2020 five-star guard Daishen Nix cuts list to five, includes Kentucky

The No. 1 point guard in the class of 2020 has included Kentucky in his final five.

This evening, Daishen Nix cut his list to five schools, with the Wildcats joining UCLA, Kansas, Maryland, and Alabama.

“Picking my top five wasn’t easy,” Nix said in a Twitter post. “There are some good schools with great coaching staffs that are being left off this list, Washington, Marquette, and Arizona, just to name a few.”

While it’s certainly major news that the No. 1 point guard in the nation and top passer in all of high school basketball is seriously considering Kentucky, it’s an even bigger deal when you consider the fact that they were included without Nix even holding an offer.

On Friday evening, I reported on the site that the 6-foot-5 point guard out of Las Vegas, NV was hoping to take an official visit to Kentucky before making a decision, with one source close to Nix telling KSR that it would be a “point of emphasis” to get to Lexington in the very near future.

That being said, sources also tell KSR that there has been a bit of frustration within Nix’s camp about Kentucky’s lack of offer and that it wasn’t a done deal in the slightest that UK was going to be included on this list. While UCLA, Maryland, Alabama, and Kansas were near-locks, I was told around noon today that Kentucky was “fighting” for that final spot. If they didn’t get the feel from the staff that an offer was on the horizon, sources tell KSR that they would not have made the cut.

In short, Nix loves John Calipari and the Kentucky basketball program, and he has been comfortable in letting UK get involved at their own pace. He has openly admitted that the UK coaching staff wants to see more out of him both as a shooter and on defense, something he’s happy to prove he can do. He feels that despite Kentucky’s lack of offer, one is coming.

On the flip side, others close to Nix feel the talented passing guard has done more than enough already to earn a scholarship and believe he should be prioritized. While Kentucky was one of the five-star guard’s favorite schools growing up and his camp understands this, they also don’t feel it is fair to some of the other programs that are dying to bring him in as the centerpiece of their respective recruiting classes.

On Kentucky’s end, sources tell KSR that they have genuine interest in Nix, especially as a passer and leader of the offense, and they are open to bringing him in on an official visit sooner rather than later, but they still want to watch him play more before extending an offer. As mentioned before, there have been concerns about the five-star guard’s shooting abilities.

With Nix hoping to reach a decision in the near future, though, the opportunities will be extremely limited for the coaching staff to make that happen.

As things stand today, UCLA and Kansas are seen as the two favorites to land Nix, though an offer from Kentucky would shake things up in a major way for the talented guard. With an official visit to Lexington now on the itinerary – sources tell KSR this will happen in the coming weeks – we should know one way or the other soon.

Until then, check out some of his highlights below:

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

14 Comments for 2020 five-star guard Daishen Nix cuts list to five, includes Kentucky

1. Cletis75
    9:03 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s no secret that Cal likes to bring’em in for a visit and have a long talk with them before extending an offer. The quicker he gets to Lexington, the sooner that will be.

2. mashman 93
    9:08 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Cal wants Green and Christopher and while I believe he lands Christopher I’m afraid Green wants to get paid sooner rather than later which would mean over seas. Am I wrong Jack? Great work as usual Jack and I can hardly wait for the new podcast.

• Jack Pilgrim
      9:20 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

As of today, the Kentucky staff feels very confident in both Green and Christopher, which makes their recruitment of Nix an interesting one. Do you go all-in on Nix and risk missing out on their two favorite guards? Pass on Nix and risk losing two or potentially all three? Try to go for all three and use Boston as a small ball four? That’s why I don’t get paid the big bucks to make those decisions.

As for the podcast, the wait is almost over. We record live from KSBar tomorrow at noon.

• mashman 93
      9:47 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Oh hell yes for Sources day!!!!!

3. mashman 93
    10:19 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

say damn it

• JLP
      10:27 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Off topic. The comment section is driving me crazy. I can do reply to an actual comment like this one, but I can’t start a new reply. The reply box is at the bottom of the page but every time I get to it new ads pop up sending it back down the page out of sight. This can go on and on and on and on. I use Google Chrome. Is there a setting I have wrong? That reply box use to be directly under the comments rather than under a ton of stupid ads.

• UKFanSC
      10:35 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

I gave the same frustratingly issue. I do all comments on my iPhone to prevent it.

• 4everUKblue
      11:41 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

Try using adblock plus and maybe firefox as a browser.

4. CrystalBall
    11:04 pm August 19, 2019 Permalink

JLP. Don’t have an answer for you, but l know it’s frustrating and hope someone can rectify your problem. Good luck.

5. bigbluenationmbb
    7:13 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Right now he’s going to UCLA if Kentucky offers him he’s going to Kentucky if Kentucky feels the need to offer him green is going to Memphis

6. Cokely53
    7:26 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he got one of Cals double secret scholarship offers, that he seems to be handing out lately.

7. IrishCat
    8:13 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

With all the guards likely to commit in this class, this recruitment is a tricky one for the staff. Not to mention, I still fully expect IQ to be the starter at point, and one if the best lead guards in college basketball as a junior.

8. Ry Robison
    9:42 am August 20, 2019 Permalink

He’s a great talent but for whatever reason he just doesn’t strike me as a UK point guard. I’m not even talking about ability, more just his attitude or approach. It feels off after watching his highlights. Plus when I hear things like “his camp is upset,” it reminds me how much Cal hates when his recruits have that much outside influence.

9. BBNBRIAN
    12:14 pm August 20, 2019 Permalink

In Cal I trust. If an offer hasn’t been extended, there’s a reason. Same as I trust when Cal pumps the brakes or stops a recruitment all together.