Derby Weekend’s Friday News and Views

Image via CNN

There are times I miss living in Kentucky, and there are times I really miss living in Kentucky. Derby weekend is definitely the latter. While I grew up in Danville, not Louisville, the Derby was always a fun time, from the age-old Kroger commercial with the woman sewing the blanket of roses (John Short’s wife, perhaps?) to the stick horse races and hat contests at school, and of course, the pie. In my part of the state, the excitement was mainly confined to just the Derby, but I think all Kentuckians have a spot in their heart for the Kentucky Oaks, otherwise known as the Commonwealth’s day at the races. Not only is it a good excuse for guys to wear pink, it’s a chance for Kentuckians to enjoy one big party at the Downs before things get really crazy the next day. Tomorrow’s forecast–63 and sunny–couldn’t be more perfect, if a tad chilly. Ladies, pack a cardigan.

In the past few years, Derby Week parties have become almost as exciting as the event itself. From Ferdinand’s Ball to the huge Barnstable Brown gala, a predictable list of mostly C and D list celebrities regularly walk the red carpet in Louisville, accompanied by an increasing number of UK basketball players. This year, some bigger names are scheduled to come to the Derby, including Pharrell, Jamie Foxx, Tom Brady, and Miranda Lambert, but I’d argue that UK fans get even a bigger thrill from seeing John Wall, Nerlens Noel, DeMarcus Cousins, and other former greats in their finest threads on the red carpet. Who cares about Travis Tritt? That’s Randall freaking Cobb over there singing along to Boyz II Men! Get out of the way, Joey Fatone! I can’t see Nerlens Noel and Kelly Melton.

So, whether you’re watching the races from Churchill, your house, or afar like me, take pride in this weekend. When the crowd’s voices swell during the chorus of “My Old Kentucky Home,” it’s hard not to.

Before we break out the mint juleps, let’s go over the news of the day.

The Lakers want Cal, but Cal says he’s not going anywhere

When Mike D’Antoni “resigned” as the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday night, you could feel the rumors coming. Like a thundering herd, rumbles about John Calipari taking the Lakers job arrived in Lexington Thursday morning. To his credit, Cal tried to stop them. Early Thursday morning, Cal sent out this tweet to prepare the Big Blue Nation for what lies ahead:

Sure enough, the rumor mill kept on churning, with sources saying that the Lakers will reach out to Cal and UConn coach Kevin Ollie about the opening. Even if they do, Cal insists he’s not interested, flat out telling WHAS 11’s Renee Murphy on Thursday night that he’s not taking the Lakers job. In fact, Cal has bigger things to worry about right now, starting with his hip replacement surgery on Friday. Cal’s having the procedure done in Lexington, and will be out a month to recover. Best wishes to him, and please, BBN, don’t send him any bacon.

1075486

Top center Luke Hiers throws the dice

On Thursday night, Mark Stoops got a long-awaited commitment. Three-star center Luke Hiers committed to the Cats, becoming the sixth pledge in the 2015 class. Hiers is ranked as high as the 2nd center in the 2015 class (Rivals), and had offers from all the big guys, including Ohio State, Louisville, Nebraska, and Miami. Hiers told Scout’s Patrick Loney that he’s actually been committed to UK since October, but wanted to visit before announcing the news.

So far in 2015, the Cats have commitments from four offensive linemen:

Luke Hiers: Center (6’2″ 295 lbs.)
Logan Stengerg: Offensive tackle (6’6″ 327 lbs.)
Larry Wells: Offensive tackle (6’8″ 298 lbs.)
Mason Wolfe: Offensive guard (6’7″, 280 lbs.)

That’s one big line. And we’re just getting started.

I am fine with "Cute pictures of babies with Julius Randle" becoming a nightly feature (Photo @MrsLifeCoach)

I am fine with “Cute pictures of babies with Julius Randle” becoming a nightly feature (Photo @MrsLifeCoach)

“Slice” becomes official

By now, the addition of Barry Rohrssen to the UK coaching staff was the worst kept secret in Lexington. UK finally made the news official on Thursday via press release, in which Cal talked about how Rohrssen  (pronounced “Raw-son”) has been a member of his coaching family for thirty years, back to when the two roomed together at Five Star Basketball Camp as counselors. Little did you know that it was during those days that little Barry Rohrssen earned the nickname “Slice” for putting back so many pieces of pizza. One night, he ate so much pizza he wandered into the girls’ cabins on a dare and barfed in front of Sally Newman! Man, that sure was a hoot.

…actually, Barry earned that nickname during his playing days at St. Francis College for how he “sliced” through opposing defenses like butter. I like my story better. Welcome aboard, Slice.

young-jay-z

James Young signs with Jay-Z

Congrats to James Young, who signed with Roc Nation, Jay-Z’s sports agency, on Thursday. Jay-Z also represents Kevin Durant, Skylar Diggins, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Geno Smith, Robinson Cano, and CC Sabathia. Rihanna, superstar and friend of Jay-Z, congratulated James one week after sitting next to him at an NBA Playoff game. Right now, it doesn’t get much cooler than that.

The Ryan Lemond Derby is set

Of course, the most important thing that happened on Thursday was the draw of the Ryan Lemond Derby. What will Ryan have to do? Here’s the entire field:

DERBY HORSE WHAT RYAN HAS TO DO
Wildcat Red (15/1) Dance with Dancing Guy in Rupp Arena
Pablo Del Monte (50/1) Spend an entire day with Kentucky Joe
Dance With Fate (20/1) Bag groceries with John Short
Chitu (20/1) Play running back against a high school defense
Medal Count (20/1) Five-minute stand-up routine
Tapiture (15/1) Volunteer at a homeless shelter
Intense Holiday (12/1) Nothing (He’s free)
Commanding Curve (50/1) Dress as Bobby Petrino at UofL game
Candy Boy (20/1) Tased by a police officer on air
Ride On Curlin (15/1) Milk Gallon Challenge
Wicked Strong (8/1) Set up a lemonade stand on Nicholasville Road

The favorite so far is California Chrome, or Ryan doing 24 hours of radio, which could actually be kind of awesome. I’ll be rooting for the favorite to win just so I can hear “The Lemond Love Hour,” in which Ryan and his wife, Amanda, take calls from couples about their relationship problems. Gold, Jerry, gold!

Friday’s show is one you don’t want to miss. Not only is it Oaks Day, the guys will have plenty of stories from their adventures at the Ferdinand’s Ball Thursday night. See you then…

32 Comments for Derby Weekend’s Friday News and Views

1. blake
    11:02 pm May 1, 2014 Permalink

First!!!

2. andrew
    12:05 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Need to combine some of them if he does 24 hours of radio. Maybe an hour co hosted with KY Joe while doing an interview with Saul? That’d go over well.

• Bigger Blue
      7:45 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

That would be a great EXACTA bet!

3. Proud Kentucky Boy
    12:06 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Oaks Day has never been know as the “commonwealth’s day”…it’s know as Louisville’s Day at the races. Louisville is tremendously proud to be a part of Kentucky. I wish some of you Kentucky folks would be just as proud to be associated with Louisville.

• andrew
      12:12 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Please. Louisville has nothing in common with the state outside of the metro and their fine with that, and so is the rest of the state. It’s like having to live with your wife you divorced 40 years ago. You live with it, you go there when you want something, but other than that you can’t stand it.

• Bigger Blue
      7:47 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Well said Andrew, although I think you meant “they’re” instead of “their.”

4. Bryan Stevens
    12:17 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler Thompson, I love your posts…..Better than the ones Matthew Jones post lol I LOVE KSR….anyway, I think Julius needs to do a Gerber commercial…..lol…..Congrats to Julius and James….I wish them both well in the NBA and life.

5. Bryan Stevens
    12:23 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Julius = happy babies or toddlers….Mama raised him well

6. Bryan Stevens
    12:32 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

one last thing….I keep looking at the pic of Julius and the little girl i presume….she’s like, I don’t know why Im here, but your smile is contagious….mama made me be here, but your a pretty cool dude…..I don’t know why, but mama does……lol….just a great pic again…….I don’t follow too many former UK players in the NBA, not because of the them, because I just don’t like the NBA….Kenny Walker was the last one I really followed…But Julius YES….I will follow……

7. Bryan Stevens
    12:37 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Goodnight BBN, yea it’s our off season………sucks…….

8. KYFAN
    12:41 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Dear Coach Cal, Listen carefully…Be careful after the surgery is done. Demand complete focus on NOT falling……You do not want to have to call 911 and have to live a nightmare of having MORE surgery after a fall….

9. Bryan Stevens
    12:43 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

sorry, I keep posting….My life without UK basketball men/women/ and football, love my UK baseball/women softball………..I look at old Mike Tyson, Evander Holifield, Muhammed Ali…boxing matches……..I love the reds….thats a whole different subject this season……..I’m going through withdrawls…..I NEED BBN help…lol

10. Bryan Stevens
    12:59 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Ky fan….troll…….that’s not funny it’s a pun on your part…Im just 42…I have hip and knee problems…it hurts….I worked at Toyota for many years…..and it’s not fun to hobble around. I know your a troll….I thought it was only on ky rivals….that’s why I come here and not their anymore……ok gotta go to bed Mrs Tyler Thompson….goodnight KSR…love your board and radio….go Big Blue

• Rei
      1:12 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

What is wrong with you

11. Bryan Stevens
    1:20 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

oh…..kyfan, is young…….running his mouth…..to get his post on rivals…..ok….good KYFAN, do what you got to do…..make yourself look good…post and clip……and say what you said about coach cal, happy for you bub……please put that on rivals…..rupps forum….good job dude you did good…”you’ll say I put this KSR and this is what one person said….hahahaha

12. Bryan Stevens
    1:22 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Rei What?

13. Bryan Stevens
    1:24 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Rei….read his comments..or she….KYFAN….said…..that’s all

14. Bryan Stevens
    1:32 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

no, no and no…..keep posting about my comments, Ive read enough KY rivals for the last 10 years….I know some posters come here looking for something and start something…..and then bring it back….Ive seen way to many Matt Jones bashing over their to know how you all work…….Im done…….I love Matt, Drew Mrs Tyler Thompson, etc…..i will not respond….other then KSR…..Sorry to KSR, I get alittle heated…..Matt I love you bro….especially when YOU go toe to toe Tony V……I cannot will not stand Dave J…….omg…………………..ENOUGH……NAY THUNDER GOD!!!!

15. Bryan Stevens
    1:48 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Matt, if you read some of Mrs Tyler Thompson post or fan comments….My dad had always had subscriptions to Cats Pause since 1980 oscar combs…..well long story short I’ve had it as well…saved every issue no joke…my lil brother teaches at UK I just recently gave him 15yrs worth of Cats pause football/basketball issues…anyway…Matt May, I saw one night at Buffalo Wild Wings….I said HI MATT JONES….lol he went uh….you got the wrong person……lol……So YEA, man I love what you ALL DO….keep it going……

16. Bryan Stevens
    2:06 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

It’s Rupp rafters…i wont lie, I work with my mom as a contractor for a paper I CANNOT NAME see I”M NOT JERRY TIPTON……Im research and development………im saying to much…….but go KSR and Bryan Patrick needs sleep…….its funny….not my real name…IM NOT BRYAN PATRICK….nay thunder god

• Bigger Blue
      8:01 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

I take it that you lost your crack pipe or passed out just after 2 am… good for your neighbors and the rest of us!

17. Old King Coal
    2:49 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Man I don’t know whether to shit or go blind after reading all Bryan’s comments! wtf

• Rei
      3:58 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

That dude is high as crap.

18. Balls McGee
    6:52 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Glad to have Luke in the fold. Hopefully, he will see a bowl game by his junior year.

19. Bigger Blue
    7:38 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Tyler, Tyler, Tyler… “from the age-old Kroger commercial with the woman sewing the blanket of roses ” REALLY? That tells me a lot about you… I am from Danville too, so where you are from is no excuse not to know that Kroger has NOT been doing the blanket of roses for all that long in Derby history. It used to be made by Kingsley Walker a locally-owned florist in Louisville until Kroger decided they could take that tradition away and make that commercial you are so fond of… I remember that commercial differently. I saw the end of the “Kentucky” Derby and the beginnings of the YUM BRANDS kentucky PRESENTED BY KROGER, VISA, AT&T, MICHELOB, AND EVERY OTHER CORPORATE ENTITY OUT THERE derby.

• Blue Biscuit
      9:15 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Kroger has been doing the roses for almost 30 years. For Mrs. Tyler, and many visitors here, that certainly can qualify as age-old. Have a mint julep and lighten up.

• Bigger Blue
      10:32 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

The local florist did it for nearly 70 years… and didn’t try to capitalize on the commercial value of it… My point was that the Derby has sold out and now the younger generation is buying this blatant exhibition of commercialization as “tradition.”

See ya soon at a Cats game in the hallow traditional venue of Wal-Mart Arena in downtown Lex Blue Biscuit!

20. James K
    8:20 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Pretty much every photo of this Luke Hiers kid is great.

21. 9-asty
    8:26 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

How many of KSR’s main writers actually live in Lexington? Seems like it would be a lot easier for what they do if they did.

22. SEC Schedule
    8:56 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

The SEC Network Releases Television Schedule… Take a look at the games over the first four weeks. http://t.co/lA7vLrdUWy

23. Bryan Stevens
    10:31 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

Lol…no its so funny..no crackpipe…lol promise…i just get caught up in the moment apologize to everyone..