Cuonzo Martin is trying to mess around and win at Cal

Be careful saying this out loud around your Tennessee friends, but Cuonzo Martin is making moves out on the West Coast. Formerly a Volunteer, Martin is now out in Berkley and he’s on the verge of signing two Top 15 players in the current class, two UK targets at that.

According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, Martin is close to landing Ivan Rabb and Caleb Swanigan. That’s one hell of a duo inside, if he pulls it off.

Not to mention, Martin recently got Jaylen Brown to visit campus when Brown hadn’t been considering Cal at all. Now Cal is in Brown’s final eight schools.

This could be you, Tennessee. (Probably not, though.)

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Cuonzo Martin is trying to mess around and win at Cal

1. jonthes
    12:09 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

It was missed as it usually is with SEC teams that make runs other than UK or FL, but Conzo had TN within one bad call of playing UK last year for the FF. And UK was no lock to beat them.

2. SanDiegoCats
    12:57 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

This is surprising to hear. I went to Saint Mary’s in the Bay Area and had an internship in the Cal athletic department. It’s not a place I would think, at least for basketball, can draw too recruits. Facilities are at the best so/so, Berkeley really draws a specific type of population, San Francisco is close but the Cal campus and its surroundings is not very attractive. In terms of basketball, they’ve been ok but not at the top of a down Pac 12 conference. But maybe Conzo is telling these guys they can change that.

3. SanDiegoCats
    12:57 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Top recruits not too. Sorry

4. poppycat
    1:59 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I think I remember how the football team got some recruits at one time.

5. eyebleedblue
    2:25 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Hahahahahahhaahahahaahhahaahaa ROCKY TOP hahahahahahahahaa…

6. Sp0rtsFreq
    5:47 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I still say that someone needs to let those poor kids know that they are committing to “CAL” the school and NOT “Cal” the coach, because I’m pretty sure that they are just confused!! 😉

@Sp0rtsFreq