Dennis Smith narrows list to six, UK makes the cut

Kentucky only offered 2016 point guard Dennis Smith on Tuesday, but clearly that offer held some weight. According to Paul Biancardi, Smith narrowed his list to six today and Kentucky made the cut, along with North Carolina, Louisville, Duke, Wake Forest and NC State.

Here’s what the 6’3″ 180 lbs. North Carolina native had to say about the Cats:

“Since coach [John Calipari] has been there all they do is win, and win big. Coach Cal puts the players first and he has coached some point guards in John Wall who I know, and Derrick Rose who I love to watch.”

Depending on the recruiting service you use, Smith is either the #1 or #2 point guard in the class alongside Kobi Simmons, whom Kentucky has been after for several months. Simmons says he’s Kentucky’s “guy,” but who will commit to Kentucky first? Smith told Biancardi he’s 50/50 on committing early and wants to take his official visits and host home visits this fall.

Your move, Kobi…

8 Comments for Dennis Smith narrows list to six, UK makes the cut

1. 8 god
    11:15 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

Kid looks like the next Derrick Rose.

• 8 god, the liberal crusader
      12:54 pm July 17, 2015 Permalink

New, more honest username

2. caliparty
    11:17 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

It has become very apparent Cal is pushing for some early commitments in this years class especially in the backcourt. I think you can see Cal has some Primary guys he is watching “I’m their guy” players. (Simmons, Monk, Bridges). However in the last couple weeks/month he has gone out an offered kids at the same position. (Smith, Fultz, Alkins) Seems to be trying to force the hand of the primary targets before fall.

3. cracka
    11:37 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

fact is 1/3 of the top 2016 guys have already committed and we don’t have any, would be great to get an early 5* guy … right now we’re looking at having tai join seniors derek and dom and possibly a junior tyler ulis

• KENTEXAN
      11:58 am July 17, 2015 Permalink

Mulder and Mathews will also be here….. and I think Marcus Lee will probably stay for senior year…

WILLIS
      HAWKINS
      MULDER
      MATHEWS
      LEE
      ULIS
      WYNARD

I think all they will need is maybe three top recruits for 2016 and this team will be well balanced.. Ulis may go Pro…but the 2016 class of recruits is very deep in guards…it will be much harder to get the Center we want from this Class…

• Franklinstein
      1:03 pm July 17, 2015 Permalink

That is NIT roster for Cal

• Franklinstein
      2:47 pm July 17, 2015 Permalink

I wish I was Drew Franklin.

4. UK Freshmen
    2:48 pm July 17, 2015 Permalink

This young man would be a great addition to the team. Go get em, Cal!