imho. It’s the last good show left on A&E.

18. Pondguy
    8:27 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Why does Dolly Parton’s husband have a mustashe?

To hide the stretch marks….hehe

19. mike
    8:48 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Dolly version is better, and its not even close.

20. asdf
    9:46 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Whitney Houston was an amazing singer, but her voice overpowers the song. Yes, she shows off how powerful her voice is, but she vocally obliterates a song that is soft and sweet at its core. This is not supposed to be a powerful, sweeping song like “Unchain Melody” or something. It’s more intimate than that. The Houston version, as impressively powerful as it is, entire misses the point.

• My thoughts exactly!

• Kim
      3:17 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Exactly! Thank you. I’ve tried for years to explain why I think Whitney butchered the song. I’m going to memorize you comment verbatim. Even though my musical tastes are polar opposite of country, Dolly’s I Will Always Love You is in my all-time top 5.

• Kim
      3:22 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Jesus ADSF. I just read your comment again. You say in a single paragraph what I send 10 minutes boring people to tears trying to explain. Seriously, are you a writer? If not, Start thinking about your own blog.

Really, answer my question. Are you a professional writer? (Zero sarcasm intended here.)

21. Mojo
    9:58 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Why no love for Orphan Black? It’s got a Canadian chick playing like 41 different clones of herself and 67% of them are hot.

22. LUNCHBOX
    11:05 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

Tenn. is an obvious choice, but i think it would be interesting to have Auburn as the other since Bruce Pearl is there and AU should be patient enough with him to build the program

23. Richard
    11:38 am May 28, 2014 Permalink

There is simply no way Whitney Houston’s version is better than Dolly!! Whitney is a Powerhouse vocalist, and she has all the Orchestration behind her too. Dolly’s version is as if she is singing it to me!! You here all the nuances in her voice.

24. bbb
    1:24 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Whitney’s version of I will always love you pales in comparison to dolly……I. fact Whitney’s version is j of L in comparison .

25. Porter
    3:02 pm May 28, 2014 Permalink

Dolly’s version is better but Whitney’s made her richer.