Diamond Stone cuts the Cats from his list

dstone

Last night, five-star center Diamond Stone trimmed his list to five, and Kentucky did not make the cut. Stone narrowed his list to Maryland, Duke, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State, and UConn, dashing dreams of a Malik Newman/Diamond Stone package deal in Lexington.

UK being cut from an elite recruit’s list is a rarity these days, but don’t freak out. Stone and UK have been distancing themselves from each other for several months now, and UConn is considered to be his favorite. The Huskies have also offered Malik Newman, but as the days go by, the Newman/Stone deal seems increasingly less likely to happen. Stone will announce his decision on November 12th on ESPN, while Newman will wait until the spring.

With Stone out of the picture, I don’t expect UK’s strategy to change much, if at all. They’ll continue to pursue big men Doral Moore, Stephen Zimmerman, Skal Labisssiere, and Caleb Swanigan heavily. Moore was supposed to visit UK last weekend, but couldn’t make it. Many believe it’s only a matter of time before he commits, so stay tuned…

19 Comments for Diamond Stone cuts the Cats from his list

1. Eh
    11:20 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

We have Ulis and don’t need Newman and Willie will return for his senior year.

No sweat.

2. cracka
    11:29 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

we’ll definitely have ulis and booker next year and we’re adding matthews (and we’ll still have hawkins), but i really think we need one of these guys: jaylen brown, malik newman, antonio blakeney to be good at the guard spot next year

3. KevinM
    11:30 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

With the way the 2015 class is developing, Cal will want some of the current group to come back.

I know there’s plenty of time, but there’s a lot of unsurety out there about top players wanting to play for Cal.

• UKBlue1!
      12:20 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

The only “unsurety” is playing time. I am not worried. We are a hell of a lot better off right now than anytime during Tubby or BCG era’s.

4. BurnerTurner5
    11:44 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

I hope he turns out to be as good as Marvin Stone.

5. BlueRedNeck
    11:50 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

It’s all Matt’s fault – talking about Cal leaving! 🙂

6. J
    11:51 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

We won’t be getting skal either. And for good reason. His “guardians” have not had his best interest since moving to Memphis from Haiti . He now has lost his senior eligibility because they didn’t properly file papers and he was still enrolled at another school. They have their hand out and want him at Memphis or overseas

7. Bare yakoo
    11:53 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

This might be a terrible class. I hope a lot stay!!

8. Thought
    11:54 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Slice was brought in because of his relationship with this guy. Slice getting sliced.

• cracka
      11:56 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

slice was recruiting cheick diallo, not stone

• Rei
      12:29 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

“Thought”. Should’ve thought harder before posting.

9. Bare yakoo
    11:55 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

it’s not looking good for many of the top prospects at all

10. Jeff Garlin
    11:57 am August 29, 2014 Permalink

Kentucky isn’t for everyone!

11. raccoon
    12:07 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m not that worried. My guess is that we get 1-2 big men back. Towns is probably a lock to leave, but everyone else at least might come back. Would not be surprised to see Lee and Lyles back next year. Outside shot Willie comes back just because he wants to. I don’t see Dakari or Poy sticking around and it probably means they had a regression this year so let’s hope they don’t.

Also don’t forget about Willis. I’d bet he is a probable starter for next year, but will definitely be in the rotation. Just hope he doesn’t get down this year if he has limited playing time.

12. KG
    12:11 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

No panic button for me on this snub. His loss!

13. J-Dub421
    12:42 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Cal didn’t recruit Stone very hard, so that tells me all I really need to know. Most of the players that I really want to come to UK are still in the mix and seem to be waiting until spring to make decisions to see who’s staying and who’s going from our current roster. I think there is a strong chance we could end up with both Jaylen Brown and Malik Newman, which would make me very happy. We’ll get a big or two, and everything will work out just fine.

14. STEVE!
    1:10 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

It seems like most of the players Cal has “distanced” himself from in the past have been with good reason and ended up having eligibility or attitude problems (Mudiay, Shabazz, Selby, C. Walker). If a kid cuts UK early, it’s probably for the best.

15. Who cares
    1:47 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Who cares! He’ll go to another school who doesn’t care about his crack cocain addiction

16. Diamond?
    2:15 pm August 30, 2014 Permalink

More like glass marble, amirite? I mean, a consensus 5-star cut UK from his list, so he’s immediately a 2-star, amirite?

Guys?