Damaged 9/11 fire truck on display at Fort Knox

c76990256bd04d888a6dbbe73263c0b8-6f700b7738ac46b8b9c2ffdc892c6611-5

We now interrupt your UK news briefly for a moment of remembrance. As I’m sure you’re aware, today’s the twelfth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Can you believe it’s been that long? I think we all remember exactly where we were when the towers went down. I was walking between classes my senior year at Danville High School when the news came out, and after watching the news in AP Calculus, went to the office to get in touch with my sister, who lived blocks from the World Trade Center at the time. Thankfully, she was fine, and with her roommates, spent the day helping people in off the street, giving them water and letting them use their cell phones to contact loved ones. I’ll never forget watching the news for hours that day with my dad. I encourage you to share your stories in the comments section.

Foam 161, a fire truck damaged in the attacks on September 11th, is currently on display at the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky. The truck’s rear driver’s side is still charred and melted, and three of the firefighters that worked on Foam 161 reunited yesterday to see the truck for the first time in twelve years. Read more of their story in this article by the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Thanks to Randy Sigler for sharing it with me.

This .gif is making its way around the internet, and is too good not to share. #NeverForget

807933560

16 Comments for Damaged 9/11 fire truck on display at Fort Knox

1. rick
    12:10 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Makes a football game seem kind of not important. GO CATS AND GOD BLESS AMERICA.

2. Al/in/Indy
    12:11 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

God Bless everyone who lost a family member on that terrible day.

3. Chaz
    12:43 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Have a niece who baby-sat two young children who died with their parents the next day in New York when the plane was flown into one of the Trade Towers buildings. They should be enjoying high school today.

4. Linda Taylor
    1:02 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I was the nanny of my next door neighbors’ two darling little girls. The 4-year-old was at half-day pre-school and the toddler was taking her nap when their mother called me and told me to turn on the tv, that we had been attacked. I watched until the little one woke up and we went to get her sister from school. I kept the tv off except to let them watch a Barney video the rest of the day as I didn’t want them to see what had happened especially since their father was a captain in the Army Reserve at the time. He ended up going back into the Army full time and thankfully made it back from Iraq safely. They are currently stationed in Germany where they proudly wear their UK gear. They named their new dog Keightley in honor of Mr. Wildcat.

5. Sargent
    1:10 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Millions of people honor those who died by courageously re-thinking what happened on 911. Many people don’t realize that a third massive tower (WTC 7) fell that day and it was NOT hit by planes. But it collapsed in seconds at free fall speed, like the 2 towers. How was that possible? Check out the ReThink911 video below by America’s investigative journalist, Ben Swann:

6. MardyBum
    1:23 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

why do Harley dirtballs always swarm around all the 911 & Iraq War stuff?

7. DT in DC
    1:23 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Working a few blocks from the Capitol. Felt the ground shake when the Pentagon was hit. Will never forget driving home past the Pentagon and seeing the smoke and huge gap in the building. I lived 2 miles from the Pentagon and couldn’t sleep that night because of the eerie silence that was only interrupted by the fighter jets circling all night. I’ll never forget because I can’t.

8. Arthur Walters
    1:28 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

I was in the Pentagon when they attacked, and my brother was killed when Flight 93 went down in Shanksville. But sometimes I wonder whether we beat this 11 September drum too loudly, because it encourages the terrorists to beat their own chests about how hard they smacked us that day. We need to stop complaining about the Patriot Act and keep supporting the measures that have kept the Pentagon and other military and civilian targets safe for these past twelve years. Have one day of remembrance a year, then move on. God bless all those servicemen and women who died in the Pentagon that day, and I pray for a special blessing on the families of those who had the balls to act to bring Flight 93, whose destination was the US Capital, down in a Pennsylvania cornfield.

9. Brandon
    1:40 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

8. So we need to be happy about the war on our civil liberties? If you want to live in a full-on police state go to North Korea. For the rest of us we can police ourselves from some dusty, two-bit terrorists and enjoy the freedoms the founders of this country intended.

10. Evan
    1:41 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

11. Jen
    1:47 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

10. That’s an absurd reduction. How about this one? Science bombs living beings into bloody bits; religion comforts weary hearts.

12. Evan
    1:53 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Would we even be fighting in wars without religion? Not that likely.

13. UKGrad83
    2:09 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

@Evan – Political/secular wars are way more predominant than religious ones. Do a little research before you open your mouth.

14. Ugh what
    2:23 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

@10 and yours wasn’t? Religion blows ya to bits too. Clearly we’ve learned that since this all started. Don’t be unreal. All religions have their faults, as does science, and politics etc. Thats the simple truth. Neither is better than the other. Back to UK sports.

15. blue wolf 79
    3:24 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

Wow !! thousands of lives lost in a blink of a eye and you all are arguing about who’s fault it is
    simply amazing

16. buzzard
    3:54 pm September 11, 2013 Permalink

10 – another good video is Loose Change 9/11. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx1GLqvBO8