Derek Anderson explains his comments today on KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

Wednesday was a rough day for Derek Anderson, who went on a Louisville radio show and blasted John Calipari’s coaching. But today is a new day and he can make things right by explaining his comments on Kentucky Sports Radio.

D.A. will join the show at 10:30 am to win back several members of the fan base that has adored him for 20 years.

You got some ‘splainin to do!

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

73 Comments for Derek Anderson explains his comments today on KSR (Thursday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:55 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I feel sick and will need KSR to get me through the next 2 hrs.

I like the new logo. It’s not that big of a change. I see people complaining about it. It’s not that BIG of a change.

• BeastCat
      10:03 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I would race you for first comment of the day UK_JB but if I were to beat you, Mrs.Tyler would just change it lol

• UK_JB
      12:19 pm April 30, 2015 Permalink

lol… she might. #TeamKSR

2. BeastCat
    10:00 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I’m still pretty salty about D.A.’s comments. That’s not gonna change by him coming on KSR and kissing @ss. He went on UofL radio and played to their fanbase. Go be one of them D.A.

• SeoulCat
      10:05 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

The last time a former player went on the attack against BBN and gave us one of those half-ass “I’m sorry IF I offended you, BUT…” apologies, he followed up his comments with an appearance on the five o’clock news for all the wrong reasons. Somebody put the Apple Stores in the greater Louisville metro area on notice.

3. J-Dub421
    10:02 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I am very upset over Anderson’s comments from yesterday. Which should be evident from all of the comments I posted in that thread yesterday.

4. J-Dub421
    10:12 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

You know what really angers me? All the idiots who keep screaming that Cal should, “WATCH FREAKING GAME TAPE!!!!” If you truly think the team didn’t watch game tape before the Wisconsin game, then you are too stupid to function.

5. Realme
    10:13 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I am getting tired of former, pre-Cal players saying arrogant things about Cal and Cal’s players. Then they realize how tactless and unnecessary their criticism is, that they DO NOT speak for the fan base, and go on KSR and pretend they didn’t say what they said. Sean Woods, Derek Anderson, I’m forgetting at least one more. They are jealous, plain and simple. Their time is over, and current players are getting an insane amount of attention, and they can’t handle it.

6. Realme
    10:17 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I also think Derek should be embarrassed by how transparent his cries for attention have been. When Nerlens and Alex got hurt, he didn’t waste a second before loudly proclaiming to the world how he was dropping everything to go to Lexington and support them. If he cared about helping them, he could have just done it, not drumming up publicity first.

7. CottonMash
    10:17 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

man oh man… Billy Reed was probably sitting there jerking-off while DA was talking.

10:19 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Did you hear Deener cackling like a a mean girl too?

8. J-Dub421
    10:17 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

“If you can teach the game, then you will win.” – Derek Anderson
    He thinks his guy Pitino is such a great teacher, then explain why Cal owns Pitino. L1C7.

• cats paw
      10:22 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

And 20 first round draft picks (UK) vs zero (UL) plays no factor in the wins?

10:27 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Then Pitino needs to change his recruiting tactics. Cal shouldn’t have to apologize for being good at his job. Recruiting is part of the job.

10:31 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Also, if Pitino is such a great teacher, then why can’t he get players into the NBA?? Who is he developing? The 5-star players Ptino gets end up looking like crap and going undrafted.

9. cats paw
    10:19 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

So Matt…when you say the twins wouldn’t improve their draft stock if they come back, you’re saying Cal cannot develop players?

• BeastCat
      10:25 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I guess you are pretty excited about the 1st of the Month tomorrow cats paw. You going on a crack and Crown Royal binge? Get a job and quit trolling……

10:26 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

The twins can’t improve their draft stock because they took a little time to develop but everyone judged them at the beginning of last season (2013-2014). When they struggled a little early everyone started saying they sucked and were over-rated, and they have never been able to shake it. The twins improved a lot during their time at UK, if you can’t see that, then I can’t help you.

10. Realme
    10:23 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I’m also sick of fans complaining about Cal. We are so blessed to be experiencing this era, and some people can’t stop griping. His successes here are so much bigger than his misses. No one can get every recruit and win every game ever. I will stop ranting now.

11. AirForceOne
    10:30 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Derek “Judas Iscariot” Anderson should never be allowed in Rupp Arena again. He threw Kentucky and Cal under the bus, and there is no excuse for it, period. If he is so infatuated with Pitino, then join him as a U of L fan…..we don’t need him.

12. AirForceOne
    10:33 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Anderson needs to turn in his Kentucky ring and any UK memorabilia today. There is no back peddling now….you can’t put toothpaste back in the tube. He and Pitino can get L tattoos and lose together.

13. JoeMoney333
    10:36 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Derek Anderson seams to struggle with syntax, connotation, and the English language.

14. J-Dub421
    10:37 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Derek didn’t know it was a U of L show??? How??? Argh!!!!

15. BeastCat
    10:40 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth D.A. On UofL radio you say one thing. On UK radio you say something else. That speaks to your integrity…….

16. Realme
    10:40 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

didn’t know he was on a Louisville show. loves Cal. most loyal ex-player. every fan said we should have pressed uconn. Is he just really confused about the difference between true and false?

• catdaddyd
      12:33 pm April 30, 2015 Permalink

We should have played zone against UCONN.

12:51 pm April 30, 2015 Permalink

Did you listen to the interview catdaddyd? Realme was quoting Derek Anderson. He said we should have pressed UConn, which would have been disastrous.

17. JoeMoney333
    10:40 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Beep… Beep… Beep…

18. J-Dub421
    10:42 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Anderson is making himself look stupid. He thinks the Harrisons should have pressed Napier or we should have used WCS to press Napier, when WCS was out with an injury and trying to press would have gotten us destroyed.

19. AirForceOne
    10:42 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Anderson sounds like a little kid who just got caught in a lie. Pathetic.

20. J-Dub421
    10:44 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Matt is killing it today. He is asking all the same questions I have been asking since Anderson made his comments yesterday.

21. Realme
    10:44 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

This is what we create as a fan base when we treat players like gods. They get so arrogant and full of themselves, they lose the ability to function like a real person.

22. Laker Cat 18
    10:44 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

DA’s comments pissed me off, but it’s still not as bad a mistake as Rex’s. It’s obvious to me that Pitino’s players favor Pitino over Cal. I probably would too if I played for the guy.

On that note, get out of the past. Present day, would you want your kid playing for Cal or Pitino? Who do you want leading your son into the next stage of his life?

11:04 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Then he should admit his bias and say he is still partially loyal to Pitinio. I would understand that. Don’t have a serious bias and try to act like you’re still all in with Kentucky.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:26 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I agree with you on that. In 1996, you may want your son to play for Pitino. Would that be the same in 2015 after all the moral failures of Pitino since then? Coaching aside, I wouldn’t want him being a father figure to my kid for 1-4 years. That’s my opinion.

11:30 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. Pitino is starting to go the way of Denny Crum. He used to be a great coach.

• catdaddyd
      12:39 pm April 30, 2015 Permalink

He just won a title two years ago, and took a team that couldn’t shoot to the elite eight. That’s not like Crum’s final years at all.

12:52 pm April 30, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t say that Pitino had completed his slide yet, only that it had started.

23. AirForceOne
    10:45 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Anderson is getting crushed. He is full of himself, and let his mouth get him in trouble. Give it up dude….your really sounding stupid.

24. marcmaggard
    10:45 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Cut him some slack Matt ,damn

25. TurnerTheBurner
    10:45 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Not a huge fan of Matt putting the full court press on DA. DA sounds bad but no need to be in full on attack mode……

26. TurnerTheBurner
    10:46 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Talking basketball strategy: Anderson > Jones

27. AirForceOne
    10:47 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

FLASH POLL: How many people will go see Anderson’s movie (if it ever gets made)?

• Realme
      10:49 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Is he trying to get his book made into a movie? If so, that explains a lot.

10:50 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

What movie? I have not heard this.

• AirForceOne
      11:10 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

He’s making a movie about himself….imagine that.

11:19 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

After the past 24 hours, probably not.

28. CottonMash
    10:50 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

So if Cal looses it is his fault/coaching. If Cal wins it is the other coach’s fault/coaching?

I always have a problem with the other team/coach not getting credit for a job well done rather than it always being what the other team/coach didn’t do well. That’s why it’s a game… they don’t hand you the trophy at the door.

29. AirForceOne
    10:51 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

That interview only made me dislike Anderson more. He knew EXACTLY what he said….does he think the BBN is that naive?

30. Go Deep
    10:51 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

being a UK fan doesn’t mean we have to be blind and have no dissenting opinions. We can still love Cal and scream when he backs off at the end of games too soon. He does that and he wins most but has lost a few because of it. I wouldn’t trade Coach for anyone, but he’s not perfect. I yell at Willie but still love him.

31. marcmaggard
    10:52 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Matt wants to love on Rex,no matter what, now crush DA, I dont understand his motives here

11:01 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Rex was strung out on drugs, and later apologized. I haven’t forgiven him completely, but I at least understand. What’s Derek’s excuse?

• marcmaggard
      11:06 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

He disagreed with some coaching decisions and aired it publicly. We all do it but we dont have the platform to get noticed for it. Derek did he expressed his opinion. Should we crush everyone who disagrees with Cal from time to time. Don’t like this. DA just expressed how we all have felt from time to time. Only difference is he had balls to say it and now Former UK all american Matt Jones calls him out. SMH

11:21 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

So you think Coach Cal “pushes players out” all the time? You think we should have pressed UConn/Napier last year? You think another year was going to improve Dakari’s draft stock? Or the Harrisons??

32. dwildslex
    10:55 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Derek Anderson is loyal to Derek Anderson. His Instagram account has stock photos suggesting he lives a lifestyle of the rich and famous. He may be rich, but he’s still a UK bball player…Not a Kardashian. He’s not famous.

33. Cat House
    11:02 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Really it is more about who he said it to than what he said.

34. Blue Elvis
    11:06 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

DA just removed himself from the program for as long as Cal is there. One of my favorite players but as we all know, flame is fleeting. Nothing worse than an aging star slipping into the darkness of irrelevancy, kicking and screming “look at me!” the whole way. Kids today have no idea who he is or even was. Saddened to see it.

35. marcmaggard
    11:07 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Matt is so superior to all us pea ons. Matt we are not worthy of your presence. You are a God in your own head….

36. ukjaybrat
    11:18 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

So if poythress never got hurt, we likely would have finished the season undefeated, playing the exact same way. Would DA still be this critical of an undefeated tram?

11:25 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Thank you, I have been saying the same thing. Alex could have guarded Dekker, as evidenced by the Final Four in 2014. Booker and Lyles got torched by Dekker the whole game, but there wasn’t really anyone else we could put on him.

37. Realme
    11:19 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I appreciate how Matt approaches these ads. When I hear Leland or others do those reads, they sound so phony. Matt acknowledges the awkwardness and makes them funny.

38. Laker Cat 18
    11:24 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Let’s forget the DA shenanigans and start pushing the Brown recruitment. I’m hoping we have a serious shot at adding him to our class. Would make me feel A LOT more comfortable with next season if that’s the case.

11:27 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

We really need a solid guy at the three-spot. Brown could get all kinds of minutes if he picks UK. I hope he realizes that.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:34 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

That would cap off a GREAT starting 5 and would allow us to have some pretty dang good talent coming off the bench. I’m worried about depth a little currently. I’m not banking on Willis, no offense to the kid. The fire and passion Ulis brings to the court will help us a lot more this year. I expect by abandoning the platoon system and having that toughness on the court, we’ll up for another run if we can add Brown. I’d give this class an A if we get him and a B if we don’t. An A gives us a shot.

11:46 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I am excited about getting Alex back. I think he’ll come back with a vengeance after having to sit out last season with the knee injury.

39. tombanjo
    11:25 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

willie aint no richards. check out his son Lukas Promise of the Real. sounds just like his daddy.

40. tombanjo
    11:27 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

the joint is a good song.

41. J-Dub421
    11:29 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I hate when my comments are “awaiting moderation.”

• Cat House
      11:33 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Especially since it really doesn’t mean what it says. It means this ain’t gonna appear in the comment section.

11:41 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I know. It’s especially frustrating since I make it a point not to swear or make personal attacks on anyone. My comments that get moderated are not offensive. There seems to be no method to the madness.

• Realme
      11:44 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

I always try to figure out what keyword or combination of words I used to trigger awaiting moderation, and I can never figure it out. It’s like it’s completely random.

42. J-Dub421
    11:43 am April 30, 2015 Permalink

Cal won’t address things publicly because he won’t throw his players under the bus. He takes the blame for losses to keep the players from taking it. I admire him for that.

43. Bob Ed Thom
    12:04 pm April 30, 2015 Permalink

Come on Matt…..I think the Recruiting this year is a “PROBLEM” only because we HAD NO IDEA HOW MANY PLAYERS WERE REALLY GOING TO GO.
    We felt sure of 4, but Lyles was injured in the summer and sick for a month of the season, so not until late was it apparent he would go.
    And Booker is still a shock.
    If Cal was sure of Lyles, Dakari & Booker back in December, we would have Kansas big Bragg, & IU big Bryant or MSU big Swanigan. Maybe concentrate on a SF like Ingram or Brown.
    I think Bryant & Bragg were dying to come to UK.
    Maybe an early commit from Zimmerman & Newman. I think the lingering questions about the roster turnover REALLY caused inaction/indicision by the kids/our coaches.