Did Calipari’s in-home visit with Trae Young seal the deal?

trae-young-cal

On Saturday, John Calipari visited Trae Young, his most coveted 2017 recruit, and judging by the rumblings out of Norman, Oklahoma, that trip may have sealed the deal to bring the five-star point guard to Lexington. In the past two days, the six most recent picks in Young’s Crystal Ball have been for Kentucky, including that of Jerry Meyer, 247 Sports’ top recruiting guru, who previously predicted Young would go to Oklahoma, the other favorite in Young’s recruitment. What changed? Young’s dad told Ben Roberts that Calipari smoothed over any concerns the family had during the visit on Saturday.

“It went really well,” Trae’s father, Ray Young, told the Herald-Leader. “Trae asked some tough questions. My wife and I had some tough questions. And they answered them, and that’s all you can ask for. When you’re really interested in a school like Trae’s really interested in Kentucky, you want to make sure you have all of your questions answered. So we feel really good about the situation and what’s going on within the recruitment between Trae and Kentucky.”

Young will take an official visit to Kentucky for Big Blue Madness on October 14, and although he said he was considering taking an unofficial trip to Lexington before then to get to know the coaching staff better, his father said that may not be necessary after Saturday’s visit with Calipari and Kenny Payne. As I mentioned earlier, Trae may have even teased a commitment yesterday when he tweeted, “Success is the Only Option,” which, coincidentally, is the title of Calipari’s new book.

So, should we be on commitment watch? Possibly. Young’s father said his son still plans to announce in November or December, but “things could change.”

Hmm.

Trae Young
Point Guard | 6-1 | 170 lbs.
Norman, OK | Norman North
AAU: Mokan Elite
★★★★★
ESPN No. 15 | 2 PG Top247 No. 22 | 3 PG
Rivals No. 14 | 3 PG Scout No. 22 | 3 PG

[Herald-Leader]

9 Comments for Did Calipari’s in-home visit with Trae Young seal the deal?

1. Billy Hill
    2:41 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

How come the UL trolls don’t post anything on the basketball-related posts…? 😉

• Billy Hill
      2:42 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

Shoot, my fault. URL just removed.

• cats paw
      3:57 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

UL troll= phrase utilized by KSR bullies against those that can objectively view a topic….
      Allow me to give you some copy/paste info for later. Ul beats Uk in hoops this year!

• RealCatsFan
      4:24 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

cats paw: “wah wah wah, those meanies on KSR called me out for being a troll because I live such a miserable life that I get my jollies trolling a rival fan site instead of reveling in my football team’s success after they sold their soul to the Petrino Harley demon.”

Did they actually throw you off of card chronicle for being a PITA?

• Billy Hill
      2:27 am September 15, 2016 Permalink

Cool. 2-8

2. KevinM
    2:54 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

Come on Trae, go ahead and commit and show your leadership as Cal’s PG in ’17.

3. RealCatsFan
    3:11 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

Looks like a scorer and a natural leader. I like his swagger. Would like to see more elevation on his jumper to avoid getting blocked, but he has a quick release to make up for that. How is his defense? Didn’t see any defensive plays on the mix, just offense.

4. Big Blue Shawn
    4:29 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

He is a lock. Bet he will commit to uk in the near future.

5. GroundControlToNumber9
    5:58 pm September 14, 2016 Permalink

This kid is a very cerebral point guard. He has the handle, the jumper from anywhere, and most of the in lane floaters that are needed to succeed at the elite college level.

He could start as a Freshman and would naturally fit Calipari’s interest in letting his point guard be a creator on the court.

This kid is the real deal and a must get for this class.