Dakari’s NBA interest and other goodies from Calipari on Jay Mohr Sports

Jay Mohr of Small Soldiers fame welcomed John Calipari on to his Jay Mohr Sports show on Fox Sports Radio today and Cal had plenty to say in the 12-minute interview.

One of the more interesting things he said (that I don’t believe we’ve heard this offseason) is when he first met with Dakari Johnson after the season, Dakari told him he wasn’t interested in hearing anything from the NBA. But when Cal made those calls to discuss the other guys, at least three NBA GMs showed interest in Dakari. So Cal called him back in his office and said, ‘Hey, you gotta check this out with your mom because you’re another Kendrick Perkins.” Dakari gave it some thought and then decided to return for a sophomore season.

Cal also had a good quote about ignoring haters because we won’t be judged by people with agendas in the future. He said, “Our legacies will be left and judged by people without agendas because they really didn’t know us. And they’ll look at it in a logical way.” Point being, don’t worry about how you’re judged today, keep doing you and what you believe is right.

I think I caught a “servant leadership” mention or three in there, too. Have a listen below:

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Dakari’s NBA interest and other goodies from Calipari on Jay Mohr Sports

1. Logan
    2:29 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

• Dusten
      2:32 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

So he’s banned for 2 or 3 years?

• so what
      2:33 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Rightfully he gets to keep his ownership of the Clippers.

• Logan
      2:35 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Not if the owners force him out dumbass

• Laker Cat 18
      2:59 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

He’ll still be paid $1 Billion + (with a B) for the team. That’s a slap in the face for sure right?

• ^^
      5:43 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

No he won’t. The team is estimated worth 600 million. He’s already a billionaire anyway so trying to bring up money is a dumb argument. If that’s what he wanted he would have sold the team anyway. So yes, it is a slap in the face because he doesn’t want to sell the team.

• You guys don't get it, at all.
      5:44 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Dude was already set for life. The money doesn’t matter one bit. This is a slap in the face because he will live in disgrace for his twilight and off the social ladder he climbed throughout his years.

2. Dusten
    2:30 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I like Cal more with every interview. Give me some more Kool-aid.

3. Jay Mohr
    2:31 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I think my title role in my own TV show which lasted two years is more so my claim to fame that a box office blunder.

• Go wasn't a bust at all.
      5:46 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Budget of 6 mil. Made 30 mil in the US alone.

4. Korean Tacos
    2:34 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Um, Perkins isn’t the best player to be compared to. I mean surely Dakari’s ceiling is more than an overpaid lane clogger who offers no offense and hasn’t been a defensive help in 7 seasons

• Michael F. Jox
      2:54 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing. Why not Al Jefferson?

5. Rick Roy
    2:58 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

THANK YOU…..where were the idiots arguing with me in Tyler’s post sticking up for her when she said it was about Marcus Lee who didnt want to hear about the NBA?????

• Mc
      3:31 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I remember that. I thought a lot of people said it was Dakari in that comment section. Seemed obvious. Especially when it’s been said that he always expected to be in college 2 years.

• MattP
      4:28 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I picked up on that too. I thought it had to be Dakari because he mentioned his mom and everybody knows how much Dakari’s mom has to do with his decisions. I thought it was obvious but MJ made it sound like it was obvious it was Lee.

• No one cares Rick
      5:47 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Grow a pair and let it go. Stop looking for gratification from others, weakling.

6. Jim
    3:02 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I have 2 questions. How in the heck did Jay Mohr get a sports show? And Is there a sports show with a national syndication that Calipari hasn’t been on?

• classof68
      4:39 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Isn’t he the guy who played Bert Sugar (the guy who fired Tom Cruise) in Jerry Maguire?

7. Dirk
    3:11 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Kendrick Perkins is the best comp for him. Al Jefferson is a huge stretch. Not as skilled offensively or as athletic and Jefferson is not a freak athlete by any stretch but he’s a lot better than Dakari

• James K
      3:17 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Have you watched Kendrick Perkins? There are some that think Kendrick Perkins is among the worst PER players in the league, and offensively among the least skilled. He’s essentially big, and that’s it. Horrible, horrible comparison for someone like Dakari. Kendrick Perkins would die to have DJ’s hands and hoops IQ.

• Michael F. Jox
      3:29 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I agree it’s a stretch, but not huge. Kendrick Perkins is horrible. All I’m saying is that Dakari and Al both play below the rim, they’re about the same size, they move about as good as each other, and i don’t see why Dakari shouldn’t try to get to that kind of level. Al has old man game, which is exactly what Dakari is going to have to rely on offensively at the next level. He has great hands and IQ as it is, so it’s not that far-fetched.

8. brian
    3:38 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

the brother in law from Scottsville was funny…i bet he gets tickets next year..

9. UK Greg
    3:48 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

I love That Jay’s brother in law dropped “Larry Redmon’s” I never knew there was a TV in Redmons.

10. Roy
    4:15 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Drew, you guys have to get Jay Mohr on the show in July when he is doing a comedy show in Cincy and playing whiffle ball in Jared Lorenzen’s back yard! Would be a great show!

A bonus if you can add his brother in law Phil from KY that asked Cal if he ever drank at one of the bars he goes to in downtown Lexington, haha!

• I'm a complete Moron but Roy is a TROLL
      4:30 pm April 29, 2014 Permalink

Yea that crazy Phil sure would be great. I mean if he will ask Cal about drinking at a bar, who knows what kind of insanity could break out at any given moment. Like a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off. Isn’t it funny how semi-famous people always have some crazy brother, like Charlie Murphy. Is Phil like Charlie Murphy? Because that would be pretty funny actually. And I hope Cal does have a drink every now and then, he certainly deserves it for all ass-kicking of UL that he has done the past few seasons.

11. Robinson Cano Surprises Some Yankee Fans….You MUST Watch This!!! http://wp.me/p4pLOr-i6