ulis-announcement

Tyler Ulis, the night he committed to UK

Let’s take a break from Mark Stoops overload to celebrate John Calipari’s point guard for the 2014-15 season, Tyler Ulis. Yesterday Dave Telep wrote in his “Starting 5” that Ulis deserves all the honors coming his way, despite being cut from a different mold than most elite, John Calipari point guards. He said Ulis will be good in Lexington and Cal will enjoy coaching him, and Ulis will ‘unpack his bags’, meaning he’ll stay at UK for more than one year.

And then Telep went on to write this:

“Ulis, to me, is the kind of kid you want running your team at the college level. He’s under no illusions about his standing. A potential Jordan Brand All-American, he’s not John Wall. ‘All those guards and me, we’re not the same people,’ Ulis said. ‘It’s good that Cal sends a lot of players to the pros. We’ll see how long it’ll take me with my journey.’ Great answer, young man.”

So, yes, Ulis is much short than what you’d hope to see running your favorite college basketball team. But those who have seen him play have nothing but great things to say about his toughness and ability to distribute the ball, and how much fans will love him at Kentucky.

Now go out there and get him some guys who can put it in the basket, Cal.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Dave Telep on Tyler Ulis: “He’s the kind of kid you want running your team at the college level”

1. Bluegrass Stuff
    1:01 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Bright kid, he’s already embracing life in the bluegrass……. check out that horse on this jacket!

2. KevinM
    1:14 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

If Cal can turn this kid into a 1st rounder, this will be his greatest accomplishment on any kid he has turned out….and I remember how Harrow was once considered to be a 1st round selection.

3. Jeremy
    1:19 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

I’m happy to see him join up with Hawkins as a 4 yr player/starter!

CATS

4. Bunny
    1:25 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Hope it works out for Tyler. There’s no doubt Cal will recruit over him so he’ll have his work cut out for him getting playing time – just like everyone else…

5. theSkinny81
    1:31 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

I was all for him from the beginning, but man, I like this kid more and more every day.

6. James
    1:35 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

The more I hear about this kid the more I like him.

And for those of you that are downing him, get a life and go away.

7. Jughead
    1:38 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

NBA needs another Spud Webb. And, condoms.

8. ryan
    1:46 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins will be starting point next year, just watch.

9. Andrew
    2:21 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

What happens to Ulis and his development the first year a 5-star point guard comes in and is expected to take the spot of lead guard?

10. Sam
    2:32 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Wondering if Ulis’ presence on the squad will negatively impact the recruitment of future point guards?

If I were to answer my own question, I’d say that Coach Cal may sell the “Walls / Bledsoe” concept, and just tell the next guy that they BOTH could play at the same time. But what are your thoughts?

11. Mc
    2:41 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Andrew-
    If Ulis is a competitive person, he’ll probably take it in stride and try to improve his game. His game will develop by having those battles in practice which will allow him to become a better player. If he can play, he’ll play. It’s that simple. The class after him doesn’t have high caliber true point guards, so he’ll still have an opportunity to EARN quality minutes whether starting or coming off the bench.

By joining UK, I’m sure Ulis is confident in his abilities, and is willing to compete and help the team. It’s not like he doesn’t know UK recruits great players. Being on the big stage, and in the spotlight that is UK basketball will give him the best possibility to reaching the NBA.

12. jimp
    2:43 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Just like in football, how you can judge a player by the schools who are recruiting them, I judge Ulis by the fact that Tom Izzo at Michigan St. wanted him really badly, and Izzo is a great coach. Since Izzo was after him big time, to me he is good enough to play at UK. I just don’t get how some of you are putting this kid down and he has not played a single game at UK yet. Trust Calipari and his judgement in this.

13. ukfan
    2:53 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins will never and I mean NEVER be a starting point guard at the University of Kentucky. I don’t know why some people even consider the idea (#9). He is going to be a good practice guy and see minutes at the end of a game but that’s it, and that will always be it. I’m not here to knock the kid, just stating facts. He was one bad sweet 16 game away from playing at either Morehead State, Tennesse Tech, Valparaiso or Western Kentucky.. a 3 star ranked 72nd is what he is, period.

14. Jeff
    2:54 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

So many will be proven wrong when Ulis takes the reigns and never gives it up. True pt guard and a magician with the rock. Tough, gritty, and unselfishness for the next half-decade (counting this one year with Harrison) at PG…we are lucky!

15. theSkinny81
    4:18 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

11 – Your post nailed it, making logical, perfect sense –

…..meaning #9 Andrew will not understand it.