D.J. Jeffries Reaffirms UK Commitment and is Recruiting James Wiseman

@BSnow247

@BSnow247

Penny Mania is sweeping the city of Memphis, but D.J. Jeffries isn’t buying it.

The tenth-ranked small forward in the 2019 recruiting class was John Calipari’s first commitment in the class.  Since he made the decision in March, his former AAU coach was hired to lead Memphis’ basketball program.  Even though he has plenty of connections to what could be considered his hometown school, Jeffries is sticking with the Wildcats.

“[Penny Mania] is crazy. I hear it and stuff, but I just try to ignore it, because I know I’m going to be at Kentucky. I hope the best for Penny,” Jeffries told SEC Country’s Kyle Tucker at this weekend’s Nike EYBL event in Indianapolis. “It’s not going to sway me. I’m going to stay at Kentucky.”

One person who could be swayed by Memphis’ Penny Mania is James Wiseman.

The top-ranked junior in America is teammates with Jeffries and played for Team Penny prior to Hardaway’s rise to the collegiate ranks.  Once a lock to Kentucky, now it’s essentially a toss-up between the Wildcats and the Tigers.  Jeffries is doing what he can to convince Wiseman that Kentucky is the best possible collegiate destination.

“I’m trying to work on James,” Jeffries said. “It might be his dream school, because you know, Coach Cal knows what’s best for kids. He’s a top player, he wants to go one-and-done, and Cal’s got a good system to do that, so I think it’s somewhere he would want to go.”

Wiseman has been completely surrounded by Memphis buzz, but John Calipari will not yield.  At least one staff member has watched the Bluff City Legends in every EYBL contest.  When they aren’t watching, Jeffries is talking.

See what Jeffries did against R.J. Barrett last year on the EYBL.

[SEC Country]

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for D.J. Jeffries Reaffirms UK Commitment and is Recruiting James Wiseman

1. chardun20
    12:21 pm April 29, 2018 Permalink

I like Jeffries, he took it right at R.J. Barrett and didn’t back down.

2. Bull Filmer
    5:21 pm April 29, 2018 Permalink

In time, Penny will trade 4 Quarters … worth – you pick – for a NCAA Ship.

3. Cryingtheblues
    3:47 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

D. J. took R J to school and nothing he could do about it.

4. KYFAN4LYFE
    3:51 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Good to hear. I’m sure he wishes he could take back his earlier comments of: ““I’m all in with Kentucky but I listen to Penny because he’s the one that’s mentored me.” “But I’m all Kentucky right now.” That made him sound less than “committed” at the time.

5. TBW3011
    8:55 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

Penny Mania will come to a screeching halt when games are actually played and people remember he’s never been a real coach before and is in over his head.

• Rembrandt
      9:28 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

I seriously doubt you will be right. Hardaway knows the game of basketball. He had an excellent playing career, and he is a successful AAU coach. That doesn’t guarantee anything, but I think he will be significantly more successful at Memphis than Pastner or Tubby were. But Memphis is not a major conference school and will never be a threat to UK.

• BBNDan7
      12:25 pm April 30, 2018 Permalink

AAU and College do not translate well. We’ve seen how much some of these freshman who dominated AAU really struggle

6. mrknowitall1981
    10:30 am April 30, 2018 Permalink

I would fully expect for Memphis to land in UK’s bracket every year in the tournament. Especially if Penny is recruiting and getting one and done type players and battling with UK and other blue bloods on the recruiting trail. The NCAA selection committee would eat that up with the amount of talent on the floor at one time. Plus, the Cal factor with him being the ex-coach of Memphis. This seems like a very plausible situation IMO. How much of a threat that poses to UK and Cal remains to be seen with the players Penny is able to pull in the next couple of years. Penny may not have ever been a coach at the collegiate level, but he will be able to recruit and players want to play for him because they know he has been where they are trying to go.