Danville’s D’Mauriae VanCleave named Kentucky Mr. Football

Congratulations to Danville’s D’Mauriae VanCleave, who was just named 2017 Kentucky Mr. Football by the Associated Press.

The 5’7″ athlete is the first Danville player to ever win the award after leading the Admirals to a state title in 2017. He was named MVP of that game after scoring four touchdowns and intercepting two passes. He finished his senior season with 82 catches for 1,095 yards and 14 touchdowns, along with 762 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns on 72 carries. He finished his career at Danville with 3,012 receiving yards, 1,317 rushing yards, and 73 total touchdowns, as well as 112 tackles and 16 interceptions on defense.

He is small, but he is FAST, reportedly running a 4.3 forty.

As of now, VanCleave’s only Division I scholarship offer is from Wofford, but UK has talked to him about coming on as a preferred walk-on. Maybe today’s honor will inspire Mark Stoops to keep a spot open for him in the 2018 class?

“I don’t think it’d be a waste of a scholarship,” Danville coach Clay Clevenger told the Herald-Leader’s Josh Moore. “I don’t think it’s something where you’re just throwing it out to somebody. I think he’s somebody, because of his skill set, who could find a way on the field whether it be special teams or in packages or something out.”

From one Admiral to another, congrats, D’Mauriae.

[mobile_ad]

18 Comments for Danville’s D’Mauriae VanCleave named Kentucky Mr. Football

1. ClutchCargo
    3:56 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Looks like a good punt returner to me.

• Cletis75
      5:26 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Looks like Darren Sproles type player to me. Get this guy a scholarship offer immediately. We need playmakers with this type of speed! Seems to have great hands, a must have for great 3rd down backs

2. Ben27
    4:09 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

He could be the first Kentuckian on this years recruiting class with a scholarship. Offer him a scholarship before some other team does. Craig Yeast come to mind? Speed and ability is necessary to win in the SEC.

3. Kat4Life
    4:17 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

He’d be on Trinity’s practice squad.

• Kat4Life
      4:37 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

I wish I had not made such a dumb comment…..I would like to retract that. The young man is obviously well-deserving of the honor……

• Cletis75
      5:27 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Are you saying the staff at Trinity is blind, stupid or both?

• Kat4Life
      8:58 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

More like I’m saying I’m stupid……it was a bad joke on how absurdly talented Trinity is, the teams they field, the way the roll over any Kentucky team, etc…..and honestly, truth be told, he may indeed have a hard time starting at Trinity, hell a lot of guys would…..but it was demeaning to the player who won.

4. Bob Ed Thom
    4:37 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

WOW is that Ryan Lemond towering over the kid in the picture. He is small. But if he can really run a 4.3 I bet there is a place for him on the team. PWO’s get Schollies all the time. I hope he thinks about it.

5. The Professor
    4:37 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Teams can never have too much speed and that is something you can’t teach.

6. CombatMedic_98
    5:16 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Lord help us if they pass on this student-athlete…

7. trumpetguy
    5:52 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Seems like over the years both Fla. and LSU both have had some diminutive slot receivers/special team guys that are fast and elusive. If the kid can catch the ball and make guys miss, I say go for it. Rather have that than a 6-3 200lb. wide-out that drops passes!

8. jaws2
    5:59 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

How BIG is the kid? If he can carry 165-175 I like it a lot. That may slow that time down some.

9. shelby
    6:04 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

U cant teach 4.3 speed

10. Cmart0907
    7:06 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

Give the kid a shot. The least you can do Mark Stoops. You had our hopes up high these last few years just to fail. Give the in state talent a chance.

11. CombatMedic_98
    10:50 pm January 25, 2018 Permalink

And no “star” rating so Stoops will pass! It should be mandatory university policy the KY Mr. Football gets an offer every year. PERIOD

12. Willis talkin bout....
    9:07 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I say give him a shot. At the least you get an athletic in-state kid that will play with pride, could use his speed both in games possibly and in practice to help prepare other to face that kind of speed. Besides if the change that transfer rule, if it doesn’t work out he could transfer to different school. Seems like a Win/Win

13. G_Money
    10:29 am January 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m an Admiral too and I say sign him! Danville kids understand the game

14. kypeachcat
    10:01 am January 28, 2018 Permalink

Is definitely small, but there seem to be a few guys like that around the country every year. Danville has lost four games in the last three years, and has defeated something last me 4 class 6a, and 7 5a teams in the process, not to mention the class 3A state champions. And we are Kentucky. What do we have to lose?