Cubs, Cats and more (Thursday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

Today on Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond look back at last night’s Game 7 and ahead to Kentucky’s big game against Georgia.

More Bahamas finalists will be named, too.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for Cubs, Cats and more (Thursday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Cubs refuse to lose in spite of dubious decisions by their manager…..I can’t recall seeing such mismanagement of a pitching staff; and you can’t call a squeeze play when the batter has 2 strikes.
    And, got to love that Schwarber kid, even if he was a Hoosier.

2. So I posted this in response to Drew’s morning post:

DREW: “I can’t imagine the misery of going an entire lifetime without seeing my team so much as reach a championship game, and I was cringing at the thought of the unimaginable pain if they had blown that lead in Game 7. Some people on Twitter said Kentucky fans know that heartbreak from Laettner/Wisconsin, but that’s not even close to what Cubs fans would’ve felt last night. Nowhere near the same thing.”

Sorry Drew, but I have to disagree. I believe the 2 are very comparable. Yes, we have won championships in bball, even as recently as 2012, but coming so close to the first ever 40-0 and having the rug yanked from under us? Ugh. Still hurts.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Agree with Drew…..108 years?

• J-Dub421
      10:20 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

There are a small handful of UK losses that will always hurt. The Wisconsin game, 1992 Duke Elite 8, 1997 Arizona Title game….

• Oh, and the Laettner thing still bugs me too, especially since he should have been thrown out of that game, but the Wisconsin loss bugs me more. SO close to perfection & #9.

What about you guys? Let’s start an unscientific poll. 🙂

• Don’t get me started J-Dub. 🙂

If I itemized all the “so close” years we could have like 15 nattys (I include even some years when we got snake-bitten in the Elite 8, like 1986 when LSU upset us, but we had the talent to win it all).

• Did you all see where Drew (in that same post) had the clip of Sam Dekker falling over his own feel and dribbling the ball off his chin? It didn’t take away the pain, but it made me laugh.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I can’t remember the exact year, but there was a game in the NCAA tournament during the early – mid 2000’s Tubby years where we lost a heartbreaker in double overtime to Michigan State. That one kind of hurts too.

• J-Dub421
      10:30 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I still say that the refs absolutely gave the 1997 Title to Arizona. They shot 41 free throws, including 17 in overtime (we only shot 17 free throws in the whole game), and Arizona did not score a single field goal in overtime. That title should have been ours.

• 1975 v. UCLA (refs weren’t gonna let Wooden lose)
      1977 v. UNC (Final Four I think?)
      2010 v. WVA in Elite 8
      2011 v. UCONN (in Final Four and KNOWING we could have beaten Butler on Monday)
      2014 v. UCONN
      1966 v. TX Western
      1984 v. Georgetown (in Final Four…they beat us legitimately, but we should have played better)

Oh the possibilities! Again, we’ve averaged 1 natty per 10 years since Rupp arrived. It is HARD to win an NCAA tourney, which is why the call it MARCH MADNESS after all!!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Hey, I was feeling good about the Cubs; and, you all are bringing me down.

• Sorry 454! I’ll stop!!! 😉

Congrats on the Cubs!

• Booby Petrino
      10:51 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I replied on your other post. I agree with Drew. Not going 40-0 hurt but that’s kinda being spoiled compared to 108 years of misery.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Agree with Drew. The Cubs losing this game would be much more comparable to the UK football team making it to the title game and losing in OT. For UK basketball there is always recent history and next year to feel great about.

• ukjaybrat
      11:08 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

i’m a cubs fan and booby nailed it. not going 40-0 sucked. really bad. and there will always be what ifs. but i died a little last night when davis hit the homerun in the 8th to tie it 6-6. The game was TIED and I was so distraught I couldn’t handle it. Thank god we won because if the cubs blew a 5 run lead and lost the game, i don’t think i could have gotten out of bed today (it was hard enough on 4 hours of sleep). I didn’t personally suffer all of those 108 years, but i’ve suffered enough and that was probably my second greatest sports moment behind the 2012 championship (yes it tops 96 and 98).

3. Congrats to the Cub fans! I’m a Reds fan, but I was pulling for the Cubbies.

I hate that the Indians had to lose too though. What a game!!! What a series!!! I actually don’t really watch baseball in the regular season much since it’s so slow paced, but this series and that game were anything but boring.

4. CatFanDu
    10:17 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Someone tell Matt that with such a droll delivery, his sarcasm was not funny…I’m with Ryan on that one.

5. J-Dub421
    10:21 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

UK football is on the rise, and I am super excited about that!

6. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Guy Morris had us playing smash mouth football too. I recall us putting the fear of God into some of the SEC teams that we played back then.

7. ukjaybrat
    10:55 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

GO CUBS GO !!!!!
    That was an AMAZING game

8. J-Dub421
    10:56 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I think we’ll have the most fun and exciting to watch basketball team in all of college ball this year.

• Booby Petrino
      11:28 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I agree. These boys have speed, hops, and loads of talent. So excited!

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

We will be Lob City again this season too!

9. secrick
    11:02 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Good baseball game last night, no losers one team won and the other did not. Is this the first football game of the year that no one is saying THIS IS A MUST WIN? It’s good that it’s not .

• ukjaybrat
      11:03 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

“Is this the first football game of the year that no one is saying THIS IS A MUST WIN?”
      Well the bama game lol. but i get your point. it’s nice to be playing for house money instead of needing another win to get to a bowl game.

• RealCatsFan
      11:07 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Yep, not a must-win, but a “sure-would-be-nice” win!

10. ukblue22
    11:07 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Can you provide a working link for i heart radio. LAP and KJK are both down.

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:12 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

If we had beaten Southern Miss to start the season, would we be ranked in the top 25 right now at 6-2? I would think so with our only losses being Florida & Alabama.

• ukjaybrat
      11:16 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

it depends. there a re plenty of 2 loss teams out there and although plenty of conference wins, but we don’t have [m]any quality wins. so it would be close and we’d certainly be on the cusp of the top25, but i don’t know if it’d be a given.

• secrick
      11:20 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Yeah i think so, we only played bad against Fla. I once said if Barker could play i would want him back as starter. I think i was wrong about that, Johnson is doing a good job and can throw just good enough to keep the defense honest.

• BluKudzu
      11:22 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

A good barometer to use is the RPI. You can look at it and see the general direction of those that cast votes. It seems to have a strong correlation.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Florida State has the exact same record we do and they are ranked 19th.

• ukjaybrat
      11:35 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

they have a win over a top 10 team on the road…. we have a win over missouri on the road… huge difference

• Laker Cat 18
      11:46 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I usually follow Sagarin more than most. We’re currently ranked 67 to UGA at 55. Those are usually most accurate toward season’s end.

Tennessee is at 22; Austin Peay at 229; Louisville at 7.

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

True (though it was a neutral site win over Ole’ Miss), but they also have a really bad blow-out loss to Louisville. I am not saying we should be ranked, just pointing out that we have the same record. A few years ago that would never have been the case.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:23 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

CBS Sports picked Georgia to beat UK. They seem to think the UGA running backs will run all over our defense. I can see that going either way.

• ukjaybrat
      11:26 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

our runningbacks still arent getting no respect they can run over defenses too. epsecially if georgia doesnt show up to play.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

Time to cordially welcome CBS Sports to the Boom and Benny show.

• secrick
      11:28 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

They picked them to beat Vandy to and they didn’t but i don’t think Chub played but not sure about that.

13. ukkatzfan
    11:27 am November 3, 2016 Permalink

I believe we turned the corner the day Stoops was hired. We just drove do far into losers town that it is taking some time to get out of that town. Biggest part of the trip is giving up the title of mayor.